JOEYCTS-V
02-02-06, 06:27 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/4DRZ06/Picture010.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/4DRZ06/Picture023.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/4DRZ06/Picture034.jpg

0002S
02-02-06, 06:30 PM
Nice

Isn't it nice to have January weather that allows you to do this?

Or Feb. weather..lol

BadCad
02-02-06, 06:30 PM
nice

brtnharv
02-02-06, 06:31 PM
damn.. that is great :thumbsup:

slk230mb
02-02-06, 06:43 PM
Looks good Joey. Where did you take those pics? Any where around Bayside?

CVP33
02-02-06, 06:47 PM
Very nice. One day I will get the energy to properly clay my car. One day.

BowenCT
02-02-06, 06:50 PM
Hot damn that is a nice duo!!!!!!

V-SATX
02-02-06, 06:57 PM
Joey,

Your V looks kick&^%*. How about the details on the process. How long did it take you?:worship:

urbanski
02-02-06, 07:06 PM
mine looks like crap no matter what i do....pretty soon i wont even wash it anymore :p

GT04CTS-V
02-02-06, 07:09 PM
Urb - Stop wrecking it. :bouncy:

Joey - Looks nice - now for some Zaino.

GT

04CTSVFLA
02-02-06, 10:02 PM
how to properly clay???

also, does clay do anything about those light swirl type scratches?

JOEYCTS-V
02-02-06, 10:25 PM
Looks good Joey. Where did you take those pics? Any where around Bayside?

Douglaston, upper level of the Toys R Us shopping center.

Joey,

Your V looks kick&^%*. How about the details on the process. How long did it take you?

First I gave my car a good washing. Then I clayed the car. Wash the car again real good. Dry the car, then wax it. It took me about 3 hours with stopping 20 min for lunch.

how to properly clay???

also, does clay do anything about those light swirl type scratches?

I'm not a clay professional. This was actually my first time. What I do know is you need a lot of "lube" :histeric: and make short back and forth motions. NOT circular. I'm not really sure how it works on swirl marks but I'm sure it couldn't hurt. The bar got pretty dirty after I was done; AFTER I had already washed my car so I know it helped a lot. Too bad you couldn't feel the paint through the pic. :cloud9: I'll post pics from the friends camera probably tomorrow. I'm sure his pics came out much better.

CIWS
02-02-06, 10:28 PM
Well the car(s) look great. Looks like your time was well spent. :)

rand49er
02-02-06, 10:46 PM
REALLY nice ... looks great!!! You just confirmed my decision to get a clay bar from Zaino and try it, and a box from Zaino arrived today! Weather has been very mild here, but have to wait for next "warm" spell (40s) hopefull in another week. Say, I don't see any swirls in your paint ... really nice!;)

RocketV
02-02-06, 11:48 PM
A good polish applied with an orbital buffer took out the swirls in my paint. My V is Stealth Gray, so it hides more than black, but this method works pretty well. it also worked on my black CTS.

04CTSVFLA
02-02-06, 11:51 PM
No Need For Machines

RocketV
02-02-06, 11:53 PM
True, but I try to do all three cars the same day or at least weekend, so the buffer helps a lot. I use Griot's polish formulated for use with the machine and it works well. I hand rub the wax for the satisfaction as much as anything else.

moldowan
02-02-06, 11:59 PM
Clay bars do not remove swirls. What they do is remove contaminants that are "imbedded" so to speak in the paint. They remove things that cleaner waxes and swirl mark removers can't.
the secret is like joe said, back and forth movement with meguires spray shine or zainio's equivilant for lube and "kneeding" the bar often to get it fresh.
It is a longggggggggg process which should be followed by a cleaner wax step followed by a polish followed by a wax.
Doing it by hand is ok but if you have pro equipment like a buffer and KNOW how to use it, that will yield superior results.
Bottom line is our paint (black) is totally inferior to many other mfgr's I have had. Especially lexus, mercedes, Bmw, and even my corvette and viper.
I am totally frustrated by the results I get and I really keep my car in top shape. Just wish the paint was better quality. IMHO!
_moldy

V Amazed
02-03-06, 01:25 AM
Clay bars do not remove swirls. What they do is remove contaminants that are "imbedded" so to speak in the paint. They remove things that cleaner waxes and swirl mark removers can't.
the secret is like joe said, back and forth movement with meguires spray shine or zainio's equivilant for lube and "kneeding" the bar often to get it fresh.
It is a longggggggggg process which should be followed by a cleaner wax step followed by a polish followed by a wax.
Doing it by hand is ok but if you have pro equipment like a buffer and KNOW how to use it, that will yield superior results.
Bottom line is our paint (black) is totally inferior to many other mfgr's I have had. Especially lexus, mercedes, Bmw, and even my corvette and viper.
I am totally frustrated by the results I get and I really keep my car in top shape. Just wish the paint was better quality. IMHO!
_moldy

Then you're doing it wrong. I have a tahoe with 40,000 miles on it, and there's not a damn swirl on the car. It just takes a LOT of time. And by lot, I mean I spent three days of 8 hours a peice working on it. And now its been retired until the motor teardown ;)

Ben

pietroraimondi
02-03-06, 05:21 AM
You really don't need to wax the clear coat finish on the car to begin with.

