: 97 headgaskets what else should be done?

fullserviceman
02-02-06, 02:12 AM
My Deville is going in for headgaskets the end of the month is there anything else I should have them do while the engine is out?? Also based on experiences what is the probability that the heads are cracked?? Any help is appreciated.

cart69
02-02-06, 08:40 AM
i am getting ready to do my head gaskets on my 96 sts and i plan to replace the water pump, and water pump belt, in addition to all new gasket for the motor, i have reused intake gaskets and such before since they are rubber but i plan to use all new for it.

i dont think i have heard of heads cracking often but some of the more expierenced guys can help more on that one

zonie77
02-02-06, 09:42 AM
The heads usually don't crack or warp. The gaskets are supposed to be reusable but if they are 10yrs old they aren't as flexible as they were new. I'd replace to save any annoying leaks.

If the heater blower motor cover is brittle you should replace it while the engine is out.

fullserviceman
02-02-06, 10:31 PM
so basicly all upper gaskets and oil pan gasket? water pump sounds like a good cheap prevenative thing also while the engine is out. Replace valve stem seals? (they come in the head set)

zonie77
02-03-06, 10:56 AM
We didn't have any work done on the heads and ours were OK. 3 times.

We checked them with a straightedge and went by how the engine had been running. Smooth, no oil burning, etc. Just overheating problem.

96 ERado
02-04-06, 06:34 PM
My 96 Eldorado has blown a head gasket. I've heard that taking the head bolts out of the aluminum block is very difficult and can lead to advanced reduction in billfold size. Are there any tricks?

Ranger
02-04-06, 08:57 PM
No tricks. If the threads are going to come out with the bolts, there is no way to prevent it. The best prevention for a future failure is to Timesert all 20 bolt holes. That means drilling out the threads anyway, retaping and installing the "Timesert" inserts. http://www.timesert.com This proceedure will reduce wallet size, but not as much as doing the job again in the future.

Zorb750
02-13-06, 05:49 AM
Buy the Timesert set from Enginetech.

I bought a set from them for $310 or 315. That's the tools, plus ten inserts. The ten additional inserts cost $1.88 apiece.

They are great to deal with. I have three of these engines (shop run by a friend of mine had a few left that the owners didn't want back) that just had bad gaskets and he considers repairing the engine a waste of time when he can just sell them a used engine for $2000-3000. I figure I will have the heads cleaned and magnafluxed and machined if necessary ($300 insurance policy), mic everything (crank, cams, etc) replace bearings, replace oil pumps, timing chains, all seals, etc., and try to get $1500 apiece for them.

I've rebuilt lots of engines, especially BMW engines, this one can't be any harder than a BMW 4.4 V8 or a ZR1 Corvette LT5 engine.