: Well, I'm black.

Jesda
02-02-06, 12:12 AM
During a meeting, we were talking about black history month at school, and how the Alliance of Black Collegians was racially exclusive and a little unfair. Friend of mine commented, "I mean, Jesda, I see how you might become a member, but for everyone else its exclusionary."

I grinned and said nothing. I'm going to roll with it. I am now black.

ElDawgg 2G
02-02-06, 12:40 AM
Hello...

Let me preface this by saying that I'm just your garden variety caucasian...

Last fall I got a ticket for making a left turn after the light had turned yellow
(I was already midway the intersection and was just completing the turn...)
Anyway...
The black officer marked my race as "Black" on the ticket.
I appeared in court and the judge threw out the ticket.

(Urban Chic...I guess!)

Kev
02-02-06, 12:57 AM
During a meeting, we were talking about black history month at school, and how the Alliance of Black Collegians was racially exclusive and a little unfair. Friend of mine commented, "I mean, Jesda, I see how you might become a member, but for everyone else its exclusionary."

I grinned and said nothing. I'm going to roll with it. I am now black.Gee, I always thought you were more of a chocolate or mocha color.... :hmm:

Me, I'm just a pasty white guy.

Hello...

Let me preface this by saying that I'm just your garden variety caucasian...

Last fall I got a ticket for making a left turn after the light had turned yellow
(I was already midway the intersection and was just completing the turn...)
Anyway...
The black officer marked my race as "Black" on the ticket.
I appeared in court and the judge threw out the ticket.

(Urban Chic...I guess!)Wow, you look kinda gray in that picture.....:bigroll:

70eldo
02-02-06, 02:51 AM
When I am in California or Arizona, I am either Mexican or Filippino. Even Mexicans talk Spanish to me and put on big eyes when I say I don't speak Spanish (I only speak Dutch, English, German, French and Indonesian). In Texas I was either Mexican or Cuban, though someone dropped Haiti on me too.
In Germany I am now Brazillian or Argentinian and in Holland they mostly guess right about my Indonesian roots (Indonesia was a colony of Holland), or sometimes they think I am either Maroccan or Caribbean...

And with sufficient sun I get black too :D

eldorado99
02-02-06, 03:08 AM
When I am in California or Arizona, I am either Mexican or Filippino. Even Mexicans talk Spanish to me and put on big eyes when I say I don't speak Spanish (I only speak Dutch, English, German, French and Indonesian). In Texas I was either Mexican or Cuban, though someone dropped Haiti on me too.
In Germany I am now Brazillian or Argentinian and in Holland they mostly guess right about my Indonesian roots (Indonesia was a colony of Holland), or sometimes they think I am either Maroccan or Caribbean...

And with sufficient sun I get black too :D
Only? I can barely speak English! and thats my only language! ;)

fast66
02-02-06, 04:06 AM
I get the mixed up with mexicans a lot here in so cal

davesdeville
02-02-06, 08:14 AM
I'm only black when there's absolutely no ambient light.

Sandy
02-02-06, 12:37 PM
he he I understand. Funny story here > I had some unpleasant words with a lady who ran a bread store, who I felt had cheated me. So, I spoke up, but nicely & politely ~ but she would not listen and shot back with; "That's how all you Italians are, nothing pleases you" ! This comment angered me, and my first thought was to reply, "But...I am NOT Italian; I am Jewish"
{I quickly thought better of it} and just left with my large loaf of just purchased STALE Portuguese bread.

LittleB
02-02-06, 12:53 PM
HAHA! That is definately something a Portuguese woman would say! :histeric:

JimHare
02-02-06, 04:28 PM
I have occasionally checked off "African American" on the odd survey, post card or other nosey intrusion. A buddy once watched me do it and said "What the heck are you doing?"

I said, "They don't specify how many generations you need to go back..if you think about it, we're ALL Africans...."

Kev
02-02-06, 04:31 PM
Well, it's a stretch but you do have a point!

addison_ii
02-02-06, 05:18 PM
Well I'm Native American/ Creole-Cajun/Caucasian/and Afro-American. So I guess I'm pretty well mixed in. But I have gotten mulatto, mexican(when my hair was longer) and just recently while checking my mailbox I was asked by and Indian fellow was I from India. So I enjoy my uniqueness to blend in with different ethnic societies. So I'd like to welcome Jesda to the Afro-American community. Just watch out for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, they talk too much :histeric:

LittleB
02-02-06, 05:24 PM
I know I heard some white/caucasian people are starting to write "European American" on the "other:" line. I thought that was interesting...I should start doing that LOL, sounds better than caucasian.

