: Thinking of Buying a V

m3sweet
02-03-06, 12:50 PM
Have they fixed the wheel hop and differential problems in the 2006 model?

How has dealer service been? I own a BMW M3 and some dealers get it and some don't. I just don;t want to feel like I've haded over a perfomance car to a guy use to servicing Eldorados.

kjr39
02-03-06, 12:58 PM
The 06 diff is stronger (but I got mine replaced at 600 miles.)

Dealers are hit and miss. When I bought my V, I surveyed the local dealers and then found one that I like. After which, I contacted the service manager and sat down to talk with him about how many Vs he sees, what he thinks of the problems, and about Cadillac/GM in general. The SM I talked to 'gets it'.

Finding a good dealer closed the deal on the V for me.

Harley Guy
02-03-06, 01:04 PM
Given that you have an M3 my guess is that you are more a sports car person than a muscle car type. I have to tell you that the wheel hop is almost a non-issue for me. I also strongly believe that the rear dif issues are related to the wheel hop issue. The wheel hop put lots of stress on the dif. Since I don't try to do smoking burnouts I have had no problem with wheel hop and no issue with the rear dif.

I am a very happy V owner who is selling the V due to other changes in my life. If you want a great used 05 with 14K miles and in showroom condition e-mail me at manning101@gmail.com.

m3sweet
02-03-06, 02:52 PM
Yes, I am definitely more a sports car type. The synergy between handling, acceleration, and shifting creates the whole experience.

As I read these forums it appears that wheel hop, diffs exploding, reliability, and dealers that know anything, is more than just a smoking burnout issue.

BTW, I never launch my $70,000 (With mods) like that. I do take it to the track, however, and that's a place where you run at 90% for hours. Can the V handle that?

And, while most of us never run at 100%, it's nice to know that you can... without failure.

ace996
02-03-06, 03:07 PM
Yes, I am definitely more a sports car type. The synergy between handling, acceleration, and shifting creates the whole experience.

As I read these forums it appears that wheel hop, diffs exploding, reliability, and dealers that know anything, is more than just a smoking burnout issue.

BTW, I never launch my $70,000 (With mods) like that. I do take it to the track, however, and that's a place where you run at 90% for hours. Can the V handle that?

And, while most of us never run at 100%, it's nice to know that you can... without failure.

The V was designed to be a track animal, it can go/brake/and turn with the best of them. Funny, I don't consider the V a muscle-car...more a very powerful sedan that can carve with the world's best sedans...and sports-cars too!
There are issues with the design/engineering of the V, obviously Cadillac doesn't have the motorsports experience of BMW with the M-cars, but the aftermarket is addressing the problems.

Another funny, I'm looking to get out of my V and into an M3 (or similar vehicle)...
-ace

Harley Guy
02-03-06, 03:30 PM
I have not taken my V to a track day although I have been very tempted. I used to work at Watkins Glenn as a volunteer official and would love to run that track. Many of the other V forum members have done many track days and I don't every remember reading anything about a track failure. They have talked about the wear on breaks and tires, but nothing broke. Can't say the same for people taking the V to the drag strip.