: New member - Test drove 96 FWB today

HashiriyaS14
02-01-06, 07:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I've only recently been turned onto the cars, I generally come from a (gasp!) Japanese sports car/compact background. My current daily driver is an immaculate 1998 240sx 5spd, but I've been gradually getting more and more interested in the LT1 Fleetwoods.

My original intention was to purchase a 90-96 Q45 (which I've yet to ever drive), and it still may be, but the Fleetwoods seem like an attractive, less complicated alternative. I've got to say, when I actually got to drive one today, it was very unlike anything I've ever driven before. The low-end power was simply astounding, and I found myself going 80mph before I knew it, all the while it feeling more like 40mph. It obviously felt much floatier than my current car, but I was certainly expecting that, and it wasn't necessarily a negative (although improved braking would be a high priority for me).

Suffice it to say, my MR2 and RX7-driving friends would probably get a laugh out of me pulling up in a Fleetwood, but in many cases, I'd likely have the last laugh on the highway, especially with some bolt-ons.

We'll see if I actually end up with one of these. I'm still not entirely convinced it makes sense as my daily driver, but then again, I'm not convinced that it doesn't either. I've still got a lot of other stuff to go and drive, but I just thought I'd chime in about how much I enjoyed the test drive. If I had the parking space available to just keep one of these around for occasional usage, it'd be an absolute no-brainer.

N0DIH
02-01-06, 07:34 PM
They are fun cars, if you can, look for RPO (Regular Production Option) V4P, this is the 7000# towing package. Easy spot, look for mechanical fan, and then look for the codes in the trunk. You think the base FW/FWB has low end, you should try the V4P! Or any other FW/FWB with 3.42 to 3.73 gears (stock is 2.56 for a FW and 2.93 for a FWB). You will really love it!!

FW=Fleetwood
FWB=Fleetwood Brougham (more options most of the time)

The first time you go spanking them cars people think are fast will not let you turn back. (Hemi Dodge Ram is slower than my FWB...stock to stock) These cars are far from slugs....

caddycruiser
02-01-06, 08:54 PM
I know the feeling. I'm 19 and in college, and while most people I know drive Accords, Jettas, 3-series, etc., I'm the "odd duck" who's fallen in love with these big beasts. After my dad bought the '93 Fleetwood (year without the LT1, but still a darn quick car:thumbsup: ), I knew for SURE I had to have one myself.

For a while, I was pretty sure of the fact that I was going to end up with a similar '93 and no LT1, but just happened to stumble upon one when I was on Autotrader.com one night that not only was in my price range, but was a '95 LT1 car, was a gorgeous color combo, and was only 20 miles from our house.

Needless to say, even though I did take about a good 2 weeks to really think it through, I ended up buying it--just couldn't justify letting such a nice Fleetwood go to someone else, when it was so close to home (these RARELY ever pop up around here, much like a lot of other places).

Only got to drive it once or twice before leaving back to school, but I really love the thing....when everyone else is out there spending tons of money trying to get their little P.O.S. 4-banger to sound raspy and have any power, I'm riding in fully leather-lined, heated seated, Vette-powered luxury...and COMPLETELY under the radar of the cops. Not that I drive like a nut, but BOY does driving an "old person's" car ever have its benefits:yup: :yup:

And, if you don't like the typical boat feel, these cars have all the guts of an Impala SS, so it's VERY simple to turn one into quite the crisp, road-holding land yacht with some serious power!

ocjmakaveli
02-01-06, 10:12 PM
Major advantages of having a GM car are cheaper parts especially for our fleetwoods since it shares all the parts with impala ss caprice and roadmasters.

Lots of room to work in.

Very easy repairs pretty simple system drivetrain you don't have to deal with the compactness of fwd cars.

Don't have to deal with the uncomfortable feeling of a compact, you can lay down in the back and fit upto 6 grown people in it. At the same time you can also carry 2 grown people in the trunk :canttalk: :yup:

Safety is a plus......more cushion in a crash.

