: FINALLY test drove a 'V' and......

Katshot
02-04-06, 02:05 PM
I gotta say that I think I'm starting to understand why you guys are so passionate about the CTS-V. I finally took one out for a nice long run in the countryside (mix of highway and twisty country roads) and I gotta say, it's the finest handling car I've ever driven, period! It has MORE than enough power, but that's not what really won me over. I love the balance of the car. IMO, it's as close to a perfect balance of ride quality and handling as I can believe there is in a car. If it wasn't for the ugly interior, the car would really have me thinking about it. If they ever put the STS interior in the CTS (or at least something similar), they'd have a great car.
I do have a couple questions though. Why would anyone finance that car rather than lease it? The lease rates are so good that IMO, you'd have to be nuts to actually buy one. I mean, you have a car that admittedly has poor resale value, yet they (GM) post a rather high residual on them. I was floored when I saw the payments. At the same 36 mon. term, the lease payments were almost exactly HALF of the ones for financing. Seems like a no-brainer to let GM take the hit on this car if they're willing to. :cookoo:
I'm including a couple pictures I took with my cell phone (sorry about the quality) at the dealer.
Also, is a moderate shimmy in the steering wheel common on these? It wasn't REAL bad but very noticable. Even the salesman commented on it.
I had intended to drive both the CTS-V and the STS-V but there's no STS-V's around my area. Matter of fact, this was the only CTS-V around. I had them pull it right off the showroom floor for me! (notice the doors are wide open in the picture) :D

heavymetals
02-04-06, 02:07 PM
Why buy?
Well for one thing, it is real hard to mod a leased car.
Come to think of it that may be the best reason to buy!:canttalk:

shimmy is not common.

BadCad
02-04-06, 02:09 PM
the ugly interior
Huh? What are you saying here? :wtf: To each his own. It goes with the Art and Science theme. No need for a plushy pimp-mobile for me...
Also, no shimmy in mine. Straight and true, it goes where I want it to.

lasstss
02-04-06, 02:11 PM
A lease isnt for everyone. You pay all that money and in the end have nothing to show for it. The bigger issue is that if you have financial issues during the lease period and you have to dump it you always owe more than its worth. That can be dangerous. I bought mine because I have no intentions of selling it regardless of the issues..

CVP33
02-04-06, 02:14 PM
There V has no equal in it's class for the price. Performance and handling are second to none in the $40 - $55 class. The car it totally tossable, stable and secure at the limit and always let's you know when it's about to throw you. The SRT-8 feels bigger and softer and sometimes that's a good thing. While the SRT-8 is as fast and in some cases faster (like anything less than a perfect launch) than the V it doesn't inspire you to drive harder. At least not yet.

BadCad
02-04-06, 02:15 PM
I have no intentions of selling it regardless of the issues..:yeah:

keeksv
02-04-06, 02:59 PM
Imagine that ride you took with a supercharger whining (above the diff whine, that is)....and the Bimmers disappearing behind you in the rearview:bouncy:.

Wheel shimmy is something that has been discussed ad nauseum here IIRC. I have it on odd Tuesdays...actually, it's usually after the car sits for a night, after I have had it out enough for the tires to get relatively warm and soft. Most of the time mine disappears after the tires warm up once again.

Glad you took the time to drive one...

wildwhl
02-04-06, 03:30 PM
Buy it.

Mod it.

Love it.

Mod it.

Hate it.

Mod it more.

Love it.

Kick the shit out of every comer.

Love it even more.

Have them plant it in the ground with you and your dog when it is time to leave this earth :cookoo:

heavymetals
02-04-06, 04:07 PM
Don't think you can't take it with you! :histeric:

http://www.madle.org/ewest.htm

Dennisscars
02-04-06, 04:22 PM
I can't believe you went home without it...:D

you did better than me...

