: Verizon linked to OnStar!

arr0gant
02-03-06, 01:54 PM
I have sprint, should I switch? Get a second plan? If so, how well does OnStar with Verizon? Is it worth it?

Luna.
02-03-06, 02:00 PM
If you want to use the hands-free phone in the car with Onstar, the only way to go is to get your cell phone plan through Verizon ( a "family" plan) and add the car's phone line as the 2nd line.

This is FAR cheaper than purchasing minutes via Onstar directly---that is a complete rip-off...

The phone in the car works very well and is very clear. The only complaint I get is when I goose the throttle and then the whine of the maggie can be heard. :cool2:

arr0gant
02-03-06, 03:11 PM
Talking to Onstar now. They say my 2004 is NOT equiped with OnStar digital and it needs to be upgraded (if possible) waiting now to find out. ANyone else have this problem?

ylwjacket
02-03-06, 03:15 PM
They are correct. Every other person with an '04 has this problem.

Almost all of us with '05's have this problem also.

arr0gant
02-03-06, 03:17 PM
Well, they want $500 to upgrade the hardware. They then give 3 years of OnStar with that. I can NOT use the car phone as my only phone, therefore it would be an extra $9.99 on whatever my plan is for the extra line.

I currently have 1200 Peak minutes and UL off peak for $40 on Sprint. There is nothing in even the same hemisphere that they will give me on Verizon's network, SO eff that sh*t.

Luna.
02-03-06, 03:57 PM
They are correct. Every other person with an '04 has this problem.

Almost all of us with '05's have this problem also.

Almost all? What---am I one of the extraordinary fortunate?

Wow...:bouncy:

BeagleBrains
02-03-06, 07:15 PM
This information matches my experience. I talked to On-Star a couple of days ago. To just switch my 04 V to a digital phone was quoted at $540.00. Then, a three year On-Star contract was offered for $540.00. Wow, so far!
However, if you purchase the three year On-Star contract, the digital install will be part of the deal, if you make the purchase at your dealer.
I have been a Verizon customer from day one. The problem with linking the car phone to my Verizon account is that I must have the On-Star contract. From there, I arrange my Verizon account with the car as a second (third or whatever) phone for an additional $9.99 per month. The only good from this is that the car phone and my Verizon account phones "share" the much higher available minutes plus unlimited Verizon evening and weekend talk time.
I am not sure if I gained from this. :duck:
Cheaper Verizon minutes, but one hell of a front load on the contract.

Merle Corey
02-03-06, 09:20 PM
Being in an '05 with the digital radio already aboard, this was a no brainer for me and mine. However, it would have been grand to have voice recognition work as it did in my '95 Tahoe, '99 Yukon, or '03 Duramax... (and NO DIAL PAD? - Com'on!) anyway, at least with my Verizon relationship I can call forward from my handset to the V when I'm road tripping. (If I need to be really trick I can dial on the handset, get the distant end on line and conference call the V.) /rolls eyes

ylwjacket
02-03-06, 10:36 PM
Almost all? What---am I one of the extraordinary fortunate?

Wow...:bouncy:

Mine has dual digital/analog, which won't work. Has to be all digital only.

BeagleBrains
02-04-06, 09:45 PM
Why the hell did Cadillac have to take technology that is already set up, logically, in other GM products. My Corvette Memory functions, GPS, On-Star, etc. had everything set up for ease of use. Then comes the V. They had to redesign everything to make it identity specific to the CTS V. To do this, they deleted half of the usable functions. In the Vette with the memory seat/ventilation, as soon as I unlocked the door, it reset to my personal settings. In the V, no; one must push the #1 or #2 to address the personal settings. What were they thinking? Why were they thinking?:rant2:

StealthV
02-05-06, 12:35 AM
Unlocking the door sets the personalized settings on my V. :hmm:

Joey'sVee
02-05-06, 01:02 AM
I have a question. If something happened to the rear veiw mirror and it was replaced under warranty would they replace it with the updated digital system? :canttalk:

BeagleBrains
02-05-06, 03:30 PM
Unlocking the door sets the personalized settings on my V. :hmm:
Thanks for the wake up. Whenever I first get into the car, it is in the garage and unlocked. Not thinking clearly! Of course.
However, the rest of my harangue stands. Why are the features different from my 2002 Corvette? Change for change's sake, I believe. :confused:

Hokie99
02-09-06, 03:21 PM
Is there any easy way to tell if the 05 is equipped with OnStar digital? like when i'm looking at cars at the dealership?

arr0gant
02-09-06, 03:24 PM
Is there any easy way to tell if the 05 is equipped with OnStar digital? like when i'm looking at cars at the dealership?

Yes, ask. If they don't know, they will call OnStar.

Lindsay Cadillac
02-09-06, 04:53 PM
Is there any easy way to tell if the 05 is equipped with OnStar digital? like when i'm looking at cars at the dealership?If you look at the OnStar label near the window sticker it will say whch system it has. If it says analog/digital or digital ready it has to be upgraded...

ewill3rd
02-09-06, 06:28 PM
Step one,

Go to www.onstarenrollment.com
This site should tell you if your vehicle is digital ready, incompatible, or needs a digital upgrade.

The hardware is free, the labor is free but you must purchase a 3 year contract with OnStar to get the upgrade.
The equipment varies by model and year, some just require a module, some require a module and antenna, some require a new rear view mirror (STS).
There is a bulletin that lists all the pertinent information regarding this upgrade.
I can answer a few questions about it if you'd like.
The packages are:

• 3-year Safety and Security (S&S) ADT package: $549 plus tax (if applicable)

• 3-year Directions and Connections (D&C) ADT package: $1099 plus tax (if applicable)

• 3-year Luxury and Leisure (L&L) ADT package: $2159 plus tax (if applicable)

That is what you have to pay when you get the digital upgrade done.
Linking your OnStar account to your Verizon account is definitely the way to go if you use personal calling. Leaving the account the way it is and only using it in case of dire emergency or cell phone failure is also a way to go.
I have 3 digital upgrades to do between today and tomorrow and have done a few already so let me know if you have any questions.

(remember I am not responsible for this system, I just know how it works :D)

Hokie99
02-09-06, 07:15 PM
Step one,

Go to www.onstarenrollment.com (http://www.onstarenrollment.com)
This site should tell you if your vehicle is digital ready, incompatible, or needs a digital upgrade.

that website is exactly what I was looking for. Enter your VIN and voila, all you need to know

Thanks!

1fstkde
02-10-06, 02:18 PM
you should watch out changing service providers...if your happy with sprints coverage then dont change...because each carrier has different coverage area, some work better than others...sprint started as the only full nation wide digital service and i had them, and they stunk...but know 10 years later love them after they built out there system....now even getting better coverage when there going to combine nextels transmitters in about a year..