: 200,000 mile mark reality? 1996 STS NStar

AZ1996STS
02-03-06, 03:32 PM
My 1996 Seville has almost 99k , my hope is to at least reach the 200,000 mark - with normal maintenence does anyone see this as unlikely?

danbuc
02-03-06, 03:34 PM
It's entirely possible that it could reach 200k miles. It could also die tomorrow. No one can realy tell exactly how long the engine will last. Many have gone over 150k miles. A few have even passed 300k miles. As long as you maintain it properly, I don't see why it wouldn't make it to 200k miles.

illumina
02-03-06, 03:37 PM
Danbuc, I have a funny feeling someone is going to come in here and dispute this as if it's their life to hate this engine...

danbuc
02-03-06, 03:42 PM
I know exactly what you mean...:helpless:

Ranger
02-03-06, 05:22 PM
Danbuc is absolutely right. I've heard of several here over 200K and one or two over 300K.

Katshot
02-03-06, 05:40 PM
Ding, ding! I'm here!!!
Right on cue huh? Yes, it's possible, just not likely. :D

danbuc
02-03-06, 09:02 PM
We were wondering when you were gonna show up...hehe.

Katshot
02-04-06, 08:43 AM
We were wondering when you were gonna show up...hehe.

I figured what the hell. Give you a giggle.

Twopoor
01-11-07, 07:28 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know my '96 SLS currently has 259,630 miles on it and I use it everyday to go to work with. Simple oil change every 3000 and she runs great! Just passed emissions with no problems!! I say yes it is very possible!

CadillacSTS42005
01-11-07, 07:44 PM
omg its katshot
where the hell have you been!?!?!?!

danbuc
01-11-07, 10:00 PM
omg its katshot
where the hell have you been!?!?!?!

He posted that in February of last year.

weister42
01-11-07, 10:53 PM
One of my uncle has a 93 STS and I believe he racked over 300k on it. Dealership maintenance.

My N* has 120k. change your spark plugs & wires, fuel filter and you'll be basically good to go.

codewize
01-11-07, 11:38 PM
Hey Katshot, finally out of hiding? Nice to see you're alive and congrats on the new toy.

EcSTSatic
01-12-07, 09:25 AM
At the rate I put miles on a car it will 13 years from now before I would have 200K. I can't say I would even keep my '99 that long but I think 200K is doable provided you keep the rest of the car in drivable condition.

Cad tech
01-12-07, 09:31 AM
When I first went to school in 92 to Lansing on the first run on training on the 4.6L they had these things lined up in a warehouse all running...they had some glowing running in at high rpm trying to break them others with no oil tests all sorts of crazy stuff going on.....I was very impressed with what they made these engines go through. At the same time was getting trained on the 4T-80E, same kinds of tests..The training was very extensive and impressive..
After 15 or so years on the 4.6L and 4T-80E one thing can be said 96% of these combonations are bulletproof....Now routine maintence is the key, and in my book this maintence includes lower crankcase seals. Doing what it needs at that time it comes up. As far as hard parts are concerned they are great but the controls are what is going to hurt you....I have customers with 300k on their cars still great, but they trust me on the repairs that are needed and dont look twice at the bill...If you find a good tech keep him close, repect him as a craftsman..Had on of my customers that has followed me everywhere tell me once that the 3 people in your life to always never screw and respect the most your Doctor, Lawyer and your Mechanic(he is a old bugger lol)
So in conclusion after working on these cars for that long 200k NO PROBLEM...And remember this little motto of mine; anyone can afford a Cadillac but not many want to spend money on it or cant....

lazyone801
01-12-07, 12:54 PM
Well I have to agrea with Cad Tech, is hard to find a good mech this days, but when u find the right one and u can trues him ur life will be way easy! U just gotta take care of him as well as he will take care of u! Cad Tech has work on my car, (96 cadi Deville) and I can say I found my mech, after getting kill with going to the dearls, my car has, well as far as I know over 270,000 miles and still running great! Yes I spend way to much money in the beginning, but like they say " you learn from your mistakes" so to end this, I trues Cad Tech he knows his sh** ! I don't have douht about him he really knows what he is talking about! So everyone out there if u need help! He is the man to talk too!

Cad tech
01-12-07, 10:32 PM
lol thanks for the plug...who is this??????

Kcryan
01-12-07, 10:45 PM
Its the tranny that you gotta watch....

GreenMachine
01-12-07, 11:06 PM
scheduled and routine maintance will keep it going just fine. Just changed the tranny fluid a few weeks back and its amazing what changing the screens and new fluid will do to smooth it out.

STS127
01-13-07, 08:11 AM
A guy who I work with has a 93 El Dorado with 260,000 miles and still runs strong.

mtflight
01-13-07, 03:47 PM
After 15 or so years on the 4.6L and 4T-80E one thing can be said 96% of these combonations are bulletproof....Now routine maintence is the key, and in my book this maintence includes lower crankcase seals.