Katshot
02-04-06, 05:16 PM
The car WAS very impressive to say the least. I'm not in the market for a new right now so going home with it wasn't even in my mind (although after the drive it DID call to me). Maybe I shouldn't have said the interior was "ugly" but to me it really is, sorry. The exterior has grown on me and now I actually kind of like it but, the interior is just not up to par IMO. The STS interior "looks" nicer in pictures but I'll withold my final opinion on it until I see a STS-V in person. The one I drove was black on black which has never been a particular favorite of mine. I've had many black cars but NEVER one with a black interior too. The clutch take-up took me the longest to get used to in the 'V'. Everything else just seemed a natural fit. It surprised me the first time I nailed it on the highway (probably about 50mph) and I took it up to well over 100mph and it never gave me the feeling that it had any intentions of slowing down it's assault on my senses! I grinned and said "what a car" to the salesman. Next came the back-road romp. Not too rough on it but the salesman DID make some comments about how I needed to slow down a couple times coming into some turns. At one point, he said that an upcoming turn was so tight that you REALLY need to take it at the posted 10mph, and that a salesman had recently rolled a BMW at that very spot. I took it at a little over 25 in the 'V'. :sneaky:
All in all, I couldn't wait to come home and share my thoughts on the CTS-V. It was a lot of fun! I envy you guys.
BTW, some of you may remember that I recently test drove the 300 SRT-8 and loved it too.
After driving the two, IMO, you can't compare them. They are very different. The MOPAR is bigger and softer, and it feels it too. I'd say it's just as fast but I never felt quite as "in control" in it as I did in the 'V'. The 'V' just "felt" perfect to me. It feels just the right size, the brakes, handling and ride quality are just right, and the power is more than enough to get me in trouble. Maybe it's a good thing I just bought a Jeep Wrangler. ;)
As for the dollars and cents of the car, I just find it hard to justify buying the car rather than leasing it. I know there's the issue of doing mods and all but the resale is so bad and the lease rates are so good. Damn, I mean financially it seems nuts.

CIWS
02-04-06, 05:24 PM
I bought mine because I plan on keeping it for multiple years and don't want to take any mileage hits since it's a daily driver. This car wants to be driven, so I drive it :D

rand49er
02-04-06, 05:24 PM
... some of you may remember that I recently test drove the 300 SRT-8 and loved it too. ...Boy, do I remember THAT! Thought you and a couple of other guys were gonna take it outside.:duck:

Katshot
02-04-06, 05:32 PM
Boy, do I remember THAT! Thought you and a couple of other guys were gonna take it outside.:duck:

Yeah well, you see I CAN be objective. I know I've been vocal about the V's shortcomings from time to time and that's why I wanted to make sure I posted how much I liked the car from the driver's seat.

crowan
02-04-06, 05:38 PM
Has there ever been a better time to love performance cars?

:grouphug:

dqw1
02-04-06, 06:34 PM
So Kat, you getting a V or not?

Dennisscars
02-04-06, 07:24 PM
I'm not in the market for a new right now I just find it hard to justify buying the car rather than leasing it. Damn, I mean financially it seems nuts.

I said the same thing... but still brought it home and :lildevil: :bouncy: :D ever since.

Come on, you know your going to dream about it tonight...:stirpot:

Geno
02-04-06, 08:19 PM
It's like marriage. You buy it because it's a commitment. :)

OldRoadDawg
02-04-06, 08:34 PM
You buy it because it a commitment. :)

YES!! Well said. :thumbsup:

BowenCT
02-04-06, 08:41 PM
I remember my first V encounter.............

It was early '04 (long before I found this forum) and I was in the neighborhood of a Caddy dealer, so I decided to pop in to do nothing more than see if they had one. In no way could I afford one at the time, and I had shattered my humurous (upper arm) a few weeks before so in no way could I drive one either.

Low and behold they not only had one, they had two. One was in the showroom (blk/blk) and was on the lot (blk/blk) for test drives. A sales guy approaches me and we start talking. I immediately tell him that I am 100% only "kicking tires", and he's like, "no worries, I'm bored let's take one for a spin." I then point to my right arm and explain how I can't shift. His reply, "I'll drive." Fair enough. We go out........and...............basically the long of the short of it is............6 months later my arm heals enough to drive stick, I test drive a V for myself, and a week later I am the proud owner of a platinum/blk V. Haven't looked back since! And now I am hooked on this friggin forum!!!!!

kjr39
02-04-06, 08:42 PM
Has there ever been a better time to love performance cars?

:grouphug:

Late 60s/Early 70s.

And, I put 250 miles on mine today. Best time I have ever had driving...ever.

