: Successful Nav DVD backup / copy

CIWS
02-02-06, 11:06 PM
I'm sure others have already done this, but since I got Katrina back today after 16 days with the dealership, I thought I would go ahead and try to make a backup copy of my Nav DVD so that I could use it in the car daily and leave the original in the house. So here's what I used and did.

1. Stuck the original Nav DVD in the P.C. and used Nero 6 to create an image of the DVD (.nrg file) to the hard drive. Image size was 7.91 GB.

2. Purchased and used a blank DVD-R DL (dual layer) to burn the image file to. The burner used was a Lite-on SHW-1635S and the blank DVD Media was "GQ" brand DVD-R DL (4x)

The DVD I made an image of is shown below in the thumbnail. :)

heavymetals
02-02-06, 11:15 PM
Amazed you got Nero to copy.
I tried numerous "coaster making" image file programs and the only thing I found that worked was a bit copy (no image file) program.

Even with that got a number of discs that won't read.

CIWS
02-02-06, 11:19 PM
It worked the first time, no probs at all. Here's a shot of the image file.

lasstss
02-02-06, 11:22 PM
I guess the trick is a dual layer disc as std is 4.7 gig. I have all kinds of DVD rip stuff and couldnt copy it. Guess I didnt check the filesize. I do have a dual layer writer although I have never tried it. Good find!

CIWS
02-02-06, 11:25 PM
Yeah dual layer is needed due to the file/info size of the Nav DVD.
I have two Dual layer burners, both Lite-Ons. HOWEVER one is a little older and apparently ONLY burns dual layer DVD+Rs. When I first tried to burn with it, it didn't properly recognize the DVD-R DL media. So make sure you check the compatability of your burner, and note I've only done this with a DVD-R DL SO I don't know if a DVD+R DL will work.

rm2077
02-08-06, 03:57 PM
Amazed you got Nero to copy.
I tried numerous "coaster making" image file programs and the only thing I found that worked was a bit copy (no image file) program.

Even with that got a number of discs that won't read.

what program did you end up using for the bit copy? can anyone else confirm the use of Nero img working?

thanks

blackcts-v
02-08-06, 04:51 PM
how much would you charge me to make me a copy??? I had my Nav disc stolen out of my car... Please let me know... You can email me at Johnd@Tylers.com... Thank you!!!

rm2077
02-08-06, 05:03 PM
how much would you charge me to make me a copy??? I had my Nav disc stolen out of my car... Please let me know... You can email me at Johnd@Tylers.com... Thank you!!!

i do not own a srx so i have no way to verify if the copy is working. the disk will not work in my cts because it uses different maps. if someone could give me detailed info on how to make the copy i cold send you one out to test for me for the cost of postage and dual layer disk. i have a dual layer burner. i plan on purchasing a srx in the next 6 months and am mainly concerned with learnign how to make a good backup copy for myself.

rm2077
02-08-06, 05:06 PM
btw the part number for the disk i have is 15798916 v5.0. i am not sure what it will work in other than the srx

02-08-06, 05:17 PM

nooooooooooooo:(

LV_V
02-08-06, 05:19 PM
My NAV disk is so old it doesn't even have my house (built in 2002), let alone my neighborhood's roads, on it. Anyone have an updated NAV disk or know where I can get one?

BTW I have a dual layer DVD burner, just no source disk. I wonder if there's an updated ISO file somewhere on the internet...

talalhz
02-08-06, 11:21 PM
OR buy the NAV DVD from Nissan/infiniti it works in our cars (CTS-V)

heavymetals
02-08-06, 11:39 PM
OR buy the NAV DVD from Nissan/infiniti it works in our cars (CTS-V)

No it doesn't.

Devil_concours
02-09-06, 12:29 AM
miscreant made a copy of the nav dvd like 6 months ago :)

wildwhl
02-09-06, 12:30 AM

have to agree with 6104696 - don't do it.