True carnauba wax is intended to "feed the paint, much like lanolin and certain oils that are used in leather conditioning products to prevent the interior leather from drying out and cracking.

Wax was/is traditionally used on lacquer based paint finishes (both paints and clear coats) that lack the "flex agents" that are found in 95% of the traditional automotive paint finishing systems that are used today.

The paint finish on the CTS-V if I am not mistaken is manufactured by PPG as well as the clear coat.

Therefore; washing, clay finishing and the use of any mild abrasive swirl remover and finally 50 coats of Zaino automotive polish to your hearts content will yield a mirror like glass finish to your automotive paint.

Each coat of Zaino actually burns into the coat underneath as it is a petroleum distillate based automotive polish.

Once again, the use of "wax" is completely unneccessary on todays modern paint finishes that are enamel or acrylic based.

Wax is reserved as a protectant and "paint feeder" for lacquer based paints that lack the flex agents that are found in modern automotive paint finishes.

There are companies such as House of Kolor that do manufacture Lacquer based paint where the use of Carnuaba Wax is important.

Failure to use a high quality carnauba wax on a lacquered finish will ultimately result in the lacquer "spider-webbing or cracking".

So why would anyone use a lacquer based paint?

For show car purposes; there is not a paint product in the world that has the depth and gloss of lacquer.

Enamels and Acrylics for as good as they are; pale in comparison to the depth and gloss that lacquer provides.

Lacquer is also very expensive. The cost of paint material alone to paint one vehicle in Lacquer ( single color) is approximately $2000.00 plus labor that starts at a minimum of $5000 to $6000 and can run as high as $15,000 for multi-colored applications.

thebigjimsho
02-03-06, 09:50 AM
Huh?

I'm a simple guy. So I'll stay simple here.

What does a plish do? It blends the paint. So any scratches that doen't get down to the metal can be polished. What matters then is how aggressive a polish you use. If you have swirl marks or very light scratches, a light polish works well. If you just have those tiny spider webb scratches, then a good wax is all you need.

If you are super anal, and your V has been properly kept, you don't need ANY polish. Just wash, clay and wax. Wax protects your finish, polish blends to repair. If you polish your car numerous times over its life, it's gonna start tearing away to the point you need to repaint.

Polish only when necessary.

ahahnu
02-03-06, 10:11 AM
I agree with Jim. Too many of us are way too anal to really have problems with our paint. As long as you wax to keep it protected, a good once over to get the crap outta there is a great idea.

Joey the V looks sweet. Do you get to play with the "cousin" often?

mlg
02-03-06, 10:37 AM
did u provide the rubber stripe in photo 2 ?? was it the 2 or 4 dorr vette?? u dawg...

b4z
02-03-06, 11:25 AM
You guys might have more info than me but I'm not sure I agree with the guy who said wax was unecessary on clear coat paints.(whatever the composition)
Modern paints will still fade from sun exposure.
Any wax is another layer of protectant that will act as a barrier to damage.
I find it hard to believe that if I wax my car every 3 months so that it never goes without a protective layer that 10 years from now it will look
the same as a car that was only washed.
It just doesn't make sense.

And I do wish that GM would step up a little bit with their paint quality.

2DR CTS-V
02-03-06, 01:05 PM
sorry if they are the same pics..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blkss1755/IMG_0382.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blkss1755/CopyofIMG_0394.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blkss1755/IMG_0390.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blkss1755/IMG_0400.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blkss1755/IMG_0356.jpg

urbanski
02-03-06, 01:11 PM
sorry if they are the same pics..

]
um...how did another user get the same pics?

atdeneve
02-03-06, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing it's the friend that took the other pictures (probably the owner of the vette if his name is any indication - 2DR CTS-V). Those are Z06 wheels on the base vette, right? Don't see the quarter panel vents.

automag928
02-03-06, 02:37 PM
I'm guessing it's the friend that took the other pictures (probably the owner of the vette if his name is any indication - 2DR CTS-V). Those are Z06 wheels on the base vette, right? Don't see the quarter panel vents.

