: What fun.....

Night Wolf
02-03-06, 08:57 PM
anyone near the state of Florida must know about all the rain we have...

when it rains in FL, it sucks... everything floods, there is no where for the water to go, so it sits.

When you have a freakin massive storm, EVERYTHING floods.... complete roads are under a foot of water, Bed Bath & Beyond in St. Pete collasped, we were at the hanger for half the day today, that hanger leaks like crazy! My apartment complex is totally flooded! Atleast half of it.. my building is the half way point, so right infront its clear, but damn...

So, driving the Coupe, I really didn't have a choice but to go bajaing thru the water.... I had go to the bank and get gas etc.... well, thinking back to lots of stuff I have read about off-roading, going thru mud and water crossings, it kinda gave me a good understanding of somethings... and for the most part it was good. When driving thru parking lots, I manually downshifted into 1st to keep the RPM up and some speed... on the major roads I'd downshift to 2nd while the car wildly goes all over.... it was bad. With all the rain all over, the brakes were totally soaked, I would have to hit the pedal nearly to the floor to get the car to stop quick, otherwise it was just very spongey.

so on the service road for the highway that leads to my apartment, it was REALLY flooded, without seeing it in time, and the right lane being alot worse then the left lane, and someone being in the left lane, I had no choice but to power my way thru it... 2nd gear it went and I hit the gas.... I hit the water kinda hard, it was pulling the car like crazy... water was spraying all over the windsheild from my car and other others... that I was trying my best to keep the car in the lane... I couldn't hear much of anything besides water spraying everyone, and when I look down, I see the (digital) speedo is displaying 85, and everyonce in a while, 86.... great, I was bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd gear because of no traction.... I get that under control....

pulling into my apartment complex it was far worse more flodded then when I came home for lunch... lots of cars were stalled and pushed to the side and stuff... well, I was going, had the car in 2nd gear doing about 18mph, figured a steady speed would be best (that was probably a bit too fast though) I mean this water was nearly up to the door on the car. There is a really low spotin the parking lot, but right before that, a speed bump.... well, between me hitting the brakes... not even that hard, then going over the speed bump and into the low spot... I just saw a massive rush of water come over the hood and the charge/oil light came on and the engine quite. I put it in neutral and coasted a bit... then stopped... I thought the situation over a bit... here i am in my car, I open the door and the water is up to the door edge, so I roll up my pants, get out.. check the tail pipe... its clear, thats good, so I pop the hood... the whole engine bay was soaked... I remove the air cleaner and water comes out... great... so I try to kick it over... nothing at all... starter tries, but nothing.

Now I am thinking... its gotta be hydralocked... but with the tail pipe clear and only a short period of time that water entered the intake, it shouldn't be too bad.... I was hoping it would turn over enough to open the exhaust valves and blow it out... Since the engine was idling when it ingested water, it had no choice but to stall... if I had the revs up, I bet it would have stumbled a but kept going.

So I walk back to my apartment (a good ways) I get ready to drive the '79 over with my tool box... then think.... heh, yeah right (wasn't going to go all the way, but still) so I walk the tool box to the car... there, I start removing the spark plugs, figuring I should blow the water out of the cylinders.... standing in calf-deep water I am working on the car. These spark plug wires have been remove once before and 1 of them broke, well, now alot of them broke (2 so far) the metal piece stays on the plug when you remove it (even after twisting back and fourth) so a buddy from school who lives there comes by and helps me push the car up a bit and across 2 parking spaces, where it is dry.

Once we got it there, it started raining again, I said frig it, I'll finish it tomorrow if it stops raining. I got 3 front plugs removed and was removing the 4th when my buddy came by (so its still in there) I removed the strut bar and a few of the wires and was working on removingthe plugs from the back (a MAJOR PITA) but I'll finish it tomorrow.

I tried turning it over a few mre times... nothing, its gotta be hydralocked. I don't think the engine is gone though. But that battery is tempramental, and while it holds a charge and shows fine levels, it runs down kinda quick... so I am trying to keep battery useage to a minimum.

This sucks... but people ask me why I have 2 cars... ths is why. Atleast I still have a car to drive around.... I know now though to take it a bit more easy thru the water. The '79 has the open air filter raised about 3" higher then normal, so that should be fine.

tomorrow I am going to give it another try turning it over, with half the plugs removed... if I can get it started, then I'll nurse it back infront of my building on whatever cylinders its running on, then I can go from there, atleast if it was by me again, I'll be happy....

Here are some pictures of the water, it dosn't look that deep in the pictures, but it was deep. Also that is where the Coupe sits as of right now....

Night Wolf
02-03-06, 09:04 PM
Ah well... driving thru all the water today, it was kinda putting a smile on my face, knowing that when I get the Jeep and start off-roading, I'll be doing this sort of stuff all the time.... then it also got me thinking... damnit, if I had a Jeep I woudln't have gotten stuck there....ugh.... I wonder if GM makes a snorkel for the 4.9 similar to those for the Jeep? :)

Stoneage_Caddy
02-03-06, 09:14 PM
does it even turnt he engine , or does the starter just go "clank" against the flywheel ?

if shes hyrdolocked she wont even turn ....

take the cap off , dry it with a towel , spray it with wd40 and try again

you also need to keep the RPM down when going thru water , the slower its turning the beatter , keep the piston speed low , so if water does enter it hits slower , and the engine wont be generateing so much vaccum ....would you rather hit water going 60 or 10 ?

doesnt matter if water gets into the exuast , it might stall the engine , but at least you wont hyrdo lock it ....

Sandy
02-03-06, 09:22 PM
That just suxxs Ric! Man, you'd be better of going back upstate, N.Y. I feel really badly for the Coupe. She doesn't deserve that.
Was anyone killed in BB & beyond ?

Night Wolf
02-03-06, 10:25 PM
I don't know the details about BB&beyond...

It dosn't even crank, just the starter against the fly wheel, I don't even know if the crankshaft moves.

I know for a large around of water, lower RPM is better so it wont do damage but remember reading somewhere that with a higher RPM it'll allow the engine to blow it out without stalling... though it is still trying to compress water...

It stopped raining, atleast for now... the water here (the apartment complex) is going down in some places. I just went over to the Coupe and tried again.... nothing... I get to have some fun tomorrow, or Sunday now.

About the exhaust pipe, on the Jeep site, it is widely told that, say when doing a water crossing if the engine stalls and the exhaust pipe is under water, even if the intake is clear, not to start the engine, as it'll suck the water back into the engine and cause hydrolock....

the cops are all over, some stop lights aren't working... there are even wrecked cars just sitting on the side or in the median of the road... I guess waiting for a tow truck... its pretty bad.

Here is the BB&B story:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006/2/3/142392.html

The roof collapsed because about 4 inches of water was on it.

