: Correct Alignment Specs for 2001???

tlarwa
02-03-06, 10:36 AM
Here are the alignment specs on
Alldata vs. TSB 83-31-09 (out of the "files" section of the Yahoo Catera group):

FRONT ALLdata TSB
Caster 5.0 deg 5.0 deg
Camber -.60 deg -.60 deg
Total toe .25 deg .10 deg
REAR
Total toe .06 deg .10 deg

The rest of the specs are "non-adjustable, for reference only" (e.g.
cross caster, rear camber and rear cross camber).

While they are similar, there is some variation. Which is correct, or
are they close enough that it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

lawnpatio
02-23-06, 07:24 PM
Did you ever find the answer to this??

sirmqc
02-23-06, 11:00 PM
I don't know about which specs to go with, but I just got new tires - the old ones were'nt terrible, except the interior of the tread was worn all the way down so they had to be replaced. Isn't this caused by excessive toe?

Service Manual, Second Edition has
Frong:
Caster 4.0 to 6.0, 5.0 preferred
Camber -1.15 to 1.35, -0.6 preferred
Toe 0.04 to 0.20, 0.12 preferred
Total TOe 0.09 to 0.41, 0.25 preferred

Rear:
Toe -0.05 to 0.11, 0.03 preferred
Total Toe -0.10 to 0.22, 0.06 preferred

Hope this helps.

sirmqc
02-23-06, 11:05 PM
Oh, thats a service manual for a 98 by the way - I don't want to mess you up there, they're probably different.:bighead:

investor74
05-20-10, 09:34 PM
There was a problem with the camber specifications for the '97 and '98 Cateras, I still have the letter in my folder telling me to bring it to the dealer after wearing out sets of tires because the inside of the tires gets worn out.

I even had one tire down to the metal (on the inside edge where you cannot obviously see it), while the rest of the tire looked fresh. Wow was that dangerous. Luckily, I heard the metal against the ground.

I went to Sears and got an alignment with the new specs in 2005 and have not had a problem since. They had this as the specs for Cateras 1997 - 2001.

Camber -1.1 to -0.1
Caster 4.5 to 5.5
Toe -.03 to 0.13
Cross Camber -0.5 to .5

Barry.

elvin315
05-21-10, 12:10 PM
I don't know about which specs to go with, but I just got new tires - the old ones were'nt terrible, except the interior of the tread was worn all the way down so they had to be replaced. Isn't this caused by excessive toe?

I believe incorrect toe will feather or scrub the tires. The inside tread wear is from too much positive camber.

Remember, these illustrations are exaggerated:

http://www.accurateautomotiveaz.com/images/stories/services/tire-wear-patterns.jpg

MARK Lowery
05-22-10, 04:20 PM
Elvin,
Isn't the cause of excessive wear on the inside of the tread excessive Negative camber? I know race cars are often set up this way for better tire contact on the tire at the outside of a cornering maneuver, but the price you pay is rapid tire wear on the inside of the tire.

Mark L

elvin315
05-22-10, 06:10 PM
Elvin,
Isn't the cause of excessive wear on the inside of the tread excessive Negative camber? I know race cars are often set up this way for better tire contact on the tire at the outside of a cornering maneuver, but the price you pay is rapid tire wear on the inside of the tire.

Mark L

You are absolutely right. I knew it was Negative Camber. I don't know why I wrote positive.

http://www.jackit.com/bushings/images/Camber_Explanation.jpg