Easily can be made to handle like a compact for about $600 in parts including lowering springs and sway bars. Better tires optional.

The gas mpg isn't bad 20-25mpg average highway and about 15-18 city driving avg.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-01-06, 10:19 PM
Ah so you had your "Cadillac virginity" taken by a '96 FWB....

Mine was taken by a 1993 Sedan deVille.

caddycruiser
02-01-06, 10:56 PM
--

HashiriyaS14
02-02-06, 02:05 PM
Major advantages of having a GM car are cheaper parts especially for our fleetwoods since it shares all the parts with impala ss caprice and roadmasters.

Lots of room to work in.

Very easy repairs pretty simple system drivetrain you don't have to deal with the compactness of fwd cars.

Don't have to deal with the uncomfortable feeling of a compact, you can lay down in the back and fit upto 6 grown people in it. At the same time you can also carry 2 grown people in the trunk :canttalk: :yup:

Safety is a plus......more cushion in a crash.

Easily can be made to handle like a compact for about $600 in parts including lowering springs and sway bars. Better tires optional.

The gas mpg isn't bad 20-25mpg average highway and about 15-18 city driving avg.

Yeah, these are all the reasons that make me so interested in them. It'd surely be a lot cheaper to work on one compared to, say, a Q45.

As for the "sports car like handling", I'd probably be content with the Impala SS suspension/brake gear and no more, I'm not sure I'd want a Fleetwood that rides like an M5, even if it were possible, just doesn't seem like the right use of the car to me. I'd be retaining a sports car anyway, so when I want a sports car, I'd just drive the sports car.

I still have to go drive a Q, or at least something else with a monstrous DOHC quad-cam V8, but I think that the Cadillac had a unique charm that these other cars likely won't have.

Another big added bonus of the Caddy is the tow capacity. What better way to tow a stripped-down racecar or shifter kart to the track than in a huge, cushy, obnoxiously powerful Cadillac:cool2: Q's and LS400s can't do that.

caddycruiser
02-02-06, 03:12 PM
I too have been tempted by some older Q45's and even LS400's I've stumbled upon. Even found some in the price range, but when I REALLY thought about it, the bit higher level of fit&finish and refinement just wasn't worth what I might have to put into one as far as down the road maintenance.

Would still love to drive either, just to see, but right now, I'm more than satisfied with the Fleetwood. For whatever reason, my '95 really doesn't seem to float as much as the '93, and is significantly faster off the line and up higher, so that makes me like it even more. These cars have "bugs" too, but all are very, very minor and more than acceptable for a 10+ year old car.

HashiriyaS14
02-02-06, 05:22 PM
I haven't been nearly as attracted to the LS400 as I have been to the Q or the Fleet. They lack both performance and personality, IMO. They are built like swiss watches and are nice to look at, but all things equal, I'd never take a stock LS over a stock G50 Q or LT1 Fleet at equal mileage and price, never.

Give me a 1JZ-swapped 500hp LS and we'll talk, but otherwise, I'd have to get one at a throwaway price to consider it. LS's just don't seem "special" like LT1 Fleets and Q45s.

caddycruiser
02-02-06, 05:42 PM
I haven't been nearly as attracted to the LS400 as I have been to the Q or the Fleet. They lack both performance and personality, IMO. They are built like swiss watches and are nice to look at, but all things equal, I'd never take a stock LS over a stock G50 Q or LT1 Fleet at equal mileage and price, never.

Give me a 1JZ-swapped 500hp LS and we'll talk, but otherwise, I'd have to get one at a throwaway price to consider it. LS's just don't seem "special" like LT1 Fleets and Q45s.

I agree, and that's why I signed the check for the Caddy:thumbsup:

I can't tell you how terrific it is to have such a big, expensive looking, tire scorching luxo-barge that people think is so pricey, but that costs me less to maintain than what the average person would spend on a POS Cavalier...and REALLY cost me peanuts to buy!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-06, 09:16 PM
The thing about the Q45 and LS400 is that are very nice cars, but they have no personality...no soul

The Fleetwood Brougham isnt as advanced (by far) but it's got a personality, a soul, this sort of vehicular charisma that nothing else can touch!

caddycruiser
02-02-06, 09:26 PM
The thing about the Q45 and LS400 is that are very nice cars, but they have no personality...no soul

The Fleetwood Brougham isnt as advanced (by far) but it's got a personality, a soul, this sort of vehicular charisma that nothing else can touch!

