: Is this a "freeze plug"?

STS 310
02-04-06, 06:21 PM
From "Its not a whole in the block"

02-04-06, 06:56 PM
Look pretty much like it

02-04-06, 08:45 PM
It is not a freeze plug. The proper name is Welch plug. It gives access to the inside of the head after it is cast. With sand cast heads this is where you get the sand out.

STS 310
02-04-06, 08:48 PM
Yea, after further review I remember hearing that it was used for post-casting.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

02-04-06, 09:07 PM
Is it rusted through? That would be a sign of poor cooling system maintanence.