Heh... 4". I tell ya... everything down here is flat roofs, not like NY where it NEEDs to be sloped.... that is just begging for trouble.

More of whats going on:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006/2/3/142399.html

pictures:

http://www.bn9.com/content/36/2006/2/3/142422.html

school bus crashes:

http://www.bn9.com/content/36/2006/2/3/142427.html

People freak with the rain though... I could just imagine snow... ricers and other low cars were getting stuck and water was up to the hubs when they weren't stuck... it was pretty bad.

Right where I am seemed to the be breakaway point... everything North wasn't as badly flooded... somewhat... but everything South, towards St. Pete.... damn... thats what was in those pictures... to give a reference on those pictures that list the avenues, I am 142nd Ave N.

The worst happens, I ask a buddy here to help me push my car back to my apartment... its a little ways, but its stright, left turn and stright... totally flat except for small speed bumps.... atleast if I park it on the side at my building it isn't as bad.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-03-06, 10:33 PM
dont use the starter anymore ...remove all plugs and rotate the engine by hand .....the starter will spin the engine too fast ...bar it over to get the majority out , spray wd40 in the plug holes and let her sit for a day , dump all engine oil too ...

any way to get compressed air to the car to blow out the plug holes ?

Elvis
02-03-06, 11:20 PM
Take a good look at this picture, it looks like you can see daylight through the window.

http://www.bn9.com/images/news/2006/2/3/lgruf2.jpg

It's not a partial roof collapse, it's a total roof collapse. That had to be scary.

Night Wolf
02-04-06, 01:52 AM
dont use the starter anymore ...remove all plugs and rotate the engine by hand .....the starter will spin the engine too fast ...bar it over to get the majority out , spray wd40 in the plug holes and let her sit for a day , dump all engine oil too ...

any way to get compressed air to the car to blow out the plug holes ?

The starter will spin it too fast? I remember seeing stuff where it'll blow the water out thru the spark plug holes and such.

I'll have to pick up a breaker bar, don't have one down here.

The engine oil.... heh, I knew that one was coming... I *JUST* did an oil change last weekend... Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance... $45 right there.... the oil is really trashed? I did that oil change myself when I visited family up North... I just don't trust shops on alot of stuff... that would suck to have to not only drain brand new oil, but also get an oil change done... I pulled the dipstick and it looked normal, though that is probably a bad way to tell....

ugh....

the worst part is... nearly all the water at the apartment complex is gone... if only I went in the front instead of the back..... this really sucks.

Night Wolf
02-04-06, 01:53 AM
Take a good look at this picture, it looks like you can see daylight through the window.

http://www.bn9.com/images/news/2006/2/3/lgruf2.jpg

It's not a partial roof collapse, it's a total roof collapse. That had to be scary.

yup, same thing I was thinking.....

slk230mb
02-04-06, 02:34 AM
Sorry to hear about that Rick, but hopefully it will all work out.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-06, 11:33 AM
Ah well... driving thru all the water today, it was kinda putting a smile on my face, knowing that when I get the Jeep and start off-roading, I'll be doing this sort of stuff all the time.... then it also got me thinking... damnit, if I had a Jeep I woudln't have gotten stuck there....ugh....

hahaha Rick anything will make you think of the Jeeps.

I could see you during the apocalypse saying "ya know if I had a wrangler with the 4.0 and the Dana 44 axles, I could get to heaven a LOT faster!"

terrible one
02-04-06, 11:55 AM
hahaha Rick anything will make you think of the Jeeps.

I could see you during the apocalypse saying "ya know if I had a wrangler with the 4.0 and the Dana 44 axles, I could get to heaven a LOT faster!"

HAHA My thoughts exactly!

Think how much money mechanics will be making pretty soon :canttalk:

Night Wolf
02-04-06, 01:16 PM
well, since its probably not practical to push the car the whole way, I figure I'll just give the Allstate roadside assistance thing a call and have them send someone over that can move the car to my apartment for me... I may do that before our meet today....

Night Wolf
02-04-06, 03:57 PM
Well, lots of progress was made....

I went back and finished removing the spark plugs... what a PITA, 5/8 of the wires broke when removing, so then I had to get pliers and remove the freakin piece off the plug itself....

anyway, all 8 are out.. the plugs, which are AC Delco double platinum spec'ed for '95 4.9.... are kinda nasty looking... plus after the hell I went thru removing them, I am just going to put new ones in....

this will be my 4th set of plugs... the origanal AC's in the car, the Bosch +4 platinum I put in, then these AC's I put in... now I do it over... new wires are a must anyway.

So a couple buddies from school that live at the same complex helped me out, one guy had some experience with such stuff before, so that was cool. I cranked it over with the plugs remove and it shot out water everywhere... didn't hold it, but just quick bumps, it blew alot of water out. The intake manifold was a lake as well...

so we were able to push the car all the way back to my building and into a spot... so its here...

I got my car wet/dry vac and attacked a staw on the end and sucked the water out of the intake/EGR passages... its dry now...

I have a new can of sea-foam... I figured its like WD-40, but better for this application, so I sprayed it into the intake a bit.... the little straw on that isn't long or flexible enough to spray into the cylinders... I'll have to see what I can do about that.

So then I turned it over a bit more to maybe get some of the sea-foam in the intake manifold into the cylinders...

thats where it is now.

Probably tomorrow... maybe Monday I'll get new plugs and wires and fire it up....

I dunno if I even need to spray sea-foam into the cylinders... yeah there is still moisture in them, but it should dry.... If I can get around to getting plugs/wires tomrrow, I don't think it'll bother anything.

Well, I'll shower up then head over to Tampa for the meet :).

lux hauler
02-04-06, 04:36 PM
Well, lots of progress was made....

I went back and finished removing the spark plugs... what a PITA, 5/8 of the wires broke when removing, so then I had to get pliers and remove the freakin piece off the plug itself....

anyway, all 8 are out.. the plugs, which are AC Delco double platinum spec'ed for '95 4.9.... are kinda nasty looking... plus after the hell I went thru removing them, I am just going to put new ones in....

this will be my 4th set of plugs... the origanal AC's in the car, the Bosch +4 platinum I put in, then these AC's I put in... now I do it over... new wires are a must anyway.

So a couple buddies from school that live at the same complex helped me out, one guy had some experience with such stuff before, so that was cool. I cranked it over with the plugs remove and it shot out water everywhere... didn't hold it, but just quick bumps, it blew alot of water out. The intake manifold was a lake as well...

so we were able to push the car all the way back to my building and into a spot... so its here...

I got my car wet/dry vac and attacked a staw on the end and sucked the water out of the intake/EGR passages... its dry now...

I have a new can of sea-foam... I figured its like WD-40, but better for this application, so I sprayed it into the intake a bit.... the little straw on that isn't long or flexible enough to spray into the cylinders... I'll have to see what I can do about that.