Agreed. There's just something "special", even if the car is lower tech and was less expensive new.

No one was really envious of me in high school when I drove the '93 (very few people even seemed to notice), but a few changed their mind completely when I took them for a ride and were completely amazed...even over little things like the vanity mirrors in the back:yup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-06, 10:20 PM
Well that too, but I mean how its so damn big and impressive and wholly american!

caddycruiser
02-02-06, 10:51 PM
Well that too, but I mean how its so damn big and impressive and wholly american!

Precisely, and not nearly as commonplace and boring as the last remaining luxury dinosaur, the Town Car. Most of those are beautiful cars too, but a LOT more run of the mill.

96Fleetwood
02-02-06, 11:40 PM
You will not regret the purchase. I was going to buy a 1996 Impala SS, but decided to go with the Fleetwood because you could buy them fully loaded with moonroof, and they had a much higher MSRP... and are now $3-5K cheaper than a comparable SS with the same mileage.

Here is my baby with a few SS goodies:

http://www.richmonddubs.com/gallery/albums/leloz/P1270529_001.sized.jpg

http://www.richmonddubs.com/gallery/albums/leloz/161_6169_IMG.jpg

http://www.richmonddubs.com/gallery/albums/leloz/161_6156_IMG.jpg

96Fleetwood
02-02-06, 11:41 PM
Repost.. sorry

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-03-06, 12:48 AM
Precisely, and not nearly as commonplace and boring as the last remaining luxury dinosaur, the Town Car. Most of those are beautiful cars too, but a LOT more run of the mill.

True, but the 90's Town Cars never had the presence of the Fleetwoods!

caddycruiser
02-03-06, 12:59 AM
True, but the 90's Town Cars never had the presence of the Fleetwoods!

That's what I meant by that...nice cars, but a lot more "common".

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-03-06, 01:00 AM
Exactly

caddycruiser
02-03-06, 01:01 AM
Repost.. sorry

OMG...does your car ever give me funny feelings:worship:

I forgot...where did you find the chrome SS wheels again? I'm really liking that look, but never, ever see the chromes for sale.

I have to get a front plate like yours too, but I'm going to go with the full chrome plate/chrome emblem version, to better match my Marblehead color.

ocjmakaveli
02-03-06, 01:22 AM
I still to this day WANT TO KNOW WHY AN IMPALA SS IS MORE EXPENSIVE?????????????????????????????????????:ran t2: :mad: :thepan: :alchi: :stirpot: :thumbsup::eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why they have the exact same drivetrain except for a sliiiiightly different gear 2.93 to 3.08 I believe.

The fleetwood has tons of electronics better quality car overall and yet you qualify an impala ss as "sports car" so the price stays up?

Not only are they more expensive I bet the insurance rates are higher because of the "sports car" qualification.

Bunch of crap really, cadillac lets itself get devalued I would like to speak to whomever sets up the blue book values crap.

Doesn't make any sense it's like a bmw costing less than a honda it doesn't add up.

Why is it a simpler car devalues less?..................../END OF RANT

davesdeville
02-03-06, 03:51 AM
It works out well for those who know about the Fleetwood, however...

96Fleetwood
02-03-06, 09:00 AM
OMG...does your car ever give me funny feelings:worship:

I forgot...where did you find the chrome SS wheels again? I'm really liking that look, but never, ever see the chromes for sale.

I have to get a front plate like yours too, but I'm going to go with the full chrome plate/chrome emblem version, to better match my Marblehead color.

Thanks! I found the wheels by calling several shops who referred me to other shops and so on and so on. It was worth it though... despite having to polish them once a week.