CIWS
02-04-06, 08:48 PM
Late 60s/Early 70s.

This is so true, in so much as the last / best years of manufacture. It looks like these next few may rival those years, as long as we don't start getting into the shats with the Iranians and the price of gas hits 5.00 a gal.

Katshot
02-04-06, 08:51 PM
I said the same thing... but still brought it home and :lildevil: :bouncy: :D ever since.

Come on, you know your going to dream about it tonight...:stirpot:

You're probably right. :bigroll:

Katshot
02-04-06, 08:52 PM
So Kat, you getting a V or not?

No, afraid not. I already have 4 cars and another for my daughter in college. That's plenty for now.

thebigjimsho
02-04-06, 09:10 PM
Even if you can stave off the disease, welcome to the afflicted Kat.:cloud9:

crowan
02-04-06, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately, I'm old enough to have been at part of the 60s/70s musclecar era and don't think that it can hold a candle to what we have today. My old 68 Z28, my 428 Pontiac, and my 340 Charger were bad rides back in the day, but they would get blown into the weeds by today's screamers, with the A/C running! Plus, today's musclecars will handle like go-carts, brake like demons, and encase the the driver in leather and suede.

SUVs (Porsche) are offering more than 500 hp from the factory, and Jeep's Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is running quarter miles in the 12s. If you have the money, MB will give you over 600 hp in the sedan of your choice.

The 60s and 70s were definitely cool, but from today's Mustang GTs, to the GTO/Holdens, to the Vettes, to the SRT-8s, to the Vs, to the AMGs, and to the Ms, there is some incredible machinery hitting the streets for us to drool over.

Now, if only gas was still 27 cents per gallon and I still had my Grand Funk Railroad 8-track "driving" tape: "I'm your captain, I'm your captain, and I'm feelin' mighty sick......" Ahhhhhhhh.
:alchi:

Dennisscars
02-04-06, 09:37 PM
No, afraid not. I already have 4 cars and another for my daughter in college. That's plenty for now.

Sorry man, you sound like a recording of me.....:histeric:

$5 says Kat's got one before tax day...:duck:

by Monday you'll have your first mod already picked out...It's a sickness I tell you...:cloud9:

Dennisscars
02-04-06, 09:40 PM
Grand Funk Railroad 8-track "driving" tape: "I'm your captain, I'm your captain, and I'm feelin' mighty sick......" Ahhhhhhhh.
:alchi:

I had that one too! :histeric:

CIWS
02-04-06, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately, I'm old enough to have been at part of the 60s/70s musclecar era and don't think that it can hold a candle to what we have today. :alchi:

Not that the cars directly compare, just that that era produced several cool muscle cars from most of the major car companies that are still around today. I think these next years could be a repeat of that type of an era, but of course with improved platforms.

Try not to laugh toooo hard at the guy in the pic, but here's my "muscle car" from the high school days. A 72 Pontiac Grand Prix w/ 400hp. I won a lot of races because people thought it was a Mommas car. :D

crowan
02-04-06, 10:36 PM
Great photo! Love the shoes.

I also have an appreciation for your wheels. When I got my drivers license in 1968, I rolled in my mother's 428ci Pontiac 2+2.

It was definitely a great era and comparing the cars of then and today is a bit like comparing apples and oranges (and my 68 Z28 cost me $2700). I never thought I would see a 2nd musclecar era, but I think it has arrived.:highfive:

ylwjacket
02-04-06, 10:42 PM
Great car. Cousin Eddie wants his shoes back, Clark.

keeksv
02-04-06, 11:33 PM

Sell all the others, and buy a V, and you'll still have 4 cars and a daughter in college...:)

Where do you live in Bucks Co.?

I'm up that way in Horsham and Northward occasionally. Wanna drive my car? (04 Maggie/tune/Corsa/Exedy clutch-fly/TB bypass etc., etc.)

Yes, it is an affliction, or it's like a game of tag, and you're "it".

keeksv
02-04-06, 11:37 PM
Great photo! Love the shoes.

I also have an appreciation for your wheels. When I got my drivers license in 1968, I rolled in my mother's 428ci Pontiac

CR:

Did this ride have the radio with the "flipover" dial?