You are correct, those are c6 z06 wheels on a 2000 FRC (Fixed roof coupe)...Its the pre-cursor to the z06, only made in 99-00 and has the same body lines, just pretty much no ls6 and someother specifics...I'm in the process of selling my 99 FRC for a CTSV...hopefully...if i can find a reasonably priced one :)

ctsvett
02-03-06, 02:42 PM
Regardless of who made my paint, Clay bar and zaino make the paint look great and DOES keep dust from sticking to the car. Stains and dirt comes off much more easily.. I have confirmed this firsthand (I basically park on the tarmac of an airport).

Clay bar and zaino all day baby!

Reed

2DR CTS-V
02-03-06, 03:55 PM

yes, i'm joey's friend.. we've been friends for many years. i'm usually on corvetteforum.com.. my car is a 2000 Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC).. only made in 99+00.. 01 came out with the Z06 with the same body. the wheels i have a 18" hyperblack Z07 wheels. they are suppose to be a mix between the new Z06 wheels(06) and and the old Z06 wheels (01-04).

hopefully a V will be in my future soon. it's a great car.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2DR CTS-V
02-03-06, 03:59 PM
You are correct, those are c6 z06 wheels on a 2000 FRC (Fixed roof coupe)...Its the pre-cursor to the z06, only made in 99-00 and has the same body lines, just pretty much no ls6 and someother specifics...I'm in the process of selling my 99 FRC for a CTSV...hopefully...if i can find a reasonably priced one :)

the wheels are called Z07 wheels in a hyperblack finish. you can tell the difference in OEM Z06 wheels in these pics.. they are on my cousin's C5.. they are very similar. his are 18x9.5" with a 275/35/18 and 19x12" with a 325/30/19:eek: :eek:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blkss1755/IMG_0368.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/blkss1755/IMG_0372.jpg

VELOSE
02-03-06, 04:22 PM
I'm glad I just wanted to see pics. All this extra lube, buffer, and coats sounds wrong. Can we please stay on topic about how to claybar? :D

ctsvett
02-03-06, 04:32 PM
proper clay bar procedure if you have not yet clayed/ waxed the car.

I follow the Zaino method. One time (and one time only)... strip everything from the car using dawn dishwashing soap as the car wash soap... This removes all the wax, etc from the paint... Then claybar the car using zaino soap (or Z7) as a lubricant... Then apply z1.. then apply z2.. then apply as many coats of z7/z2 as you want to.... You should never really need to use the dawn again (I havent)... You can claybar "through" the zaino and then apply z2 or z7 after the clay bar...

I did the the weekend I got my car (despite it having been detailed by the dealer).. It is absolutly SICK the amount of crap that the clay took off the paint (rail dust)...

Reed

Z06CTSV
02-03-06, 04:33 PM
_moldy

You can tell in the pic, that the Corvette paint is better.

willsctsv
02-03-06, 04:47 PM
Wow Joe! Talk about shinny!
I got get some of that clay bar shit! The cars look great. Say whats' up to your buddy with the Vette.
By the way. March 3rd Englishtown NJ. Import vs. Domestic.
Want to go?

mlg
02-03-06, 05:15 PM
what about the rubber stripe in the forground ?? somebody knows how to enjoy their tires......

JOEYCTS-V
02-03-06, 06:21 PM
Joey the V looks sweet. Do you get to play with the "cousin" often?

:sneaky::shhh:

did u provide the rubber stripe in photo 2 ?? was it the 2 or 4 dorr vette?? u dawg...

Although we would love to take the credit, the rubber was already there.

You can tell in the pic, that the Corvette paint is better.

The vette's paint is maintained much better than my car. 2DR CTS-V really knows how to detail his car. :thumbsup: It's also not the same color black.

2DR CTS-V
02-03-06, 06:22 PM
I got get some of that clay bar shit! The cars look great. Say whats' up to your buddy with the Vette.
Want to go?

what's up will? Etown sounds nice to me.. just have to get Joe to go too:thumbsup:

JOEYCTS-V
02-03-06, 06:23 PM
Want to go?

Scroll up, he posted in this thread. I have to work on March 3rd. :rant2:

2DR CTS-V
02-03-06, 06:25 PM
The vette's paint is maintained much better than my car. 2DR CTS-V really knows how to detail his car. :thumbsup: It's also not the same color black.

thanks, joe.. it's hard to tell from the pics, but both our cars have excellent paint and shine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:gotta see them in person!!

urbanski
02-03-06, 06:30 PM
thanks for the awesome pics guys :cool: