: Most underappreciated American cars of the last 50 years

noahsdad
02-01-06, 10:47 PM
Now that we've put all the McCombie business behind us, let's get back to some enjoyable speculation.

This thread is a place to post what you believe to be the most underappreciated domestic cars from the last 50 years. Please limit your nomination to two cars. Give a short description of the qualities you like about it. You may either nominate or vote if someone already has picked yours.

Here's mine:

http://members.tripod.com/baby_girl038/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/67cougar2.jpg

1967 Cougar XR-7
The luxury Mustang. Handled great, comfortable, and that flush gauge XR-7 dash was like a jet-fighter!

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/features/2004/ford-thunderbird/03-large/1980-f3q.jpg

1980-82 Thunderbirds - based on the Fairmont/Fox chassis, they made big-bird lovers recoil in horror...but these really were sweet riding cars, nicely appointed, a luxurious interior and a cool digital dash.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-01-06, 10:49 PM
1986-92 Oldsmobile Toronado.
Great looking cars (1990-92) great motor/drivetrain, good performance, good luxury, lots of features. Great nameplate. Never sold well though :(

Jesda
02-01-06, 10:55 PM
The Mazda 929! My unicorn!!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Buick Reatta

THE ALMIGHTY ALLANTE

HotRodSaint
02-01-06, 10:59 PM
1967 Cougar XR-7
The luxury Mustang. Handled great, comfortable, and that flush gauge XR-7 dash was like a jet-fighter!

I'd second that one. It was a sexier body style verses the Mustang IMHO too.

But only the '67, it was downhill from there.

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-06, 11:16 PM
63 Studebaker Wagonaire "Daytona"
(think GMC Envoy XUV , almost 40 years before ,just as unsucessful)

80s AMC Eagle 4wd .....Think Subaru Outback .....20 years before it and other "crossovers" got popular

Night Wolf
02-01-06, 11:25 PM
63 Studebaker Wagonaire "Daytona"
(think GMC Envoy XUV , almost 40 years before ,just as unsucessful)

80s AMC Eagle 4wd .....Think Subaru Outback .....20 years before it and other "crossovers" got popular

eh...

my mom had a 1984 AMC Eagle... yes, it was the Outback before Outbacks... it had the 4.2 I6... good power boost from her Chevette....

but the damn thing was breaking down non-stop. It was in nice shape... but everything on that car broke....

JimHare
02-01-06, 11:31 PM
Although it has its cadre of devoted admirers, you'd have to consider something as groundbreaking as the 1963 Studebaker Avanti in this list.

Raymond Loewy design

Fiberglass body

Front disc brakes (first American car to have 'em),

289 cubic inch engine (why does that sound familiar???) Supercharged option gave it 300HP...

Padded dash (Think of the normal dashboards in 1963..safety by Gilette..)

Built in roll bar.

Lighted vanity mirror in glovebox door.

http://www.jmhare.com/images/63Avanti.jpg

-------------------------

http://www.jmhare.com/images/Avanti2.jpg

http://www.theavanti.com/TechSpecs.html

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-06, 11:34 PM
There is still alot of them slideing around in alaska ...

up there if you own a car its a eagle , or a outback .....makes sense too ....

History will show AMC was always a few years ahead of there time , and always lacking the rescources to do things exactly right , something GM is now going thru ....

You can still get a brand new AMC , but itll cost you 100 grand , its called a Hummer H1 ....nowdays tho GM owns that group ....but in the early days AM General was the military division of AMC , it was spun off prior to the 80s , left to flater on its own till gm saw the profitabilty of the H1 ...and promtly bought it ...from i belive general dynamics .....

I could be wrong on that , General Dynmaics still lays claim to all military Hummer production ....

Blackout
02-01-06, 11:40 PM
I think one of the most underappreciated cars of the past 20 years would have to be the Ford Taurus SHO. Everytime I see one people treat them as if it were any other Taurus and are always in shit shape

Stoneage_Caddy
02-01-06, 11:45 PM
I think one of the most underappreciated cars of the past 20 years would have to be the Ford Taurus SHO. Everytime I see one people treat them as if it were any other Taurus and are always in shit shape
whats incredible is that many SHOs are still on the road , and as you say are being treated like a everymans car ....the cars from day one had a little rougher life being a enthusast's car ....yet there is still MANY out there , on there 5th or 6th owner ....kinda a testment to Yahmahas engineering ...i would vernture to say there are more SHOs out there then Tarus Wagons with 3.8s

Sandy
02-01-06, 11:47 PM
Avanti
AMC Eagle, Hornet AWD Sedan, Coupe & Wagon
Imperial of 1957 thru 1975.
Boattail Riviera 1970-1973
Cadillac Catera in final year
AMC Javelin 401 AMX
Packard of 1955 & 1956

HotRodSaint
02-02-06, 12:23 AM
Current:-
Infiniti Q45
(If you don't believe...take one out for a ride 'n drive !)

