: 94 seville sls oil pan gasket replacement...

tha_customizer
02-02-06, 04:35 AM
I have a 94 seville sls, and I recently got my car inspected and found out that my oil pan is leaking oil and it and its gasket need to be replaced. I don't wanna pay the shop quote of $880, when the part brand new is only $20. Can anyone steer me in the right direction of how to replace this? What tools would I need? Can this be done without removing the engine, as I've heard it can.

Ranger
02-02-06, 11:57 AM
My understanding is that the engine has to be removed, hence the high labor cost. I have heard of others having good results by removing the bolts one at a time, flushing the bolt hole and bolt threads with Brakekleen, then reinstaling them with a thread sealer. Do a search for pan gasket or oil leak and you should find some info on it.

JC316
02-02-06, 06:16 PM
Hehe, I would follow Rangers advice, It should take care of most of the leakage. You have two choices for the gasket.
1. Remove the Engine
2. Remove the Subframe.

They are both incredibly difficult tasks.

rfishing
02-02-06, 07:51 PM
A mechanic once told me, these leaks are not really from the pan gasket, but the end seal cap or something to that affect. Said, they had to be timeserted. A common problem for norstars, he claimed. Ours was under warrant at time, so no cost fortunately. But yes engine came out.

tha_customizer
02-02-06, 08:01 PM
Is it the same for a 95 seville?

mikeay
02-02-06, 08:14 PM
I'll quote what I have read:
"
1994 Cadillac Seville SLS
1993-94 ENGINES 4.6L V8
OIL PAN
NOTE: The engine oil pan removal procedure for 1993 Cadillac Allante, Eldorado and
Seville has been revised due to TSB 43-61-05 dated 06/10/1994. The removal
procedure below reflects those changes. It is necessary to remove either the
engine or transmission to allow for engine oil pan removal.

Removal
1. Engine oil pan removal is possible using 2 procedures. If removing engine to allow for engine oil pan
removal, see ENGINE . If removing transaxle to allow for engine oil pan removal,
z For 1993, see REMOVAL & INSTALLATION -A/T article in TRANSMISSION SERVICING.
z For 1994, see REMOVAL & INSTALLATION -A/T (4T80) article in TRANSMISSION
SERVICING.
2. Drain engine oil. Remove engine oil pan bolts and engine oil pan. Gasket is reusable unless damaged. DO
NOT remove gasket from engine oil pan unless replacement is required.
Installation
Install NEW engine oil pan gasket, if required, by starting seal into pan groove and working seal into groove in
both directions. Once seal is exposed to oil it will expand and no longer stay in groove without wrinkles. If
wrinkles exist, replace with NEW seal. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Tighten fasteners
to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS . See Fig. 14."

Ranger
02-02-06, 08:23 PM
Is it the same for a 95 seville?
Yes.

Guy,mn.usa
02-03-06, 09:42 AM
Try this before you do the gasket....
Remove the pan gasket bolts...one at a time. Do the centers first and work to the outside bolts holding the pan. When you take out the bolt wash it clean and rince out the bolt hole with brake cleaner..not carb cleaner....then coat the bolt with liquid teflon....thread it back in and torque it to spec.
This will clean up the oil leaking problem on the pan....
The next thing you want to do is pull the oil filter and oil filter housing...clean it really well with brake cleaner. Clean the block suface really good. Get the O-rings for it and replace them at the sensors and the one that mates to the block....coat the sensor threads and o-ring the a little liquid teflon...don't coat all the threads because you have to have sensor making electrical ground only coat it at the o-ring....no put a very thin coat of gray silicone on the o-ring and surface that mates to the block....put it back together...let it sit for an hour or so depending on temp and flash over time of the teflon and silicone...this is all done after you drain the oil of coarse. This could clean up your oil leaks and save you big bucks....try this first and see what happens?