If you find a good tech keep him close, repect him as a craftsman

It's hard to find a good tech with the firewall "Service Advisors" around... one never knows who works on what--an anonymous system.

Which is the lower crankcase seal and how does one know if there's a problem with it?

Cad tech
01-13-07, 07:04 PM
the 4.6L is a split block meaning that the lower block half holds the crankshaft into place.....on the this lower block half is a oil manifold about 3/8 of an inch thick which distributes the oil to crankshaft, when they leak (externally) it will start to sweat and eventully leak covering the oil pan. But the key is if you never look under your car you may never see the leak till it is way bad, it mostly leaks when engine is running blowing back onto trans pan and undercarrage, so hardly leaves a drip on the floor....if you let it go it will drop your oil pressure and specs on a 4.6L is 5 PSI...so any little bit of loss will start scarring bearings.......another key is if you live in a climate that has big temp swings like throughthe middle of the country you will see alot of these problems....but in places like az, or texas not alot....I have an old apprentice that move to scottsdale that hardly does them or sees that problem.......

mtflight
01-13-07, 07:30 PM
Thank you for that. I've always had a well lubricated bottom of the engine. Most of it was due to an oil cooler line that I replaced. I currently I have some oil on the crossover pipe bracket. The dealership says it's my oil pressure sensor leaking. Would they easily have called the infamous half-case leak?

I thought it was sweating from all the horsepower (j/k). I thought the bearings are always soaked regardless unless the oil level gets low?

Cad tech
01-13-07, 08:03 PM
if you have oil on your crossover it mostlikely is the lower crankcase seal or rear main seal not the oil pressure sensor.

the oil pump is ran by the frt of the crankshaft then it flows horizontally through the lower crankcase and oil mainfold.....

mtflight
01-13-07, 08:09 PM
Hmmm I shouldve taken care of this on the warranty... seals were warrantied until 100k, I have 101K on the clock now.

A powertrain engineer, who is heavily involved with the N* (vintage and supercharged) used to post on here who said oil seepage was nothing to worry about.

Wouldn't the computer call for a "Low Oil Pressure, Stop Engine!" message if the oil pressure got below safe level?

acklac7
01-14-07, 03:17 AM
A powertrain engineer, who is heavily involved with the N* (vintage and supercharged) used to post on here who said oil seepage was nothing to worry about.

You beat me to it MT...

Cad-Tech, is the bearing-wear issue hypothetical? Or have you actually seen it happen?

The reason I ask is we have seen a good number of case-half issues on these forums, however I don't think I have EVER heard of any bearing related issues with the N*.

if you let it go it will drop your oil pressure and specs on a 4.6L is 5 PSI...so any little bit of loss will start scarring bearings.........

I ain't trying to knock you, but that sure does sound like service advisor mumbo-jumbo! :D

Service advisor: You have a leak coming from the lower crank case

Customer: I'll just keep topping it off with oil

Service advisor: If you let it go it will drop your oil pressure and specs on a 4.6L is 5 PSI...so any little bit of loss will start scarring bearings...You want to trade it in on a new Caddy?

acklac7
01-14-07, 03:28 AM
Double post

1997BlackETC
01-14-07, 06:28 AM
My car leaks a little from the half case I believe. I think I remember somebody saying they used synthetic oil and it cut down some on the leakage, I am thinking about switching, but if the leakage remains the same I hate the thought of putting in a quart of $5.00 oil every 600 miles. Car has 82 k on it and runs great. Think Synthetic is worth it in this car at this point? Was thinking if I switch going with 10k oil changes instead of the every 3 k I now do.

GreenMachine
01-14-07, 08:09 AM
^could just follow the OLM :) or use it as a guideline when to change.

Most actually say the synthetic makes the cars leak a bit more, you could try a High Mileage oil of the leak is bad because they are a bit thicker and I know when I had Castrol GTX HM in mine my pan was dry, but the synthetic blend Kendall has made it somewhat oily again. Next time around since the price seems to be good, I'm going to try the Kendall Synthetic Blend High Mileage oil.

ted tcb
01-14-07, 06:41 PM
I noticed this 1999 Deville while searching the Ontario Autotrader.

Hard to believe, but 502,000 klm's, which works out to being 314,000 miles.

Here is the link.

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1630024&adid=5592355

Cad tech
01-14-07, 07:52 PM
Sorry fellas it causes damage....but here is the key have u ever had a N* apart??????look at how thick the bearings are....You will be safe for a while but if they are needed get them done, not asap but keep it in your mind, keep the oil, the low pressure circuit only keys on if it has 1PSI or none....remember letting it go to long will starve the top end also....I personally have seen to many with this problem, usally new owner and when you tear it out you will see major scarring to bearings, now usally you want to replace all the mains if you uncompress the lower crankcase anyway, which is recommended by GM (but had good luck not doing it also) but truthfully I am the one who determines if that is needed....
Dont be mislead by people that say it wont hurt anything that is bogus it just depends on how far you let it go....Sweating is fine let it ride, clean it off with everyoil change and guage yourself...but with any leak you should get it fixed and on a N* if the lower crankcase is leaking it is a your main oil artery....just if you want to spend a little now or buy an engine later or other major repair related to that problem or just dump the car....I have alot of respect for you guys that post and ask the questions here, that is why I am here to help, that goes a long way with me when you really want your car fixed right and love your Cad so much to post here...So I ask you if you had a coolant or tranmission leaking would you just let it go?????