My fav from this era was the '70 Riviera with the large powerplant and even larger drum brakes up front...still makes me misty..

crowan
02-04-06, 11:53 PM
The Riviera is a classic design. That, and the Olds Toronado were fantastic full size rides; way ahead of their time in terms of styling.

God I feel old.:ill:

CR

ace996
02-05-06, 02:29 AM
From my test drive to roughly one week later when I bought it, I couldn't sleep one whole night....just kept imagining someone's picture of the LS6 with the Vette covers....haunting me, calling me. That is a great memory.
-ace

Katshot
02-05-06, 08:03 AM
It IS hard to compare the late 60's-early 70's to now. The cars were definately much less refined than those of today but that was true of the whole industry, not just the performance cars. Hell, these days even entry level cars have as much or more "goodies" in them as the upper level luxury cars did back then. I can't tell you how many cars I had before I had one with A/C or power ANYTHING!
As for being afflicted by the 'V', I must admit, I DID look at it as another car in my garage for a fleeting moment but to be honest, it's just not THAT great to me. From a driving standpoint, it's in a league all it's own but between the steep price to play, the need for several mods (yes, I've already made a list in my mind), the several known "issues" the car has, and of course the fact that I REALLY don't like the interior, I think there's more than enough reasons for me to NOT buy one.
Although a pre-owned 'V' might not be so bad.......
NO! must fight it....must...fight....

Naaaa. Not just yet.

keeksv,
I live in Newtown. Thanks for the invitation but for the sake of my driver's license, and my bank account (not to mention my marriage), I think I should stay away from your car but I appreciate the offer.

CIWS
02-05-06, 08:16 AM
As for being afflicted by the 'V', I must admit, I DID look at it as another car in my garage for a fleeting moment but to be honest, it's just not THAT great to me.
NO! must fight it....must...fight....

Naaaa. Not just yet.

LOOK INTO MY EYES...... YOU'RE GETTING SLEEPY....

http://www.ciws.net/ctsv/kateyes.jpg

rand49er
02-05-06, 10:30 AM
... I'm old enough to have been at part of the 60s/70s musclecar era and don't think that it can hold a candle to what we have today ...Yeah that. Back in the days, I had a '64 tri-power GTO 4-spd and a '69 350/350 4-spd Vette, and :yeah: .

keeksv
02-05-06, 11:04 AM
keeksv,
I live in Newtown.
Lived in Southampton for years
Thanks for the invitation but for the sake of my driver's license,
hasn't stopped me from driving it
and my bank account
not going to charge you to drive
(not to mention my marriage)
over-rated..can always get another
I think I should stay away from your car but I appreciate the offer.

j/k...I'll let you know when I'm back up that way...would like to see your caddy. My previous car was a B-body.

eric

Dennisscars
02-05-06, 11:26 AM
LOOK INTO MY EYES...... YOU'RE GETTING SLEEPY....

Now that's funny....:histeric: no wait...zzzz:yawn:zzzzz.. don't have room for two....red one for the wife... valentine's day coming up....zzzzz

Katshot
02-05-06, 02:58 PM
j/k...I'll let you know when I'm back up that way...would like to see your caddy. My previous car was a B-body.

eric

That would be great. Loved your responses to my post. Made me laugh, especially the last one! ;)

Kadonny
02-06-06, 09:02 AM
Nice read Katshot.

What dealer did you visit?

Katshot
02-06-06, 09:06 AM
Fred Beans in Doylestown,PA.

daytripper
02-06-06, 09:22 AM

Good write-up. I agree the interior kills sales on a $50k car, though guys here will argue that to death.

Fred Beans is the dealer I'm thinking of using for service on the V. Got any history with them or stories to share. Not really too sure which dealer in the area to go to.

Brian R.

Katshot
02-06-06, 10:09 AM
Sorry, I have no experience with them at all. They just happened to be the only dealer around me that had a 'V'.

Kadonny
02-06-06, 10:20 AM

Ah, ok. Fred Beans dealerships are usually pretty good, but I have no experience with Doylestown. Cool.

Daytripper. I just ordered mine through General Sales in West Chester. They seemed excellent and really concerned with service, but I have not had any experience yet. From what I hear though, they know the V. I referred another user here to them, I have not heard how he did.