: Wiring for Towing, 91 Brougham

ndnrider
02-04-06, 04:39 AM
I'll be running to Phoenix and towing a trailer back soon with my '91 Brougham. I keep getting different information about wiring for trailer lights. Some say just wire into existing wiring while others say I need a powered convertor. Anyone with exerience/recomendations on this? Thanks for any information.

Big_Blue
02-04-06, 12:59 PM
you can wire into existing wires but its only done with you have no choice. The power draw from adding more lights can heat the existing wires until they burn causing a lost in rear tailights entirely. Also the power inverter will supply more power to your hitch lights making them brighter and not dimmer from the load when using the existing wires.The power inverter is just like a relay and uses the signal from your brake lights and has its own power which is safer. When I purchased my flatbed tow truck used the person before me at wired tow lights to the existing wires and I didnt know until I suffered a power loss in my rear lights. I had to search the entire truck to see what wire had burned out but thankfully my truck body is exposed and it was a matter of following the wires back and forth until I found that the ground wire had seperated from the frame and that was a easy repair.

Do it the correct way if your gonna do it because the I Dont Know What Happen being explained to a electrian can be costly when retracing your wiring harness to see what wire burned

brougham
02-04-06, 04:47 PM
Just splice the trailer wiring into the wiring that's already there. Unless the wiring is really crappy in a Cadillac it won't be a problem.