Ranger
01-14-07, 09:38 PM
Cad Tech,
Sorry, but I am not connecting the dots here either. Halfcase seal is not pressurized, correct? So how does a halfcase seal affect oil pressure? That would be the same as a pan gasket, wouldn't it?

GreenMachine
01-15-07, 07:11 AM
If you run it low on oil I'm guessing you'll have problems, but keeping it topped off should be ok right?

Cad tech
01-15-07, 09:27 AM
Note the lower plate just below the lower crankcase, that is the oil mainfold. now note the holes on the frt of the lower crankcase....that is where the oil pump fits those holes become pressureized with the oil traveling in between the lower crankcase and the oil manifold.\
not as the same as oil pan or lower crankcase....

lazyone801
01-17-07, 12:23 AM
well cad tech i need a trani and engine fix up ! it keeps flashing on my dash the oil sigh?? whats up with that?! i mean i check the oild at least 1s a week just to make sure and it shows i have oil! so what should i do! well u gotta take a look at it closer!!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/lazyone801/IMG00018.jpg

lazyone801
01-17-07, 12:28 AM
need help

eldorado99
01-17-07, 01:25 AM
Note the lower plate just below the lower crankcase, that is the oil mainfold. now note the holes on the frt of the lower crankcase....that is where the oil pump fits those holes become pressureized with the oil traveling in between the lower crankcase and the oil manifold.\
not as the same as oil pan or lower crankcase....

Do you have pics of that 58 Eldo? I'd love to see that! :worship:

mtflight
01-17-07, 11:01 AM
need help

I would pull the codes ASAP. Look it up on here on how to do that for your model year.

I would think it's an oil pump issue, or a clogged passage or something along those lines. Don't drive it with low oil pressure--it could be lethal to the car.

With something so serious you may consider taking it to the dealership to be diagnosed and then deal with the diagnosis accordingly (decide what you want to do, whether it be taking it to a less expensive shop or working on it yourself, etc.).

WildLife
01-17-07, 09:35 PM
OK I am currious now

Cad Tech
what numbers on your parts sheet are the problem
areas?
I was told that I have a half/case leak. (recently)
I have noticed a drop where there was none before.
If I understand your post, this leak is under pressure
from the oil pump plumbing circuit to the oil mani?
Could you draw on your parts sketch to show where the
danger leaks are?
Can I patch the outside with glue and a plate to seal area?
Oil failures are not good

Cad tech
01-17-07, 09:50 PM
cant post the good one to many pixels...ok id oil pan #27, 28 is the oil pan gasket, the next one is the oil pickup, next is the oil baffle, the next is the one, that is the oil manifold...the leak you need to look for is between that and the lower crankcase...that is where the oil pressure is, not between lower crankcase and block...dont try and patch it it will be no use..when you get under there you will see it is almost impossible to seal it and get proper coverage....

WildLife
01-17-07, 10:07 PM
Thanks
I guess I'll read my New FSM, wash hands first :)
Thing is brand new :)

97greendeville
01-20-07, 07:09 PM
Don't even worry about 200k mark not being a reality... mines got 218k and she is running very strong..

pimpin88
01-21-07, 12:09 PM
cant post the good one to many pixels...ok id oil pan #27, 28 is the oil pan gasket, the next one is the oil pickup, next is the oil baffle, the next is the one, that is the oil manifold...the leak you need to look for is between that and the lower crankcase...that is where the oil pressure is, not between lower crankcase and block...dont try and patch it it will be no use..when you get under there you will see it is almost impossible to seal it and get proper coverage....

So how much would you be looking at to have the this type of leak fixed correctly?

spinj
01-24-07, 09:01 PM
My 1996 Seville has almost 99k , my hope is to at least reach the 200,000 mark - with normal maintenence does anyone see this as unlikely? My 1995 STS just turned 196,000 miles. Still runs fine. Needs struts but i'm going to go with the passive set with springs from strutmasters for 400.00

Counselor
03-18-07, 07:25 PM
Counselor Wrote: I have put 250,000 plus miles on every Cadillac I have owned from 1971. Could have put more but sold then all. Had a 1976 Fleetwood that had close to 300,000 (500 cubes) before I sold it. Never used any oil. My Metallic black cherry 96 STS has 96,000. I will probably keep it for at least 200,000 more miles, Ya'll check out motorkote.com This is the stuff, originally made for diesel trucks.

nigelb
03-19-07, 05:07 PM
200k a reality?
i hope so, i'm only 9 1/2k away from it!!