I still wouldn't beleive that it's an AMERICAN car, even if I drove it to Detroit and back!! :)

HotRodSaint
02-02-06, 12:25 AM
Ok, if people are going to list 'foriegn made' domestically badged cars, I'd like to list the Ford (Mercury) Capri MkI.

Sandy
02-02-06, 12:31 AM
Oops, sorry !! By the time I got down there, I 4-got it said AMERICAN. I'll go back & delete it, right now !

DONE

Jesda
02-02-06, 12:46 AM
Oh, American.

Yeah, Reatta.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-06, 01:57 AM
Any of the International Series Oldsmobiles from about '85-91.

Basically they were upscale Pontiacs. All of Oldsmobile's goodies, but they had a more european feel to them.

International Series consisted of:

Ninety Eight (Touring Sedan)
Cutlass Ciera GT & International Series (depending on year)
Toronado Trofeo
Cutlass Supreme FWD(Coupe and Sedan)
Cutlass Calais International Series

Usually it was; bucket seats, floor shifter w/ console, full instrumentation, Driver Information Center, H.O. motor, stiffer suspension, bigger wheels.

Really a cool idea, too bad they killed Oldsmobile :nono:
Who's decision was that?

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
02-02-06, 06:08 AM
I'll ad the 1998 - 2002 STS

In the UK it got slated by the press, they couldn't even manage triple digit sales figures most years, and it is features as no 47 in a book entitled "The 50 Worst Cars of all time".

Whereas I think it's a great car so...

noahsdad
02-02-06, 07:34 AM
History will show AMC was always a few years ahead of there time , and always lacking the rescources to do things exactly right , something GM is now going thru ...

You speak the truth brother! I worked for an AMC dealer in the late 70s, just before the end. Some of the cars were simply ridiculous, and the build quality was horrid - but AMC was an idea company!

I'll also toss in my vote for the Allante and the Taurus SHO.

gothicaleigh
02-02-06, 10:41 AM
Oh, American.
Yeah, Reatta.

I'll second that though. One of my favorite Buick's.
Nice small coupe design with a 3800 V6 under the hood and an interior matching the Riviera (quirky touch screen and all).

I honestly have no idea why it didn't go over well. Excellent car all around.

PAW 47
02-02-06, 11:07 AM
The Cosworth Powered Vega!! The frist (DOHC) 4 banger ever put in to a GM car. The Cosworth DOHC I-4 was the precurser what its now/was the GM Quad 4.

http://chrislongonline.com/images/carspeedrome.jpg

http://chrislongonline.com/images/7-24-00__engine_complete.jpg

Elvis
02-02-06, 11:13 AM
1966 Toronado.

My all-time favorite. Someday....someday...

HotRodSaint
02-02-06, 11:19 AM
Most 'classic' Cadillacs from the '60's and '50 are underappreciated in todays collector car market, where matching number high horsepower Chevies, Fords and Mopars are all the rage.

Persoanlly, I prefer a '63 Coupe De Ville over a '63 Impalla.

FSU_Noles
02-02-06, 11:51 AM
The Cadillac Allante. Definitely underappreciated.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-06, 01:23 PM
1980-83 Lincoln Mark VI

Coupe and Sedan, reliable (if slow) 302 V8 (351 optional in '80), good looks, very very posh interior, lots of neat features (trip computer!!!) I guess they dont handle too bad either, all things considered.

Actually, the entire Mark Series from 1968-92 is pretty underappreciated by the mainstream market. The 93-98 Mark VIII's are more appreciated and known.

JC316
02-02-06, 06:48 PM
1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII. Not many of them were sold due to the Lexus revoloution and people treat them like utter crap.

davesdeville
02-03-06, 04:11 AM
I agree on the SHO and Allante, although they do have their following.

And K-Cars. They weren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Patrick7997
02-03-06, 10:54 AM
I agree with some of these... My buddy had a Taurus SHO, it was surprisingly nice.... a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

Pan 47 - You might be amused to know my parents bought the first Vega sold in America. I kid you not. A complete POS, I'm sorry to say.

JC 316 - the mark 8 was nice, a buddy had one, but it spent it's life yearning to be an Eldorado, and it never was....

Okay, if I can only have 2 nominations, here they are:

#1: Buick Reatta. Should have been an instant classic. I rode in one, it was nice. I'll never know why it didn't catch on. Perception as a "woman's" car, maybe???

#2: 1990 & 1991 Cadillac Eldorado. Toronado Trofeo has already been nominated, a similar car. I had a 90, and it was a real nice car. A little small, but it had a super-solid feel on the road. A real nice car. Very underrated.

Honorable Mention: Cadillac Allante. The early ones had problems, true, but they are super sharp looking. Late ones had Northstars, putting the performance where it should have been all along. I think the poorly executed early ones doomed the line. The wonderful late examples never got their due, as is so often the case.

Another honorable Mention: The last Rivieras. Those were nice cars. Totally unappreciated. You can pick them up for nothing now.