Wait till you see the updated pics. It no longer has the hood ornament, and will be sitting 1.25 inches lower and sound much much meaner :cool:

layabout
02-03-06, 01:26 PM
Let me just say that I've had everything from a Nissan 240sx to a 1957 Buick Special to a Volkswagen Jetta and In my experience....

Big cars attract cool chicks.... Sports cars do the opposite!

When you drive one of these beauties, its a statement, when you drive something run-of-the-mill it says just that about your personality.

Now I know some guys are gonna say who cares, this ain't about the ladies, but when your 19 does anything else matter as much!!!

Jon
1975 Coupe Deville - Jennifer Blue
"every day I'd watch those beauties roll by,
& sometimes I'd just hang my head and cry,
'cause I always wanted me one that was long and black..." j.cash

caddycruiser
02-03-06, 02:17 PM
I still to this day WANT TO KNOW WHY AN IMPALA SS IS MORE EXPENSIVE?????????????????????????????????????:ran t2: :mad: :alchi: :stirpot: :thumbsup::eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why they have the exact same drivetrain except for a sliiiiightly different gear 2.93 to 3.08 I believe.

The fleetwood has tons of electronics better quality car overall and yet you qualify an impala ss as "sports car" so the price stays up?

Not only are they more expensive I bet the insurance rates are higher because of the "sports car" qualification.

Bunch of crap really, cadillac lets itself get devalued I would like to speak to whomever sets up the blue book values crap.

Doesn't make any sense it's like a bmw costing less than a honda it doesn't add up.

Why is it a simpler car devalues less?..................../END OF RANT

Me TOO. A Caprice/Impala SS is still a nice car, but NOWHERE near as nice as a Fleetwood that has all the same drivetrain goodies.

I guess the reason for the difference in value is purely because the SS was the most well-known and highly regarded model of the B/D line. Strange enough, a new one stickered at only like $25k, but the values really haven't even dropped all that much in 10 years.

The fact that so few people seem to realize that the much more luxurious Roadmaster and Fleetwood have all the same pieces under the skin is probably a good thing, helping to keep the values down to the level where people "like us" can pick up such nice Caddy's for so cheap. I've even read a few articles on these cars from back when they were new, and even then, they didn't seem to mention how the Fleetwood or Roadie, for example, were so much nicer, but just as powerful and durable.

I'd still like to own an SS some day, maybe as a spare, but in the meantime, I think I'll thoroughly enjoy all the extra room, style, power, and luxurious interior my Caddy offers:cool2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-06, 11:54 AM
Fleetwood> B Bodies

96Fleetwood
02-04-06, 12:26 PM
I agree.

On a similar note, last night I had a run in with a 2003 Marauder... let's just say he and I were neck and neck till 87mph despite his gears and CAI. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-06, 01:13 PM
I thought they didnt have anything off the line due to the DOHC's relative lack of low end power and the auto tranny....

fullserviceman
02-04-06, 09:43 PM
I tell ya if the FWB's were not 10 years or older I would own 1 (not out of the questions yet) the thing that I like best about them is they are LT1 powered not northstar. My 1996 caprice had 250,000 HARD miles on it when I sold it the only thing I replaced major was a tranny at 225,000 which was a broken gear. Im all about long lasting cars and the caprice/fleetwood/roadmaster are it. Sports car power coupled with cheap to fix luxury can't be beat.

caddycruiser
02-04-06, 10:17 PM
I tell ya if the FWB's were not 10 years or older I would own 1 (not out of the questions yet) the thing that I like best about them is they are LT1 powered not northstar. My 1996 caprice had 250,000 HARD miles on it when I sold it the only thing I replaced major was a tranny at 225,000 which was a broken gear. Im all about long lasting cars and the caprice/fleetwood/roadmaster are it. Sports car power coupled with cheap to fix luxury can't be beat.

Well, there's still a LOT of prime examples sitting around for sale, a lot of which have very, very low mileage and are garage queens that still look exactly like they did when new on the lot.