So then I turned it over a bit more to maybe get some of the sea-foam in the intake manifold into the cylinders...

thats where it is now.

Probably tomorrow... maybe Monday I'll get new plugs and wires and fire it up....

I dunno if I even need to spray sea-foam into the cylinders... yeah there is still moisture in them, but it should dry.... If I can get around to getting plugs/wires tomrrow, I don't think it'll bother anything.

Well, I'll shower up then head over to Tampa for the meet :).
Get some oil or spray lube in those cylinders ASAP.....that bare metal will rust quickly with all that moisture. I've seen metal rust overnight just from humidity in the air.....THEY WILL RUST!!!

DopeStar 156
02-04-06, 11:42 PM
Well it's good you got everything all situated. Glad nothing's really shot.

Once my town got flooded pretty bad. I was on my way to high school with the Fleetwood and the water was up to the wires on the hubcaps. Everywhere I drove I was firing water out of the sides of the car. I picked up my friend Ty at his house because he usually walked to school and it was raining pretty bad. He was cracking boat jokes all the way to school haha. We got to our school and there was a huge low spot what looked pretty deep. For two years now I've always bought military boots as my daily footwear so they're waterproof all the way up to the top. I got out and walked all the way to the low spot and shoved a stick in it to see how deep it was. It looked to be pretty deep, deeper than what I was driving in. So I went back to the car and popped the hood, raised my plastic snorkel for the air intake a few inches and out of the direct path of the grille, got back in the car, looked at Ty and said, "Watch this...."

I backed up a few feet, put it back in Drive and floored the gas. I hit the low spot going like 45 and just as I predicted all the water shot out the side and not up. The Caddy sailed right through that puddle and we made it to the lot which was flooded up to the whitewalls on my tires since my school was on a slight hill. I parked, engine was still running smoothly. I cut the engine and we went to school. I guess the RWD cars I think they ride a little higher than the FWD cars would have a slight advantage. I'm not talking tech, just experience. I saw a few cars (expecially lowered imports :lildevil: ) that were dead from the water. It helps to know what you're doing with your car.

Night Wolf
02-04-06, 11:57 PM
Get some oil or spray lube in those cylinders ASAP.....that bare metal will rust quickly with all that moisture. I've seen metal rust overnight just from humidity in the air.....THEY WILL RUST!!!

Well... that isn't happening....

with no light, it being 11PM, and not having a means of getting sea foam form the can into the cylinders.... it'll wait until tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll just get new plugs and wires... probably cap and rotor too, yeah I replaced them before, but it can't hurt it... MAYBE even a new coil... though these may wait until later as I don't have the money for all this right now....

I think any slight surface rust will rub/blow out once its fired up.... really, it can't be any worse then it is now, its not like it'll be sitting for awhile... plus after I was turning it over a bit I can smell fuel, so there is gas in the cylinders.. between that, and any sea-foam it sucked in, it should be ok...

Mike made a good point... I sill need to be careful about a hole in the piston... I mean, that would just suck, and it dosn't seem like it is an issue right now, but I won't know until I fire it up.... also a future head gasket problem may be possible... again, hope not, as there is no way I can afford to do any serious enigne work on this car.

*IF* anything major went wrong... then I'll drive the '79 for the time being, and on my Spring break, fly to NY and drive the Olds back and use that... the Coupe would then get driven/towed.... whatever up to our new house getting built and stay there.... again, thats a big IF... but I think/know she'll be ok... those cylinders and intake manifold were flooded.. most the water is out now and tomorrow I'll give it a try on starting once I get the new plugs/wires.

Night Wolf
02-05-06, 12:00 AM
Well it's good you got everything all situated. Glad nothing's really shot.

Once my town got flooded pretty bad. I was on my way to high school with the Fleetwood and the water was up to the wires on the hubcaps. Everywhere I drove I was firing water out of the sides of the car. I picked up my friend Ty at his house because he usually walked to school and it was raining pretty bad. He was cracking boat jokes all the way to school haha. We got to our school and there was a huge low spot what looked pretty deep. For two years now I've always bought military boots as my daily footwear so they're waterproof all the way up to the top. I got out and walked all the way to the low spot and shoved a stick in it to see how deep it was. It looked to be pretty deep, deeper than what I was driving in. So I went back to the car and popped the hood, raised my plastic snorkel for the air intake a few inches and out of the direct path of the grille, got back in the car, looked at Ty and said, "Watch this...."

I backed up a few feet, put it back in Drive and floored the gas. I hit the low spot going like 45 and just as I predicted all the water shot out the side and not up. The Caddy sailed right through that puddle and we made it to the lot which was flooded up to the whitewalls on my tires since my school was on a slight hill. I parked, engine was still running smoothly. I cut the engine and we went to school. I guess the RWD cars I think they ride a little higher than the FWD cars would have a slight advantage. I'm not talking tech, just experience. I saw a few cars (expecially lowered imports :lildevil: ) that were dead from the water. It helps to know what you're doing with your car.

Yeah, today I was looking at the '79.... and that is a high sitting car.... plus the high side-wall tires help too... with the air intake nearly against the hood, that would be a pretty decent car to drive thru water, heh...

Stoneage_Caddy
02-05-06, 12:17 AM
Well... that isn't happening....

with no light, it being 11PM, and not having a means of getting sea foam form the can into the cylinders.... it'll wait until tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll just get new plugs and wires... probably cap and rotor too, yeah I replaced them before, but it can't hurt it... MAYBE even a new coil... though these may wait until later as I don't have the money for all this right now....

I think any slight surface rust will rub/blow out once its fired up.... really, it can't be any worse then it is now, its not like it'll be sitting for awhile... plus after I was turning it over a bit I can smell fuel, so there is gas in the cylinders.. between that, and any sea-foam it sucked in, it should be ok...

Mike made a good point... I sill need to be careful about a hole in the piston... I mean, that would just suck, and it dosn't seem like it is an issue right now, but I won't know until I fire it up.... also a future head gasket problem may be possible... again, hope not, as there is no way I can afford to do any serious enigne work on this car.

*IF* anything major went wrong... then I'll drive the '79 for the time being, and on my Spring break, fly to NY and drive the Olds back and use that... the Coupe would then get driven/towed.... whatever up to our new house getting built and stay there.... again, thats a big IF... but I think/know she'll be ok... those cylinders and intake manifold were flooded.. most the water is out now and tomorrow I'll give it a try on starting once I get the new plugs/wires.
well thats worst case too , ive seen this happen a few times , and one we got running again , thought we were ok , but the headgasket let loose when the water atop the piston hit the head so damn hard ....streched the head bolts or something ....the hole in the piston was nasty too , alumium pistons and all ....

the diesel witht he bent rod was by far the most awesome carnage , a 4v71 detoroit ...In a drag line crane ....The guy running it had the tracks 180 degrees off , so when he put it in forward to chage his position in the hole he acutally went backward , into the lake ...everything but the cab and boom was submerged ...Took 3 bulldozers and 5 dump trucks tied to it to get it back out of there.....Once out winter had fully set in and the water insdie the crane froze ...so we left it for dead till summer ....