Ranger
02-02-06, 06:22 PM
I know I heard some white/caucasian people are starting to write "European American" on the "other:" line. I thought that was interesting...I should start doing that LOL, sounds better than caucasian.
You know I REALLY like that idea. I am going to adopt that from here on in. Thanks!

LittleB
02-02-06, 06:25 PM
No problemo :thumbsup:

LittleB
02-02-06, 06:26 PM
Let's start a movement!!!! lol j/k :D

Krashed989
02-02-06, 06:31 PM
I dont know... I don't think I like the sound of you're-a-peeing American... lol... I think I'll stick with caucasian, or haole (hawaiian pidgin for white people)

LittleB
02-02-06, 06:34 PM
LOL!! Wow I never looked at the word that way...I just don't like the word caucasian. It's awkward to me...

MrSmith
02-02-06, 09:30 PM
Well um black yall, and thats a fact yall. Im blacker than black but um black yall.

Um black as the black thats black bligity blackity black black as the Cadi the lack black as the tie in the back bligity blackity black. hahahaha

From that movie CB4

AHHH wooo

anywho

heres something to take your mind off things ---> enjoy (vcdstorage.com/mission_impossible.htm)

JimHare
02-02-06, 10:02 PM
LOL!! Wow I never looked at the word that way...I just don't like the word caucasian. It's awkward to me...

Not to quibble here, but why would the word 'caucasian' be awkward? It the actually correct anthropological term for a person exhibiting the caucasoid skeletal and physiological features. It is a scientific term. that is used to describe a fairly large portion of humanity. Does "homo sapiens" evince the same awkwardness? It shouldn't.

That's why I sometimes have trouble understanding the reluctance to use the word "Negro" to describe a person of that race. I know that 'black Americans' were told that the use of 'negro' was demeaning to them, but thats like saying the use of the term 'felinus domesticus' is demeaning to a cat.

First they were told to describe themselves as "blacks" instead of "Negroes", a situation I found somewhat amusing, considering the cultural bias in most of the western world against things "black" - black magic, black book, black box, black arts, etc, are all used to describe things with a less than savory characteristic.

Then we were instructed to use the term "Afro American" and that stood for a while, until it became too closely associated with Bobby Seale and Huey Newton and the Black Panthers.

Now we've morphed to the completely useless-in-terms-of-accuracy "African American". It seems we've moved from precise to pedantic to completly obfuscating.

Would you call a person who emigrated here from Cairo an "African American"? How about a Boer from Rhodesia?

Every other racial designation accepted by the EEOC in their personnel requirements describes an anthropological racial descriptor, which have nothing to do with the geographical area of origination. Except for African American - where you're asked to describe WHERE you came from, instead of WHAT you are.

Silly.

The whole idea of classifying people by some archiaic physical morphology is ridiculous. We are all humans. Yeah, 10,000 years ago there were a bit more morphological and forensic differences between the different races that spread out from the Olduavi Gorge 3 million years ago. But what with Mr. Chang marrying Miss Smith, and Miss Yamaguchi marrying Mr. Cortez..all that stuff is pretty much ridiculous now.

I suggest we ALL stop even filling out that damn checkbox, and just go on being humans....

MrSmith
02-02-06, 10:11 PM
But what with Mr. Chang marrying Miss Smith.

what? say it aint soooo:crying2:

Krashed989
02-02-06, 11:02 PM
But what with Mr. Chang marrying Miss Smith.

what? say it aint soooo:crying2:

LMAO :histeric:

LittleB
02-02-06, 11:47 PM
Not to quibble here, but why would the word 'caucasian' be awkward? It the actually correct anthropological term for a person exhibiting the caucasoid skeletal and physiological features. It is a scientific term. that is used to describe a fairly large portion of humanity. Does "homo sapiens" evince the same awkwardness? It shouldn't.

That's why I sometimes have trouble understanding the reluctance to use the word "Negro" to describe a person of that race. I know that 'black Americans' were told that the use of 'negro' was demeaning to them, but thats like saying the use of the term 'felinus domesticus' is demeaning to a cat.

First they were told to describe themselves as "blacks" instead of "Negroes", a situation I found somewhat amusing, considering the cultural bias in most of the western world against things "black" - black magic, black book, black box, black arts, etc, are all used to describe things with a less than savory characteristic.

Then we were instructed to use the term "Afro American" and that stood for a while, until it became too closely associated with Bobby Seale and Huey Newton and the Black Panthers.

Now we've morphed to the completely useless-in-terms-of-accuracy "African American". It seems we've moved from precise to pedantic to completly obfuscating.

Would you call a person who emigrated here from Cairo an "African American"? How about a Boer from Rhodesia?

