: I embarrassed my V today…

barry007
02-01-06, 06:50 PM
So i'm on a freeway that does not have any really easy to get to gas stations...I can probably stop the story here as you all know where this is headed.

I usually am pretty anal about keeping plenty of fuel in the tank but today I was running late for a meeting and couldn't stop on my way there. Once back on the freeway on my way back to the office the fuel light comes on and less than 15 miles later I am stuck on the exit ramp (in the right traffic lane mind you) about 300yds from the gas station. It's really amazing how many people do not pay attention - my V must have been inches from being rear ended a dozen times.

Moral of the story, when the V says I am hungry, feed her.:alchi:

urbanski
02-01-06, 06:54 PM
a few days ago i put 16.2 gallons in....
i had to put some of my lawnmower gas in my tank just to get to the station!!!
funny, but it goes from 1/2 to empty in 20 miles :p

GT04CTS-V
02-01-06, 06:58 PM
Yup - I ran mine out of gas as well. When the biotch says low fuel, it's not joking. Fill er up - quick. :hide:LOL

GT

VELOSE
02-01-06, 07:03 PM
I learned that lesson under some serious embarrassment.

Not too long ago, I was at a track event in the V. I went out and did two sessions of 20min. I notice the gas guage said I had a little over a 1/4 tank of gas. I figured I could put 4-5 laps before I come in and call that third session off. I was wrong. I did 2 laps and was coming down the straight away when the car begins to sputter. I figured out I ran out of gas. I moved off the track but because of the location I was at, which was too close to a turn, they had to close the course till they can either tow me off, or get me gas. The tow truck driver couldn't tow me because I didn't have a hook in front. So the only choice was to get gas brought out to me. Obviously that took some time and made too many to count get very, very, angry.

The guys in my group that had to be parked because I didn't have gas were raging mad. I basically took time off their track day because I ran out of gas. Supposedly that's the worst excuse to have when stranded on the track. So from there on, I will not run out of gas at a track event again.

So if you embarrassed the V, I take the cake over you on my experience. Hope this makes you feel better. :D

willsctsv
02-01-06, 09:45 PM
Yep! The V is one thirsty Mother!
Bottom line, don't go under a 1/4 tank, it seems to drop fast from there.
Barry007, The V is no ricer, when it told you that you needed gas I'm surprised you still went 15 miles. When I had a Jetta I could drive all week on an 1/8 of a tank!

ahahnu
02-01-06, 10:01 PM
That sux! I've been really really close 16.8. I miss the economy of the VR6. 30 miles minimum after the gas light went on.

V Amazed
02-01-06, 10:12 PM
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has had this problem. When it says "low range" it's not joking. Mine conked out on me like 30 yards from the gas station once. Embarassing as all hell. That mofo needs fuel like crazy.

Ben

Luna.
02-01-06, 10:32 PM
a few days ago i put 16.2 gallons in....
i had to put some of my lawnmower gas in my tank just to get to the station!!!

Oh god Urb...you had me in tears reading this!! :histeric:

I also love how the "range" might say 100 miles, yet you really only have like 25!! :bonkers:

Barry---you are in Detroit, yes? You can just walk to the stadium to watch the Steelers...:cloud9:

1fstkde
02-01-06, 10:53 PM
ditto here, the first week i got the car, got a couple free gallons of gas from my dealer when i called onstar..learned my lesson.. when the fuel light comes on you better get your ass to the station....

azombie
02-01-06, 11:39 PM
whats gas? i converted my V to run off of used cooking oil

CIWS
02-02-06, 12:56 AM
In my case the car's computer has been very accurate to tell me how much fuel has been used. If I get down to 16 gallons used, it's time to find a station ASAP. :yup:

cdog533
02-02-06, 12:58 AM
Guys, mine was exactly the same way...

BUT, last time I was in, for the oil temp reflash, they are evidently reflashing the fuel gauge too... Mine is now normal and even at E has a gallon or so left. But it will run 40-50 miles from 1/4 tank to E... it used to be like 15 miles.

atdeneve
02-02-06, 08:38 AM
Yeeaaah! So, I'm not the only idiot here. I feel much better now. Good company. Good company.
No, but in all seriousness, I could not believe it when I ran out of gas. Even in a Suburban, when the gas light goes off, I feel I go another 30 to 40 miles. I figured that, since, according to the manual, there is another 2 gallons left when the low indicator goes off, I had at least another 20 miles if I were to do 10 miles to the gallon. Nope. It went caput, amazingly, just as I was pulling into my driveway. Nise.
If there is a reflash for the fuel gauge, I am definitely going to inquire about that. Thanks.

brtnharv
02-02-06, 12:45 PM
I almost ran out back in december, it was 10 degrees out in the middle of nowhere between pittsburgh and charlotte. I drifted quite a few miles and getting it up to 85-90 and letting her go. When I finally got gas I put 16.9 gallons fuel in her to fill up. I was amazed.

BadCad
02-02-06, 02:45 PM
When I installed my mods, I swear the gas tank got smaller and smaller with each mod....

rand49er
02-02-06, 02:48 PM
... I put 16.9 gallons fuel in her ...I hear ya.

Barry, same here happened to me back in December when we were getting all that snow. I coasted of US-23 onto Washtenaw and pulled into a station with it snowing like crazy and put in 16.8 gal plus ... whew! Talk about a non-linear gas gauge!!! It indicated, so-called just under half a tank when I left the house ... that needle drops like a rock after that. :helpless: Wouldn't have been so bad, but I had my three-year-old in the back seat which would have complicated things way too much if she'd run out.

thefred
02-02-06, 04:53 PM
Ran out on my first tank. When the light goes on, you better pull her into the gas station or you'll be walking! There's no reserve in there like most cars....

Dennisscars
02-02-06, 11:14 PM
Same thing happened to me 2nd time out, worse on high G rh turn, it'll sputter once to give you fair warning but you won't make it around again.

Each time since the debit card people have called and left message "uh, someone is filling up three times in one day."

GOTTSPD
02-03-06, 09:34 AM
My warning screen came on last night when I was on my way to pick up dinner for my wife and I. I knew if I got gas that the food would be waiting, plus I'd be slowing down the dinner process... but then I thought about if I had to deal with running out of gas, so I made a beeline to the gas station and drained my 401K in order to fill it up. ;)

-uplink-
02-03-06, 02:39 PM
That sounds more like the treadwear on the F1's. :histeric:
-Mike

barry007
02-04-06, 11:40 AM
I hear ya.

Barry, same here happened to me back in December when we were getting all that snow. I coasted of US-23 onto Washtenaw and pulled into a station with it snowing like crazy and put in 16.8 gal plus ... whew! Talk about a non-linear gas gauge!!! It indicated, so-called just under half a tank when I left the house ... that needle drops like a rock after that. :helpless: Wouldn't have been so bad, but I had my three-year-old in the back seat which would have complicated things way too much if she'd run out.

Thank the V gods it's not just me...i put 17.3 gallons in. I can't believe it took that much. I've learned my lesson, fill her up at 1/2 tank.

On a side note, FLYBOY posted about getting 25+ with cruise set at 65mph...seeing as i've never stayed much at that speed I tried it last night on my way back from the NFL experience (really cool btw) sure enough at 65mph over 15 miles =25.4pmg - at 70mph (normal cruising speed) = 21.4mpg.

B