: Just Bought a Granma owned NS w/81K-WOT?

strat thang
02-03-06, 12:56 PM
Hi All,

I just purchased a 98 Deville 2 days ago with the NS motor. My first Caddy and I am already thinking "Once you've have Cadillac...You never go back!". I absolutely love the car!. It was owned by a grandma and serviced at the dealer it's entire life. I am wondering if I should begin WOT immediately? I would imagine she didn't run the motor like that and is there any harm with opening it up in 2nd to 6K like I have seen posted? Thanks-

eldorado1
02-03-06, 04:19 PM
I sure would!

Ranger
02-03-06, 05:25 PM
I would not think you'd do it any harm.

BTW, bought my first Caddy 31 years ago. Haven't driven anything else since.

mtflight
02-03-06, 05:39 PM
I would not think you'd do it any harm.

BTW, bought my first Caddy 31 years ago. Haven't driven anything else since.

Nice, Ranger.

I'd be interested to hear which ones you've owned and your thoughts on them. I bet it would be a book but I'd read it.

strat thang
02-17-06, 01:53 PM
Well, I ran my first series of WOTs and no problems at all.
Thanks for the replies. My father rode with me and neither of us saw any smoke from the pipes. Would that be a good or bad thing..or neither?

mtflight
02-17-06, 02:43 PM
Well, I ran my first series of WOTs and no problems at all.
Thanks for the replies. My father rode with me and neither of us saw any smoke from the pipes. Would that be a good or bad thing..or neither?

It's more like a dark cloud of dust that comes out--not smoke per say.

Did you do them in 2nd gear, up to redline then off the gas to let the engine slow down to 30 or so (frees the rings in the opposite direction) and then up again a couple of times? make sure you watch the temp gage, as the high RPMs not only heat up the exhaust and combustion chamber, but also the engine block. Let her cool down by cruising/coasting for a while, and then repeat.

If there was no dust coming out, then she's pretty clean--someone did that before you purchased it?

strat thang
02-17-06, 03:35 PM
Yes.
I dropped down into 2nd at 40 mph, took it up to 5800 and the tranny automatically shifted into 3rd. The let it come back down to 40 and once again back up to 5850 rpms. Did it 3 times. We didnt see any clouds at all. Was I doing them correctly?

Ranger
02-17-06, 05:59 PM
Nice, Ranger.

I'd be interested to hear which ones you've owned and your thoughts on them. I bet it would be a book but I'd read it.
I must have missed this one.
'71 Deville
'72 Deville
'73 Eldo
'81 Eldo (diesel)
'83 Eldo
'85 Eldo Biarritz
'92 Deville
'97 Deville
'02 Seville SLS

I guess the USS Eldorado ('73) was probably my favorite. As long as an aircraft carrier and rode like an ACV (Air Cushion Vehicle). It would pass anything but a gas station, but boy would that 501 howl . Had every option Caddy made that year, including a crude version of ABS (rear only).

The '85 Biarritz was a pretty car. White with the stainless roof and burgandy interior. It's only bad feature was the HT4100.

The '81 was a two tone burgandy beauty but the diesel was a bigger dog than the 4100.

fubar569
02-17-06, 07:23 PM
diesel?

i still actually have in storage my 1982 fleetwood broughm d'elegance with the orig diesel motor. it's been rebuilt, but used stock replacement parts and the block is the orig block with orig heads. someday the boat will float again!

STS 310
02-17-06, 07:59 PM
PEr Ranger

I had an 81 Biarritz, white with the burgandy interior. Had the 368 which to me wasnt a dog as some would say.

Got it in 95 from grandmother. Boy was the service record folder THICK. I added up some $11,000 in service and repairs, (yes 11k!!) I cant sit here and itemize because it makes me mad to think of the rip off artists that took advantage of her. It was no doubt that when I got it anything was going to be different. Loved the car but it loved my wallet.

mtflight
02-17-06, 10:08 PM
I must have missed this one.
'71 Deville
'72 Deville
'73 Eldo
'81 Eldo (diesel)
'83 Eldo
'85 Eldo Biarritz
'92 Deville
'97 Deville
'02 Seville SLS

I guess the USS Eldorado ('73) was probably my favorite. As long as an aircraft carrier and rode like an ACV (Air Cushion Vehicle). It would pass anything but a gas station, but boy would that 501 howl . Had every option Caddy made that year, including a crude version of ABS (rear only).

The '85 Biarritz was a pretty car. White with the stainless roof and burgandy interior. It's only bad feature was the HT4100.

The '81 was a two tone burgandy beauty but the diesel was a bigger dog than the 4100.

Very nice, Ranger. Definitely a Cadillac man--lots of Eldos. Were you attracted to the last Eldos at all?

I wonder what I'll drive over the years... maybe they'll release the Cien :thumbsup:

I was looking through a few websites and I think starting in 1981 they advertised the onboard diagnostics accessible by pressing a few buttons in the car, getting codes, and looking them up on the service manual. Wow, definitely ahead of the times.

Did any of your Caddies have the V-8-6-4?

Ranger
02-17-06, 10:49 PM
After the '85 I got tired of 2 doors. Never went back to Eldo's after that.

Yes, I think early '80's is when they went to the onboard diagnostics.

Never had an 8-6-4, but it would have been preferable to the diesel.

Here's some nostalgia for you. My first Cadillac FSM was one volume and I purchased it from the dealer parts counter for $5.

BIGED
02-27-06, 04:20 PM
For all the newbies can someone please explain what exactly a WOT is and how it is done or maybe there is a thread somewhere else that explains it. Thanks

mtflight
02-27-06, 04:39 PM
For all the newbies can someone please explain what exactly a WOT is and how it is done or maybe there is a thread somewhere else that explains it. Thanks

WOT = pedal to the metal, aka "Wide Open Throttle"

Obviously you need to exercise caution, and it is probably best applied on the open road where the car already has significant momentum, hence less stress on the other powertrain components; however, the Northstar is well accompanied by the quite robust 4T80E.

To accomplish this, you may need that your seat be forward enough to be able to push the pedal all the way to the carpet.

It helps oil consumption on the Northstar cars that are usually babied too much. Read more about its benefits on the link above the forum, labled "Cadillac Technical Archive"