One thing led to another and vantines day rolled around , day before the squadron commnder said to fix the damn crane , so thats when i was out there placeing heaters and such inside the engine comaprtment to get the ice out when a lone F-16 dropped its bombs on me from 35,000 feet , missing me and the crane by 200-400 yards ....

DopeStar 156
02-05-06, 01:07 AM
Yeah, today I was looking at the '79.... and that is a high sitting car.... plus the high side-wall tires help too... with the air intake nearly against the hood, that would be a pretty decent car to drive thru water, heh...
If you're gonna do what I did, it makes a world of difference in your success rate if both you and passenger both yell out a genuine Dukes of Hazzard "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" as you hit the water. Did you yell? That might be why you took on water....

Haha all kidding aside, it sounds like you have everything under control and I doubt anything will happen to your Coupe. I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure you'll have the Coupe back on the road soon enough.

Night Wolf
02-05-06, 01:33 AM
If you're gonna do what I did, it makes a world of difference in your success rate if both you and passenger both yell out a genuine Dukes of Hazzard "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" as you hit the water. Did you yell? That might be why you took on water....

Haha all kidding aside, it sounds like you have everything under control and I doubt anything will happen to your Coupe. I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure you'll have the Coupe back on the road soon enough.

Well, prior to getting stuck in my freakin parking lot...

I was plowing thru everything and anything! I the gas station I hit the gas on purpose to fly thru the water.. it was fun! On the road it was 3 lane and nobody was in the right lane because it had more water then the other 2... well, I was in a hurry so I got in that right lane kept it in 2nd and hit the gas... water was flying all over... and thru all this I had the biggest grin on my face, plenty of Dukes of Hazzard sounds and all that too! I was actually having fun driving fast thru the water and splashing around and stuff... more then then simply driving fast etc....

which is why I REALLY need the Jeep damnit! I'll be doing that all the time... and in mud, then its even more fun... I swear, I have more fun doing off-road type stuff in my car.. then car stuff... the slightest thing like driving over a curb (don't worry, they are curved here in FL) or over bumpy roads, thru water etc... puts the biggest grin on my face....

I often think that when I was 16, an early N* Eldorado or a Jeep YJ would have been the better vehicle for me... but then again, MORE horsepower OR the abality to drive over (larger) things probably woudln't be the best thing for me at 16... I got enough speeding tickets with the 4.9 and 3800.... and I drove over and thru enough things in all my cars... I have the large dents on the floor pans and frame rails of the Oldsmobile to prove that one too :)

Ah well...I think deciding, and finally in the future getting the Jeep TJ will be one of the best things to happen to me automobile-wise... I mean, I wanted to drive around just for the hell of it thru the water...

Another thing when I did hit the water in the parking lot... at the same time I went over the speed bump, hit the low spot and hit the brakes, a big truck was oncoming and made a large wake... that was enough to literally cause a wave of water to go over the hood and in the windsheild of the car if I pop the hood, on the whole radiator is just leaves and stuff stuck to it from so much water.... it really flooded the whole thing...

Well, tomorrow I get to do more work and have some fun... hopefully if all goes well, she'll be running again in less then 24 hours :).

Night Wolf
02-05-06, 01:35 AM

BTW if you ever get the Brougham air born... all 4 tires off the ground... thats really where the YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH comes in! and prepare for some ultra light steering response :) just be careful when the car comes back down because the suspension likes to then rebound up again, making you airborn a 2nd time :)..... not that I know of course.

Night Wolf
02-05-06, 03:43 AM
Well, the wire set... Xact, 8mm... same thing that was on here, same thing on the '79 and same thing on the Olds... is $28.. so I'll get that...

the AC Delco plugs are $6 each.... I dunno, I had them, I'd like to try those NGK Irdium... heard good things, but they are $7 each.... lets just say I got the AC's... thats $48 for spark plugs....

sorry... but after spending $55 on those Bosch +4 (I don't have them here... back in NY or they would be going back in :) ) then $50 on the AC's, I'm not about to spend ANOTHER $48 for the AC's... they were serisouly put in right before the move.

So when I go to Advance tomorrow to get the wires, I'll pick up wire brush or the link (since mine are pretty ratty) and give my plugs a good cleaning... frig that, thats alot of money, these plugs are new and they'll clean up.

Maybe i'll pick up an oil filter and some Mobil Delvac 15W-40 while I'm at it... that may be about $15 total..... this will be the first time, ever that I owned the 4.9 that I put something besides Mobil 1 synthetic in it... ugh... but after seeing the back side of the butterfly blades and the gooy, white paste... I don't want to run the engine any more then I have to... *IF* I do pick the oil up I'll probably just change it out before I even mess with the plugs or whatever.... I mean, fresh oil, I probably would run it thru the OLM and stuff, and the Delvac is good stuff... but shes got nothing but synthetic.... ugh... a 300 mile oil change, this has got to be a record for me... 50 bucks down the drain....

I'm just ticked at the whole situation.... ugh.... plus that oil change thing really bugs me.... oh well.

Night Wolf
02-05-06, 08:47 PM
Ah man... one of the best feelings in the world is getting an engine started after doing a whole bunch of work on it :)

So today I got new spark plug wires, another bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner, oil drain pan since i thought I had mine, oil filter and 2 1 gallon jugs of Mobil Delvac HD Diesel oil 15W-40.... the plugs that were in it are nearly new, not even 6k miles on them, I wasn't about to spend another $50 on them. So I got some wire brushes and cleaned them up... look like new :)

I first did the oil change... this oil had about 300 miles on it, Mobil 1 syntehtic I wasn't going to get an oil filter.. figured just drain the old oil out and whatever.... well... the first thing I did was remove the oil filter.... it wasn't the nice clean amberish tint of new Mobil1, and it wasn't a black color of old oil... it was a light brownish/white/brown color like diahrea... nasty... I was glad I changed the filter. so then I drained the oil... my gosh, even worse... this stuff was really nasty... when I brought the old oil to Advance even the guy made a comment about that oil.... a week old and 300 miles... there had to be lots of water in it.

upon taking the wires off the cap, the prongs in the cap were breaking! So I got BACK to Advance to get a cap and rotor... get that, go back and start putting it all together. Its the wrong cap... is a regular GM HEI cap with the push and turn latches, this has the other style with the 4 hex screws.

go back again... now its getting later... get the right cap and rotor... come back to the car... all 8 plugs are in already and the front 4 wires are routed... now I get to do the back 4... fun...

