: Head on Collision Avoided—Barely

gdwriter
02-02-06, 12:43 PM
Had a rather harrowing experience last night:

Even by Oregon standards, it's been a wet winter with lots of heavy rain that's flooded a number of roads, including this two-lane country road that parallels the Willamette River and serves as a back way into Salem from my home in Independence. It had been closed until recently, but even so, there are low spots with standing water covering all or part of the road. If there's nobody coming in the opposite lane, I'll cross the yellow line to avoid the deeper water. Perfectly normal.

Anyway, last night I'm cruising at 50-55—in my lane—when I round a curve and see headlights coming right at me. I slammed on the brakes and swerved. There's not much of a shoulder on this road and there are orchards and vinyards on both sides, so I could have easily slammed into a tree or vine arbor. There were no street lights and I didn't have time to look.

Cruella—God bless her—performed magnificently. Despite badly warped front rotors, her ABS kicked in and it felt like she stopped almost immediately, bouncing off the road into the mud and rocks and God knows what else. Looked her over this morning, and she appears to have emerged unscathed.

Whether the other driver was just oblivious or a *****, he didn't even slow down, but just kept right on going. Were I not so badly shaken—and shaking—I might have done a U-turn and at least gotten his plate number. I could have used Stoney or Powerglide to break open the can of Whoop-Ass.

So thank God and Cadillac, I'm still here. And Hoover, Sage and Pepper are not orphans this morning.

Boombotz
02-02-06, 01:13 PM
Wow, I have been in a head on accident and hope nobody ever has to experience it. I am glad everything turned out well for you.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-06, 01:18 PM
Well I'm very glad nothing happened to you or Cruella! :)

Side note: I let my friend drive "Josephine" last night and he was very impressed with the smooth ride, luxury and V8 power!
His car: 1993 Buick Century Custom Sedan with the 3.3 V6.

gdwriter
02-02-06, 03:04 PM
Well I'm very glad nothing happened to you or Cruella! :)

Side note: I let my friend drive "Josephine" last night and he was very impressed with the smooth ride, luxury and V8 power!
His car: 1993 Buick Century Custom Sedan with the 3.3 V6.

Thanks, Chad. Had we hit, I think Cruella would not have come through it as well as Josephine did her mishap (it happened so fast I'm not certain what the other car was; I think it was a Toyota Sienna).

My mom used to have a '91 or '92 Buick Century with the 3.3. It had pretty good power and was actually very good on gas. But I definitely prefer a V-8.

gdwriter
02-02-06, 03:11 PM
Wow, I have been in a head on accident and hope nobody ever has to experience it. I am glad everything turned out well for you.

Thanks, Julie. A few years ago, a friend t-boned a Sable that turned in front of her Suburban. It did about $6,000 in damage to the 'burban, but she was essentially unhurt (I think they scraped what was left of the Sable off the pavement). Even if she didn't have a big family, she said she won't drive anything else now.