: About Cadillac- Please Help

baperrill
02-01-06, 02:14 PM
I'm a Senior Marketing Major at Ball State University conducting a research project about diversity and Cadillac. Specifically, I have a chosen target audience of African Americans that I need to gain information from. If anyone could help me please answer a few questions and add anything else that might help me. Thank You

How do you feel about Cadillac?
What perceptions about the brand do you have?
What made you consider or purchase a Cadillac?
What changes would you make to how Cadillac advertises to African Americans?

Thank You for you time, It is much appreciated.

70eldo
02-02-06, 08:36 AM
I find it very interesting that in the US the people are still devided in ethnical groups, also by marketing...
Interesting not in a good way though.

MWA
02-04-06, 11:45 AM
I find it very interesting that in the US the people are still devided in ethnical groups, also by marketing...
Interesting not in a good way though.

Your comment about stereotyping induces racial tones to the issue. The gentleman's questions appear to me not to have done so- until your comment issued forth. I have participated in several marketing studies that applied to my unique characteristics and have not been offended nor have I been offensive while answering marketing studies. What comments about your country that I might make would you find offensive? That is a rhetorical question that needs no answer directly from you.

(BTW, "devided" is spelled with an i after the d)

70eldo
02-08-06, 06:49 AM
Please don't get me wrong. I don't want to make it a racial issue. I am just saying that I find it ...odd... that marketing is focussing on different ethnical groups rather that just 'the public'. In general. So I don't want to pick on baperrill personally at all. So, may I please be curious?
Where is my offensive part in this reply? And where do I feel offended? And why do you feel offended?

Thanks for the spelling correction. pffff
I guess you speak 4 other languages too?

70eldo
02-08-06, 09:16 AM
- How do you feel about Cadillac?
Cadillac gives me sure feeling. It reflects some success and flair, without cockiness like Rolls Royce. I also think it reflects quality and style.

- What perceptions about the brand do you have?
I think Cadillac lost its 'Standard of the World' in the 80's and 90's but is coming back since they introduced their new style and tactics in 2002. Some of the glitter of past time is coming back.

- What made you consider or purchase a Cadillac?
The CTS is a model that suits me perfectly in Europe. The ride and the economy for an engine that size, the unique edgy look and the glory of past time made me go for it.

- What changes would you make to how Cadillac advertises to African Americans?
Now this is the interesting question I commented on before. I am not black, but I have mixed ethnical roots and in the US i was concidered 'brown'. The hack with the political correct BS. In Europe Cadillac doesn't make any commercials at all. Maybe some adds in magazines? Anyway, I would react positive on any Cadillac commercial where they show me how great Cadillac is... :D

CTS4Chiefy
02-08-06, 04:52 PM
70eldo, he probably had to limit who he wanted to ask. You don't ask for everyones opinion if you want to find out just what the rich think. You don't ask the entire world if you want to find out just what people from the Northwest feel. Same goes for race - you don't ask every race, you just ask the specific race. It helps in seeing where the company stands in different areas, difference races, etc.

Good luck on your project baperrill!

70eldo
02-10-06, 05:22 AM
What does race have to do with your feeling about a brand? Your other examples make a lot more sense to me. Anyway baperrill, please let me know what the outcome of your study is, cuz I sure find this interesting. Good luck!

Patrick7997
02-19-06, 05:38 PM
I find it odd that in an attempt to study diversity, you are singling out one group of people. How is that furthering the study of diversity???

If you took a look around this website, I think you would find a tremendous diversity of people, of all ages, men & women, race, national origin, and income level. We have everyone from students to retired people.

Another problem with your question is that the Cadillac product line is so diverse. If you just looked at new CTS buyers, you would get a huge diversity of those owners. And obviously, there are huge product differences between an XLR-V Roadster and a Deville DTS.

Your question seems to me to play to the hackneyed old stereotype of African Americans being the sole group of people who is desirous of the Cadillac and who holds it in high esteem. If you took a look around here, you would find that that is definitely not the case.

Also, I think companies take a horrific risk when they decide to "market" to "one group", whoever that group is. In this, you risk a) offending the target group by appearing condescending to them, and b) offending the rest of your cutomers, who are annoyed that you take them for granted.

Good luck with your research

baperrill
02-22-06, 11:38 AM
Thank You for your responses. To try to answer some of your questions about my study. It is not actually a study about diversity. We are in a contest with hundreds of colleges around the United States that is conducted by Cadillac. The group that I am working with chose the target audience of African Americans. This is not in anyway a racial context. We simply are trying to figure out how this group feels about Cadillac. Our goal is to figure out what perceptions about Cadillac's brand equities they have. How they feel about the features and attributes that Cadillac provides, and what they are seeking from an automobile in the luxury line. If you could give me any insight in this area or any ideas about how you feel about the luxury automobile segment it would be appreciated. Also, if you would like we have a survey posted online that has some more in depth questions. Here is the link if you would like to take it. http://www.surveyz.com/TakeSurvey?id=39605 (https://webmail.bsu.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.surveyz.com/TakeSurvey?id=39605)
It would be great if you could and maybe send it around to your coworkers.
Thanks, if you have any other questions just post them and I will see if I can answer them.