So I get them all in.... plug everything in, look everything over... only thing thats off is the air intake stuff...

the battery is dead... stupid battery looses its charge quick... so I get the '79 next to it and pull out the jump cables...

the 4.9 turns over with all the plugs in... good sign...

but it quickly drains whats left of the battery...

so I am going back and fourth between keeping the 425 revved up a bit with my hand on the throttle under the hood, then walking back to the Coupe...

did that about a dozen times...

finally the start motor only turned to the engine jumping in RPM a bit while turning over... then the battery would go dead so I would have to repeat the process....

then it would slowly start to fire on its own... gaining in RPM... matching the starter in RPM... finally I hold the starter a while... the engine kicks over, and I let go of the key... it chugs along a bit, I remove the cables and open the throttle plates by hand a bit... running rough, but running...

lots of smoke out the tail pipe from the sea-foam in the intake manifold... alot of water blew out the tail pipe too and was dripping out... so I kept it running, also wanted that battery recharged...

it was smoking from the front and back of the engine... back I figured oil spilt form the filter... front.. who knows... lots of stuff was spit over of the spark plug holes the last couple days, so I figured to keep running it... besides rougher then normal it seemed ok, even when I would rev it...

then I got worried... I pulled the dip stick, my brand new clean oil was now a whiteish milky substance.... first thing that came to mind was head gasket... I pull the oil cap... that stuff is all over it... I look at the tail pipe and a little smoke is coming out...

I figured to try my luck and take it around the block... so I do... nothing over 40mph, easy acceleration... keeping an eye in the mirror... no smoke or anything... so I go back and look everything over.... still a little smoke from the tail pipe, the oil cap has a little more of that milkish stuff on it, but the oil on the dipstick didn't seem any worse so I clean the oil cap and put it back on... so I say what the hell and take it out into the highway...

while getting onto the highway, I run it wide open... keeping an eye on everything, it looks ok... I go down a bit.. up to about 65mph and turn around.. another WOT...

get back to the apartment, the engine is running alot smoother... the miss I heard at the tail pipe is gone, the smoke from the tail pipe, is gone (my guess is the sea-foam) I looked under the oil cap... as clean as when I left it... the oil on the dipstick... definitly has a whiteish tint, but was better then before... had more of an oil tint then anything... Plus the old oil, still a tiny bit in the pan from the way it was jacked up, and there will be some in the engine etc.... so it may have just mixed around a bit.

I think it needed to be ran, and some water in the oil may have boiled off... it was all the effects of what was in it, now it is cleaned out and seems to be ok... I'll check the condition of the oil tomorrow....

I'll do another oil change with the Delvac in a few days.. out of money right now, but I'll be getting money Tuesday or Wednesday... if the oil looks in OK shape tomorrow, I'll drive it the next couple days... if it looks iffy, I'll take the '79... 1 more oil change and that should clean it up...

I still am not throwing out a blown head gasket, but right now the only indication is somewhat milky looking oil at times... but there are too mny factors... with another oil change that should get most of the old stuff out, and if that milks up, I know I have more problems in the future... if not.. then I should be good to go...

4.9 is a beast though.. it really is a cool engine...

funny thing is... the last 2 times the plugs were changed, I gave up on the rear 4 and my father did them... well, now I *had* to do them... removing them was a pain... putting them back on though was pretty easy.. just used some common sense and they went right in, I coudln't believe it... one of the many times something seems very hard to do, and while doing it, I say I'll never do it again.... but then I do it and its like, well, that wasn't so bad... changing plugs/wires on the 4.9... while it still is a PITA... it is much more doable then I thought it would be.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-05-06, 09:20 PM
I think youll be fine after another oil change .....im fairly sure youll be just fine on the headgasket ....but now you know what i was saying about the oil ....dont run her too much that way ...cam and main bearing are alot beatter then they used ot be but you still dont need water imprenated oil in there ....

Useing delvac eh ??? I saw you peeking under gladys's oil cap at the meet , you must have seen something you liked ....the crankcase had alot of varnish in it , but there was no way for me to determine if it was from the previous owners 110,000 miles of "whatever oil" or my 40,000 miles of delvac ....and really looking over the stock oil pump im not seeing sludgeing issues .... and really delvac will do a little beatter for you at this point in time due to its anti foaming agents

lux hauler
02-05-06, 10:45 PM
Maybe I'm a little paranoid but there's no way I'd run that engine before the oil is changed again.

Night Wolf
02-06-06, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I have a habbit of looking under each and every oil cap when someone pops their hood... kinda weird :) some engines (like the 307) you can't see anything...

the Coupe now has 114,500 miles on it and is super clean under the oil cap...

the Delvac this oil change though was nothing more then me simply not having enough money for Mobil1, and for a few bucks overall more then regular oil.... I figured it woulf be good... plus it was "highly reccomended" :). I was so short on money I wasn't going to get the filter and 2nd jug of oil.... and I had to borrow $30 from a buddy for the cap and rotor... I'll be getting more money early this week, so I'll repay the debt and do the 2nd oil change...

I didn't care about doing this oil change and work on the car in the parking lot... too bad, their parking lot got flooded... but I was surprised how well it went in general...

I used my mini-floor jack and jacked the car up, I laid a towel on the ground to catch any stray drips and I had the big drip pan... of course when the oil filter comes off, oil on the 4.9 goes everywhere, but it caught it... and draining the oil pan it was fine.... only time it got messy is when I was fillling the jug up with the old oil, I stopped, looked like alot more room, started pouring hen over it went... on top the towel atleast... I cleaned the spill on the pavement, and you can't see a thing...

I just may do my own oil changes... I mean 1 on each car ever 4 months or so isn't a big deal.... I miss having a large driveway and our own house... this apartment stuff sure does have some drawbacks.... oh well.

I am glad I didn't get it started on the old oil, or that I didn't decide to to the plugs.wires first etc...

It was cranked over a bunch with that oil... so I guess it did go thru the system... but nearly with no pressure or anything.... that was really nasty tho...

I still have the old oil filter and about 2qts in the drain pan (since 1 jug is only 4qts and there is still good oil in the other one) so maybe I'll get some pics tomorrow... nasty stuff.... I mean I wouldn't even run it in a lawn mower or something (come on... geat way to recycle premium synthetic oil with 300 miles on it :) )

yeah, I figured all the ZDP in the Delvac will be good.... then again that Mobil1 full synthetic Extended Performance has loads of ZDP in it... thats how Mobil claims the 15k oil change (which I don't do... the EP has 30% more ZDP then regular Mobil1)

the engine sounds normal, runs normal... starts up *quicker* then it did before... go figure :) It does have new wires (says enhanced with silicone wire.. old ones weren't... both Xact 8mm) and new cap and rotor.... the wires were about a year and a half old, the cap and rotor were about a year old IIRC, showing some signs of wear... and I got all 8 AC Delco double platinums looking like new.... and they are... with not even 6k miles on them... it did get a minor does of Sea-Foam (again).... but who knows... I dunno if the Delvac has anything to do with anything.... of course I'd like to say it was quieter and more peppy.... but I've been driving the '79 for 2 days now and last time I drove the Coupe I was fording thru feet of water... so who knows.... I'll probably use Delvac on this up coming oil change, just because its alot cheaper...and hell, I'll give it a try.... if the oil stays clean I'll reset the OLM (again) and most likely go back to Mobil1 synthetic EP next time around....

Night Wolf
02-06-06, 12:19 AM
Maybe I'm a little paranoid but there's no way I'd run that engine before the oil is changed again.

Yeah, I took it out a little today to see how it was... mostly make sure there is no head gasket problem... and running it up clear alot of problems (smoke/miss/rough runnning)

But I think I'll let it sit for the next couple days.... school is only 5minutes away (literally) so even if i drive it to school, I doubt the oil would warm up to proper temp or anything... I'll take the '79 for the next couple days.

Night Wolf
02-06-06, 12:27 AM
should I get some of that engine cleaner stuff that you put in the oil and run for 15mins then drain it? would it help to break up any water/white milky stuff in the engine and drain it all out?

Night Wolf
02-06-06, 12:35 AM
ok... heres what I am going to do...

flat out drain the Delvac, replace the filter...

get the cheapest Advance Auto 10W-30 oil and a new filter and the engine cleaner stuff... put the Advance brand oil, with the cleaner in... run it for 20mins at idel or whatever...

drain that out, and refill with Mobil1 synthetic EP 10W-30.

That will get everything out and clean it up real nice.....

it'll have to wait though, so I'll leave it for the next couple days.

lux hauler
02-06-06, 02:43 AM
ok... heres what I am going to do...

flat out drain the Delvac, replace the filter...

get the cheapest Advance Auto 10W-30 oil and a new filter and the engine cleaner stuff... put the Advance brand oil, with the cleaner in... run it for 20mins at idel or whatever...

drain that out, and refill with Mobil1 synthetic EP 10W-30.

That will get everything out and clean it up real nice.....

it'll have to wait though, so I'll leave it for the next couple days.
I'd keep changing the oil and refilling it with the cheap stuff until it comes out with no signs of water then put the "better" stuff in.......run it for a few minutes between each change. Change the filter each time too. I'd get the cheapest stuff you can find.

gdwriter
02-06-06, 03:10 AM
Hey Rick, for future reference, you might try Blaze's grandma's trick of driving through the water in reverse (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=441286&postcount=19). :D

davesdeville
02-06-06, 07:16 AM
Wow dude I didn't see this until now. Consider yourself a very lucky guy in that you didn't bend a rod or trash a piston.

And I wouldn't blow off lux's advice about rust on the cyl walls so easily. Even if rust does come off, some of it's going into the oil, and the rings aren't going to seal well... hope you didn't screw yourself there.

Night Wolf
02-06-06, 12:51 PM
Well, I drove the '79 today...

poped the hood ont he Coupe just now.. the dip stick looks really clean, like new oil... under the oil cap is some condensation...

this oil is going to get drained, new oil with engine cleaner will be ran for 20mins or whatever, that will be drained and it'll get refilled...

I think she'll be fine :).

lux hauler
02-06-06, 01:56 PM
Wow dude I didn't see this until now. Consider yourself a very lucky guy in that you didn't bend a rod or trash a piston.

And I wouldn't blow off lux's advice about rust on the cyl walls so easily. Even if rust does come off, some of it's going into the oil, and the rings aren't going to seal well... hope you didn't screw yourself there.
Yep, a few small rust pits can allow oil to blow by.
I wouldn't worry too much about the engine cleaner.....just make sure the oil is clean.

70eldo
02-08-06, 05:45 AM
Hope your Coupe will be running allright soon!

And while we are talking flooding:
I was in flight school in Tucson, Arizona in '99-2000. I guess it is pretty well known there's only 10 days of rain in the spring and in the fall all year through. But then it really comes down! Flooding some deeper area's.
Anyway, a classmate of mine had a lighted yellow rubber duck mounted on his hood as hood ornament and was having great fun driving his car through the water, spraying water to the sides. His buddy was with him in the back seat filming this adventure with his new digital camera. He figured he would have better pictures when he would film out of the opened window. So he stuck his head out the window filming the water spraying from the wheels. Then, he didn't see the uncoming traffic spraying just as much water... yeah, you feel it coming. He got a pretty good shot of the water spray that hit him full in the face! HAHAHA

Then to imagine this guy is an airliner pilot now...

Night Wolf
02-08-06, 07:59 AM
lol! Cool story :) Never know with us aviation guys ;)

Well, the Coupe is running and the oil looks fine... but i haven't been driving it.

Hopefully today I'll be getting the money order... more cash.... I'll drain the oil that is in it now, refill it with some engine cleaner, drain that then fill it back up... then start driving it again :).

Night Wolf
02-09-06, 12:35 AM
SO......

today with some cash in hand, I went to Advance....

came back and did the oil change(s)

I changed out the old (new, lol) oil without even starting the engine. It looked pretty good... minimal signs of water, but clean.

So I bought the cheapest oil filter I could find... Advance Auto brand baby! $2.50 :) and the cheapest oil... Advance Auto brand :) $5.50 for a gallon jug of 10W-30. Then I bought a quart of MAG-1 engine flush or something like that... $2.50.

So I put the sweetness of an oil filter that the AA brand is, on there, poured the 4qts of ultra high quality AA brand oil in, and the quart of engine cleaner. This cleaner is THIN, like water thin. Yeah, thats only 5qts total and the 4.9 calls for 5.5, but oh well... only ran it for 15mins...

I didn't even take it off the jack.jack stands, or remove the oil pan or anything from the car... just left it as it was, started it up, let it idel a bit to warm up, then held it at a fast idel with my hand for about 5-10minutes (as per the directions) I waited until the cooling fans kicked in, then help it a bit more. I noticed some smoke from the tail pipe... my guess is, the oil was so thin from that cleaner, that some of it may have been getting past the rings or something... no weird noises or anything though and it ran fine.

So after running that, I drained the oil... it was clean, no aparant sludge etc... in it, little traces of probably melted down varish and stuff... but clean... and thin, that 1 qt. of engine cleaner thined out the 4qts of oil pretty good.... probably why there is a big warning not to drive with that stuff in there... any major engine load and cause damage.

So I put the nice AC Delco filter on, and, since I am still short on money, I got another gallon jug of Mobil Delvac 15W-40, and I had 2qts left from the previous container. I put all 6qts in there, put all my stuff away and took it for a spin....

I am going to leave the Delvac in there for a full cycle... yeah it ruined my "not a drop of anything besides Mobil 1 since I owned it" but that kinda happened when I decided to drive thru a lake :). Something I noticed though, the noise that all 4.x seem to have on startup... is alot quieter and much shorter.... sounds like lifters.... at an idel with the hood open the engine sounds much quieter as well, all you really hear are the injectors clicking (Ford 4.6 orange Bosch injectors). So I am interested to see how it'll be for the next ~5,000 miles... who knows, maybe I'll stick with it... I am interested to see if the oil leak will go away. I haven't been able to see where its coming from... it "appears" to be coming form the oil cooler lines... but I dunno, it may be higher, I thought the distrubutor, but I cleaned that and it stayed clean even after leaks on the ground. So I'll see... IF the mysterious oil leak does stop, I'll be much more inclined to keep using the Delvac... still though, it would be like all that Mobil 1 full synthetic for nothing... I dunno, gotta see... I'd like to switch back to Mobil 1.

So I took her out twice tonight.... sitting in traffic, highway driving etc... everything seems perfectly normal. The only thing that raises concern is... when I was running the engine for 15mins on the in between oil change.. I was getting traces of the white milky paste on the bottom of the oil cap... if in fact there is more tomorrow, or after driving it awhile... then I dunno... MAYBE the head gasket(s) are bad, its never done that before... hopefully it was just from what happened and being ran etc.... it hasn't been ran THAT much since I first got it started... so who knows... there was more water/condensation then normal coming out the tail pipe, but as the engine ran longer and warmed up, that went away.

But it runs great, if anything it feels more powerful then before.... runs fine... you'd never know anything happened... in fact when me and a friend went for pizza tonight, we took the Coupe, and he forgot all about the hydrolock... and he was the one steering while me and another buddy pushed the car about a 1/4 mile tru our apartment complex :).

So I spent.... $100 on stuff? yeah... NOT counting the $40 oil change a week and a half ago... thats the killer. Out of this though, I do have nice and freshly cleaned (new) spark plugs. Brand new spark splug wires and brand new cap and rotor... the old wires, can and rotor were only about a year and a half old... but it never hurts it :). So besides 2 extra oil changes, and the fact I changed out Mobil 1 full synthetic Extended Performance after only 350miles.... really no loss on my part. the 4.9 survived hydrolock and continues to kick ass..... now in 30 years from now when my kids ask me about all the cool things I did with the Coupe, I can add hydrolock to the list of other equally cool things, lol :).

So really the only thing left is to monitor oil consumption, if any... as well as coolant, if any... keep an eye on the oil cap thing and see... otherwise just enjoy it :) hard to believe how much 5 days of not driving it will do... I started missing it alot.... the '79 is a great car, but its not the Coupe... and while the Coupe isn't perfect in any given thing, its about the most perfect car, for me, and I have yet to drive a car that even comes close to being as whole and well rounded as the Coupe :).

lux hauler
02-09-06, 01:06 AM
That stuff on the underside of the cap could be from the engine being run and not brought up to temperature. Once it is brought up to normal operating temps a few times, that may go away.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-09-06, 01:13 AM
it should go away after awhile wolf ...no reason yet to worry about the headgasket , montior coolant useage , and all that ...

Id imagine there is still a ton of condenastion in that engine , there is proly still alot of moisture in the PCV system and elsewhere that will work itself right out if you say took the car on a long highway run ....lets say 45 minutes @ 70-75 mph....

delvac will quiet these engine down a bit , i noted that when i made the swtich myself ..heavier oil , more pressure for those lifters and all that jazz ...

if your getting maynoaise on the oil cap after running the engine ont he stands for 15 minutes and had a head gasket issue id venture to say youve lost alot of coolant in the recovery tank and the engine is overheating ...and i dont think you have any of those issues or you would have reported it ....

so , take her out for a nice ride on 75 for 45 minutes so everything comes up to temp , then poke around it ....

id invite you up to land o lakes for pizza or something ...but after 11am tomorrow i wont be able to eat solid food for a few days (oh joy)

Night Wolf
02-09-06, 02:43 AM
That stuff on the underside of the cap could be from the engine being run and not brought up to temperature. Once it is brought up to normal operating temps a few times, that may go away.

yeah, I was thinking that too... but its NEVER done that before....

I'll check it int he morning before I go to the hanger... since i drove it around a lot tonight, it should have had time to do its thing...

Night Wolf
02-09-06, 02:53 AM
it should go away after awhile wolf ...no reason yet to worry about the headgasket , montior coolant useage , and all that ...

Id imagine there is still a ton of condenastion in that engine , there is proly still alot of moisture in the PCV system and elsewhere that will work itself right out if you say took the car on a long highway run ....lets say 45 minutes @ 70-75 mph....

delvac will quiet these engine down a bit , i noted that when i made the swtich myself ..heavier oil , more pressure for those lifters and all that jazz ...

if your getting maynoaise on the oil cap after running the engine ont he stands for 15 minutes and had a head gasket issue id venture to say youve lost alot of coolant in the recovery tank and the engine is overheating ...and i dont think you have any of those issues or you would have reported it ....

so , take her out for a nice ride on 75 for 45 minutes so everything comes up to temp , then poke around it ....

id invite you up to land o lakes for pizza or something ...but after 11am tomorrow i wont be able to eat solid food for a few days (oh joy)

hmmm...

well the coolant hasn't gone down one bit from when I last checked it... its still a bit below the full cold level..... and I checked the radiator, it looked great...

there probably is alot of condensation... I notice condensation on the oil cap....

seeing as how the WHOLE engine was flooded, well... I bet theres alot going on... I am still pretty amazed at how well the 4.9 took the whole thing... I mean, it was totally flodded...

The highway driving is a good idea... in fact I think it'll get get done tomrorow... every Thursday evening a my Church is a meal for $5.... $5 for a college student for a whole home cooked meal.. chicken or roastbeet etc... damn :). Well, the Church is up in New Port Richy...a good 45mins each way or so... not steady highway driving, but it should help it out, then the return trip....

I checked the trans fluid... red, smalls good, full.... one thing I noticed, not sure about previously... when I wiped the dipstick on a napkin, it would leave behind black stuff... clutch dust? like it would be on the dipstick and as I rubbed it off the dipstick would get more shiney, but stick it back in and it starts over...

maybe it was from not driving it for 5 days? I checked the trans fluid right after the oil changes and before I headed out for pizza....

The whole hydrolock thing woudln't really weaken the engine or cause premature wear, would it?

I added a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner to this tankful (added one in when I did the oil change last weekend) but I figured with the Lucas helping upper cylinder lubrication and cleaning out the valves... it would probably be good if there was any rust and stuff within the engine.... can't hurt it.

Night Wolf
02-09-06, 10:36 PM
Da Coupe is back! :)

So I drove a total of about 80 miles tonight...

never missed a beat... some high speed driving, WOT and all the fun stuff....

She is running real nice... better then before, probably from the new ignition stuff.

Nice and quiet, no engine noise on startup etc.... when I pul the dipstick, italmost looks like theres nothing on there, but thats because the oil is so clean, hold it to the light and you can see the oil.... So far this Mobil Delvac 15W-40 looks promising... I wonder if it'll still be leaking oil now...

Drove her around alot... too her to the car wash, gave her a bath :) Washed down the whole engine (as if it hasn't seen enough water :) ) then drove some more... its great to have the car back :)

oil and coolant levels are stable, and no more condensation/white stuff on the oil cap, just clean oil... she needed to be driven, thats all :).

I think I did the best I can to get it running again, engine wear due to this is minimal, if any. We get to continue the quest.... 115k and counting :).

Stoneage_Caddy
02-09-06, 11:58 PM
yup ....see all that driveing got rid fo the last pockets of water in that engine .....you should be fine ....water gets in very odd places and likes to stay there untill each part of the engine is above 200+ degrees

im fairly coherent ....amazging ....im on vicotin-oxy (whatever that magic pill is) and all sorts of pills from todays orthodontal suregron fun ...all the bullshit for 4 friggin teeth to be pulled ....ive seen hockey players loose 4 teeth in a game and not go thru this much bullshit ...

but i will go out on a limb and add that you will still have the leaks ...ive never seen any change in leaks resulting from a change in oil type ....if yours quits leaking youll be the first ive seen ....in my life ...

i do recall old horror storys of folks putting sytnthectic in there car dureing the late 70s and ending up with a leak .....if you ask me it was pure consicdence and urban myth.....

DopeStar 156
02-10-06, 12:00 AM
Da Coupe is back! :)

So I drove a total of about 80 miles tonight...

never missed a beat... some high speed driving, WOT and all the fun stuff....

She is running real nice... better then before, probably from the new ignition stuff.

Nice and quiet, no engine noise on startup etc.... when I pul the dipstick, italmost looks like theres nothing on there, but thats because the oil is so clean, hold it to the light and you can see the oil.... So far this Mobil Delvac 15W-40 looks promising... I wonder if it'll still be leaking oil now...

Drove her around alot... too her to the car wash, gave her a bath :) Washed down the whole engine (as if it hasn't seen enough water :) ) then drove some more... its great to have the car back :)

oil and coolant levels are stable, and no more condensation/white stuff on the oil cap, just clean oil... she needed to be driven, thats all :).

I think I did the best I can to get it running again, engine wear due to this is minimal, if any. We get to continue the quest.... 115k and counting :).
I knew if anyone could slightly drown an engine and completely fix it 100% it'd be you. Nice job and good luck. :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
02-10-06, 12:19 AM
I knew if anyone could slightly drown an engine and completely fix it 100% it'd be you. Nice job and good luck. :thumbsup:

slightly?

lol, I drove thru a freakin lake...

when you remove the air intake system after 10 mins of the engine being turned off, and water pours out still... when you can shake the body of the car and see the pool of water in the intake manifold swash back and fourth.... when your friend is standing in front of the car and you turn it over with no spark plugs and it totally soaks him from the spray out of the cylinders.... THATS when you know you've got some water in the engine :) lol...

Thanks tho :) I've been getting that alot... "only you could drive the car thru a lake, hydrolock the engine, then fix it" lol... (it really wasn't a lake :) ) but... yeah, lol.

Mike... man, you got your wisdom teeth pulled!? Ah gosh... I am not looking forward to that day... if it comes around...

Well, I have personally seen an engine leak and not leak depending on oil....

one oil change I decided to run Mobil 1 full synthetic in the 425... it got dirty fast as all the additives in it started to (try) and clean out the engine.... then the infamous rear main seal leak started... it would drip quite a bit....

about 2,500 miles later I switched back to regular Mobil oil.... the leak slowed, then stopped.... now, it stills has a slight leak from the rear main, but not like it was.

With synthetic atleast, there are a few things working against it, in terms of leaks...

the high cleaning power and additive package in it goes to work removing buildup... on an old engine, it has alot of sludge build up (even if minor to the eye) around the gaskets... well the synthetic comes in and starts cleaning that out... then you have the old gasket left and it starts to leak...

add to that, the fact that on full synthetic, the molecues of oil are much smaller, and even though an oil may be, say 10W-30... the full synthetic has a much better flow rate thru small passages and such, it allows the oil to get into places that were prevoius "blocked" off from the regular oil.

The myths about not being able to switch back and fourth are false too... you can mix regular oil and synthetic... not going to hurt anything.

This leak, I'd really like to find though... I washed the engine down, but not the underbody... I dunno...

the underside of the oil cooler lines are full of oil, and at the lowest point on the lower line, there is a collection of oil and it drips from there... which leads me to believe its an oil cooler line, but I have no idea...

it would LEAK about a quart in between oil changes.... maybe even more... that was an extra $6 quart of oil in between changes...

knowing that it leaked it and didn't burn it, I really never cared too much, it was kind of a way to always keep replenishing the older oil with new...

but since i got the apartment and its all black top... she leaks quite a bit... not only do I not like my Cadillac leaking, but it isn't good for the black top... same thing at school, I can see it. The '79 leaks too, like I said, the rear main... but... 28 years old and all its been thru and all stock, that is hardly an issue at all.... interesting to note though, my Oldsmobile never leaked, burned, or used as much as a drop of oil. I would always keep a quart of oil with the car (with all my cars.. right in the engine bay) and only once did I have to top the olds off... about half a quart. Otherwise I put 5qts in when I change the oil and filter, and I'd check it weekly, but the same 5qts would come out... that was a cool car.

DopeStar 156
02-10-06, 01:00 AM
Mike... man, you got your wisdom teeth pulled!? Ah gosh... I am not looking forward to that day... if it comes around...
Ahh man, do what I did. Get knocked out and then have them do the surgety. Mine were taken out and I have no memory of leaving the oral surgeon's office. I just remember being stabbed in the arm with the IV, the doctor was beginning to describe to me what was being dripped into me and I was out. I woke up in my house and my girlfriend had my head in her lap and was playing with my hair. There was a ton of gauze in my mouth. Haha. Apparently I was being carried out by the nurses after the surgery and telling them they were my new best friends, after being instructed not to drive I flung my Caddy keys at my dad and burst out laughing. He then drove my Caddy home with me in the backseat. Brought me in the house and put me upstairs, my girlfriend came over and held me until I woke up. Haha I was high as a kite and I got perkocet. Live after wisdom teeth removal is sweet. Apparently I also asked if I could keep my teeth so I have them in a little bag, all 4 of them. roots and all. LOL!

DopeStar 156
02-10-06, 01:01 AM
Wah! I double postededed!