I used to be leary of having an older car too, but these somehow seem to defy the fact that the latest built ones are now 10 years old...they're still THAT nice.

You had a perfect example yourself, 250k hard miles and barely any needed repair--try and find some newer, FWD car that can say that, especially something like an oil burning Northstar Deville;)

fullserviceman
02-05-06, 12:14 AM
My 97 deville was a mistake, Looks nice but on top of oil burning and lack of low end tear off power it burns antifreeze now 120,000 and in the driveway dissolving. Hell 1 of or 1995 gmc work vans with the tbi 350 has 500,000 (orig. engine/tranny) miles on it, has been overheated way too many times and cam back to the shop with NO OIL 3 times The damn thing still goes just like those cars with the 350o/s and the LT1. Im seriuosly considering getting a FWB always like them. How do the pre 1993 models handle?

96Fleetwood
02-05-06, 12:43 AM
I had a 1991 Brougham before my 1996 and it was a warrior. The L05/4L60 combo is also proven to be a tough combo. :thumbsup:

caddycruiser
02-05-06, 01:08 AM
I had a 1991 Brougham before my 1996 and it was a warrior. The L05/4L60 combo is also proven to be a tough combo. :thumbsup:

Just a bit of a sluggish one:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-05-06, 03:02 AM
How do the pre 1993 models handle?

Like a boat. Absolutley no steering feel what so ever. Atleast in the 1990's. But if you can get past the lack of steering feel, they actually stay planted in the curves pretty well all things considered. :)

But you gotta think that the RWD Caddies from this period (especially the 90-92's) were products of a bygone era, when cars were not ment to handle, they were meant to ride!

fullserviceman
02-05-06, 08:19 PM
Yeah trouble is when it comes to handling after you drive something newer especially front wheel drive then go back to an 80's brougham there is 1 hell of a difference I think. The 85 Eldo I had felt like a wind gust would take me off the road. Im now window shopping for a fleetwood you guys got me sold. I like them all except 77-79's.

caddycruiser
02-05-06, 08:57 PM
Yeah trouble is when it comes to handling after you drive something newer especially front wheel drive then go back to an 80's brougham there is 1 hell of a difference I think. The 85 Eldo I had felt like a wind gust would take me off the road. Im now window shopping for a fleetwood you guys got me sold. I like them all except 77-79's.

Yeah, some can be scary when it comes to handling, especially some of the older ones. Though the steering can be a little sloppy on the newer '93-96 ones, as long as there's nothing mechanically worn out under there or bad, they're pretty tight. Our '93 has a bit of play in the wheel that isn't apparent in the '95, which could mean something is wrong with the one, but I'm not sure.

As far as handling in general, I was actually shocked how much I could toss the '93 around the first time I really drove it. Because the steering is a tad loose, I did have to get acclimated with it, but even through some pretty tight corners, it can hold on fairly tightly.

Still won't match the overall tossibility of something like the FWD Deville you mention in stock form, but change up a few simple things like the springs & shocks, or even just the anti-roll bars, and you can REALLY make a difference on these cars and it could even be better than that car.

So, in essence, the newer ones aren't nearly as boaty as the old ones, and can quickly and easily be firmed up even further with all the parts available out there because of the SS. I'd start looking around for one if I were you:thumbsup:

96Fleetwood
02-06-06, 10:24 AM
You will be amazed what a set of Bilsteins, good springs, and Hotchkis F&R sway bars will do to a '93-96 FWB's handling. It is a night/day difference!

caddycruiser
02-06-06, 12:52 PM
You will be amazed what a set of Bilsteins, good springs, and Hotchkis F&R sway bars will do to a '93-96 FWB's handling. It is a night/day difference!

So you have that all done on yours now?

96Fleetwood
02-06-06, 04:15 PM
Not yet, but I had the honor of riding in a Impala SS and Fleetwood on Friday night with the aforementioned setup, and it blew my mind away. So far I have been at the hospital 6 days a week and I get on the forums during my breaks :). I need to find a day off to take the car to the shop and get all these goodies installed.