: So we all love speed bumps. . . .

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 03:06 PM
Wel today dad and I went out to the DIY store for some plastic cladding for the ceiling in the kitchen (he's renovating his kitchen and utility) and the Trooper is off the road right now because the brakes have gone bad, so we had to take the Vauxhall.

10ft lengths of this plastic stuff, mated with a speed bump, equals cracked windscreen. It's going to cost dad 50 for a new one.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/Vectranoplates.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Stuff/vectrascreen.jpg

Night Wolf
02-04-06, 03:10 PM
His first *real* post! Yey :)

If its anything like the states... and you have full coverage (atleast comprehensive), the insurance company will pay for the new winsheild.

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 03:12 PM
His first *real* post! Yey :)

If its anything like the states... and you have full coverage (atleast comprehensive), the insurance company will pay for the new winsheild.

:D Even got pictures to prove it!

It uses his excess, so his excess is £50, the insurance company pays whatever else it costs, but he only pays a maximum of £50 for it.

Still, when you have to pay £48 for each of the brake discs on the Trooper, you're looking at a hefty car bill for this month anyway!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-06, 03:44 PM
Now this I believe :)

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 03:45 PM
Now this I believe :)

:highfive:

Kev
02-04-06, 04:34 PM
I usually detest speed bumps as well but If come to the point that I wouldn't mind seeing just two of them on my street. Nothing too peaky, just enough to keep the bozos down to 25mph so they don't endanger the little kiddies and family pets!

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 04:40 PM
I usually detest speed bumps as well but If come to the point that I wouldn't mind seeing just two of them on my street. Nothing too peaky, just enough to keep the bozos down to 25mph so they don't endanger the little kiddies and family pets!

The ones in question are outside a school, but IMO there are ore effective ways of slowng people down, like chicanes.

We curse it, because not only does it screw the suspension in the vectra, but it makes the Trooper unstable, even at low speeds.

peterb
02-04-06, 07:37 PM
It uses his excess, so his excess is 50, the insurance company pays whatever else it costs, but he only pays a maximum of 50 for it.
Is this what you 'mericans call 'deductible'?

Adam
02-04-06, 08:09 PM
if by his definition then yeah. i got a 500 dollar deductible.

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 08:13 PM
if by his definition then yeah. i got a 500 dollar deductible.

That would be about 1/6th of the value of that car!!

peterb
02-04-06, 08:14 PM
Yep, most UK insurance companies cover glass with a lower deductible than for other claims, so we might have a £50 deductible on the screen but £250 on fire or theft claims and £500 on accident claims.

Adam
02-04-06, 08:18 PM
Yep, most UK insurance companies cover glass with a lower deductible than for other claims, so we might have a 50 deductible on the screen but 250 on fire or theft claims and 500 on accident claims.

i think mine is similar... im not 100% but its something like that... ah hell, i just pay every six months, had one accident and they totaled my car so i didnt have to worry about it. it wasnt even that bad either, just needed a hood, (1) headlight, front bumper, grill, and radiator support. it wasnt much but they said because of the age it was totaled... it was a fully loaded 93 Fleetwood Brougham, no airbag deployment either. cops said it was under 400 dollars worth of damage.

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 08:19 PM
Yep, most UK insurance companies cover glass with a lower deductible than for other claims, so we might have a 50 deductible on the screen but 250 on fire or theft claims and 500 on accident claims.

Thats quite likely actually.

The car is probably worth more on insurance, it's very poorly right now.

Dashboard is lit up like blackpool and the engine is being arsy and cutting out.

Maybe because its about 10,000 miles overdue for a service. And she doesnt like being dirty either. She was last cleaned in, oh, November.....

fast66
02-04-06, 08:26 PM
Hey didnt your son crash the beamer.......oh wait nm

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 08:30 PM
Hey didnt your son crash the beamer.......oh wait nm
:bigroll:

fast66
02-04-06, 08:45 PM
:bigroll:
I had to on your 1st true post!

mccombie_5
02-04-06, 08:47 PM
I had to on your 1st true post!

I understand!!

I'm willing to take the humour for it!

davesdeville
02-06-06, 04:45 AM
I loathe speed bumps. There's a mid-school across from my house, and there are speed bumps on the 2 roads leading up to its entrance. The posted speed limit is 25, back when I had my 205/40/17s on I had to take them at 16 or less or the car would scrape the front valence. In my parents SHO we have to slow down to about 20 or it's quite uncomfortable. Of course in the 75 I can take them at 45 before I start to really notice, but that's beside the point because the 75 isn't a daily driver.

Then at TVI (local vocational school) there is a road with the school on the north side and a fence on the south side. No pedestrians are going to cross that road, because there's a big fence on the other side. Still, they set the speed limit at 10 - and it's like a half mile road. Naturally the speed bumps there are even more rediculous than the ones in my neighborhood, and the Eldo would bottom out at over 7mph. And it's a school for adults, not some damn elementary school where kids might run into the road, there's no reason to have a 10mph speed limit!

It's like, "lets make a perfectly good road." "Ok now that it's good, lets make it a real pain in the ass to drive on by putting piles of asphalt on the road!"

I hate speedbumps.

mccombie_5
02-06-06, 05:29 AM
Of course in the 75 I can take them at 45 before I start to really notice

LMAO :histeric: :thumbsup:

It's like, "lets make a perfectly good road." "Ok now that it's good, lets make it a real pain in the ass to drive on by putting piles of asphalt on the road!"

I hate speedbumps.

Thats my point!

The idea of roads being well maintained is that they are smooth, or at least flat so you dont damage your car. There was a one right outside dad's old house, and to this day he believes it caused the suspension damage to the car we had, even at low speeds, a 6 inch lump of tarmac three or four times a day is going to do some damage whatever speed.

There are also those ones you dont see until youre on top of them and havent time to brake for, those are a real PITA>