Every other racial designation accepted by the EEOC in their personnel requirements describes an anthropological racial descriptor, which have nothing to do with the geographical area of origination. Except for African American - where you're asked to describe WHERE you came from, instead of WHAT you are.

Silly.

The whole idea of classifying people by some archiaic physical morphology is ridiculous. We are all humans. Yeah, 10,000 years ago there were a bit more morphological and forensic differences between the different races that spread out from the Olduavi Gorge 3 million years ago. But what with Mr. Chang marrying Miss Smith, and Miss Yamaguchi marrying Mr. Cortez..all that stuff is pretty much ridiculous now.

I suggest we ALL stop even filling out that damn checkbox, and just go on being humans....

YIKES! LOL....I didn't mean the meaning behind the word caucasian was awkward or anything, there are just some words that sounds awkward to me. It has nothing to do with what the word describes etc., just the sound of it.

I agree with your last line!!! :thumbsup: :D

Kev
02-02-06, 11:58 PM
YIKES! LOL....I didn't mean the meaning behind the word caucasian was awkward or anything, there are just some words that sounds awkward to me. It has nothing to do with what the word describes etc., just the sound of it.

I agree with your last line!!! :thumbsup: :DIf you are talking phonetics, it kinda sounds like it's describing a Chinese man or something....... maybe a Chinese rooster?? :bigroll: :rolleyes: :hmm:

LittleB
02-03-06, 12:17 AM
EXACTLY!! See that's why I like Kev. You so get it!

Kev
02-03-06, 12:51 AM
EXACTLY!! See that's why I like Kev. You so get it!Yes, I know.... I'm just....so gifted. <sigh> (blows on fingernails and polishes them on shirt)
Thank you, thank you all... :cool2:

JimHare
02-03-06, 06:07 AM
If you are talking phonetics, it kinda sounds like it's describing a Chinese man or something....... maybe a Chinese rooster?? :bigroll: :rolleyes: :hmm:

First, LB - Gotcha - I understand now - I misread your post and thought you were uncomfortable with the word itself...

Kev - :D - Veddy good, you inscrutable round-eye..veddy good... :bomb:

Hell, if you think "Caucasian" is awkward, it's a good thing we don't refer to the oriental physiognomy as "Mongoloid" anymore.

Jesda
02-03-06, 08:14 AM
Now that I've gone black, is it true that I cant go back?

Kev
02-03-06, 01:06 PM
...Kev - :D - Veddy good, you inscrutable round-eye..veddy good... :bomb: Thanks! :rolleyes:

Hell, if you think "Caucasian" is awkward, it's a good thing we don't refer to the oriental physiognomy as "Mongoloid" anymore.Oh, that one isn't too bad, just makes me think of a really large Christopher Lloyd :p

http://www.autographdealer.com/images/ChristopherLLoyd.jpg

LittleB
02-03-06, 01:54 PM
Now that I've gone black, is it true that I cant go back?

Jesda, you are just so effing hilarious :histeric:

No sadly, you can't go back, because once you go black you don't go back...:D

DBA-One
02-03-06, 02:26 PM
Try converting to Judaism. When I bought the Torah The guy looked at me like a freak.

addison_ii
02-03-06, 05:54 PM
Now that I've gone black, is it true that I cant go back?Yes it is true. Going Black means instant penile enlargement, instant acceleration of sport related skills, and instant Afro-growth. Better go get that hair pick now.:histeric: j/k

**This post was not meant to insult the above mentioned ethnic group, it was merely meant to show the silliness of stereotypical categorization.**

peterb
02-03-06, 07:30 PM
Amen.

I'll tell you what I dislike about America :shocked: ...

When I arrive at one of your airports, I'm made to stand in a queue which says 'aliens'. Do I look like I come from another planet?

Kev
02-03-06, 07:34 PM
Amen.

When I arrive at one of your airports, I'm made to stand in a queue which says 'aliens'. Do I look like I come from another planet?You would have to post a pic of your self in the picture thread for us to be the judge of that.

Elvis
02-03-06, 07:54 PM
Amen.

When I arrive at one of your airports, I'm made to stand in a queue which says 'aliens'. Do I look like I come from another planet?

No, it's probably because you use words like "queue." :histeric:

;)

Welcome aboard, by the way. You don't have to own a Cadillac to be here. :shhh:

Just love them. :welcome:

peterb
02-03-06, 08:02 PM
You would have to post a pic of your self in the picture thread for us to be the judge of that.
Okay, done! :bonkers:

peterb
02-03-06, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I don't mind loving Cadillacs, as long as I can keep my Audi!

Kev
02-03-06, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I don't mind loving Cadillacs, as long as I can keep my Audi!Well.... OK!