:nono:

:thehand:

But thanks for the info on protecting our individual investments with backup copies. :thumbsup:

Joey'sVee
02-09-06, 09:41 AM
If you get a copy, don't get the "latest" one. It sucks!!! I bought one and it's a real pain to use cuzz you have to change states in a really weird way. I never use it. The old one is much better IMHO.

blackcts-v
02-09-06, 10:31 AM
???

CIWS
02-09-06, 12:06 PM
Sorry guys, but any info I provide in this thread is to show it was successful to backup our Nav disks (my version anyway) and define what software and hardware I used to do it with. If someone needed a more detailed procedure how I did it with Nero, for instance if they're not familiar with the program, I could possibly write that up. One thing I didn't mention was my copy of Nero 6 was the full retail version, not an OEM that came with a burner. That makes a difference when creating an Nero Image file.

CIWS
03-05-06, 01:43 PM
Minor Update - Fry's had DVD+R DL disks on sale this weekend so I decided to buy some and try one of those. They are GQ brand +R DLs 2.4X speed. I used the same Nero image as before to burn to the disk and I'm pleased to say the DVD Nav unit in the V reads the disk just fine. So it appears (with my car/Nav unit) it will read the DVD+R DLs as well as the -R versions.

I will be writing up a procedure for creating an Image file using Nero Burning ROM and I will make it available to Reed to post on the FAQ if he wishes. Allready taken the screenshots, just need to write up and include in a .doc file.

SlvrVee
03-05-06, 02:46 PM
A couple of things about backing up your Nav DVD

(1) I don't think its illegal for you to make a backup copy for yourself, because the files are not encrypted and you don't have to circumvent any copy protection schemes to make a copy. BUT I COULD BE WRONG.

(2) To make a copy of "YOUR" Nav disk you do not have to make an image file, just open the the disk, "Select All" (copy) files and paste onto a DL disk. This method worked for me without any problems.

I also tried using the Nav Disk from my friends 05 Nissan Pathfinder and it worked without any problems.

trekster
03-05-06, 04:00 PM
If I had a copy of the new version (03) of the dvd I would have hosted the image or have on a torrent so you guys can get the new version. Fvck GM I'm not paying a couple hundred dollars for their outdated software.

I don't know what I just said but I said it.

CIWS
03-05-06, 05:07 PM
(1) I don't think its illegal for you to make a backup copy for yourself, because the files are not encrypted and you don't have to circumvent any copy protection schemes to make a copy. BUT I COULD BE WRONG.

(2) To make a copy of "YOUR" Nav disk you do not have to make an image file, just open the the disk, "Select All" (copy) files and paste onto a DL disk. This method worked for me without any problems.

Backing up your own software shouldn't be an issue for your use(s), and no the disk (mine anyway) didn't contain copy protection or Nero normally would not let you copy it. The advantage to making an image is once you have the image, to reproduce to disk is simply a burn function vs having to read the contents of the disk again and then burn it. A small time saver. Plus the image generally is stored on Hard Disk and not subject to age deterioration, exposure to heat/sunlight, etc. Of course if that Hard Disk crashes, all bets are off. That's why I have the image stored on an external H.D. and have put the master disk away in a drawer. My big threats now would have to be fire or Biblical flood :)

SlvrVee
03-05-06, 05:38 PM
Backing up your own software shouldn't be an issue for your use(s), and no the disk (mine anyway) didn't contain copy protection or Nero normally would not let you copy it. The advantage to making an image is once you have the image, to reproduce to disk is simply a burn function vs having to read the contents of the disk again and then burn it. A small time saver. Plus the image generally is stored on Hard Disk and not subject to age deterioration, exposure to heat/sunlight, etc. Of course if that Hard Disk crashes, all bets are off. That's why I have the image stored on an external H.D. and have put the master disk away in a drawer. My big threats now would have to be fire or Biblical flood :)

Yeah you're right, I also have an image om my computer and the copy that I made in the car. The funny thing is now I totaly forgot where I stored the original :o