: Traffic Collision In My V Today

lawfive
02-01-06, 11:30 AM
This morning on the way to work on surface streets, came up to an intersection where a road construction crew was working. It was two lanes each way: the number 1 lane was full of cars waiting to turn left at the light; I was in the wide-open number 2 lane cruising at about 40 MPH. This 20-something guy coming the other way in a Ford Taurus turns left, sneaks through the traffic in the number 1 lane, and magically appears right in front of me.

The anti-lock brakes worked, but not well enough. I t-boned him right in the B-pillar, caved in both of his right-side doors, and spun him around clockwise so that his left rear wheel hit the curb on the right side of my lane. We ended up facing each other. His rear axle is pretty badly bent.

Neither one of us were hurt; both of us had on seat belts and neither had any air bags deploy. He was pretty shaken up: turns out he lives with his parents and was driving his dad's car.

The good news: a cop was right there and her report will say that the other driver is at fault. The bad news: he didn't have proof of insurance, but he's "really sure" that Dad has full coverage. We'll see.

My baby is shaken but not stirred. Front bumper cracked, chrome trim on hood dented (but hood appears to still be straight), right headlight will probably have to be replaced. His car, on the other hand, is seriously effed up.

Maybe I should have titled this as a kill story? V-1; Taurus-0.

1badcady
02-01-06, 11:35 AM
$hit happens, the V should be fine. good kill!

Kadonny
02-01-06, 11:46 AM
$hit happens, the V should be fine. good kill!

I disagree, that is a BAD kill. No one wants to go through that, ever.

Hope everything turns out ok Lawfive, glad you are ok.

homer403
02-01-06, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear that.. but I can tell you, the V is a tough baby and can be repair to where it is better then before (I know :nono: ).

10secvette
02-01-06, 11:49 AM
Glad you were not hurt.:thumbsup:

rand49er
02-01-06, 11:51 AM
Geez, glad you're okay. Man, that can happen SO fast. But, you forgot to report about your maggie ... is she okay, too?:confused:

urbanski
02-01-06, 12:25 PM
great "kill" story :)

sorry your baby is hurt though :(

lawfive
02-01-06, 12:28 PM
I popped the hood and everything appears straight, level, well-spaced, and orthogonal (where it needs to be!). Maggie is resting comfortably after her morning scare.

V-SATX
02-01-06, 12:46 PM
Certainly glad your ok law!!! How fast do you think you were at impact. Seems like minimal damage; it seems the Brembo's came through for you!

50 4Ever
02-01-06, 12:52 PM
Glad you're ok. :thumbsup:

lawfive
02-01-06, 12:54 PM
I don't know how fast I was moving when we collided, but you're right: these brakes rock. Very little damage to my car. I don't really understand how I could have rocked that poor guy's car so badly. Energy transfer, point of impact, build materials, relative vehicle weights appeared to be in my favor this time.

Oh, and the inertial dampers and the structural integrity field mods payed off for me, I guess.

atdeneve
02-01-06, 01:00 PM
Yeah, wow! I would have thought your car was going to be mangled in the front after your description of how his car was thrown about. Guess these Vs have some kind of inner chi whereby they can just channel the energy in such a way as to sustain minimal damage while inflicting maximum pain. They really are beasts. Well, it's good that no one got hurt, cuz that would be no fun. Hopefully, your V will be as good as new in no time.

urbanski
02-01-06, 01:08 PM
wait til his insurance company finds out one headlight assembly costs a grand.

obzidian
02-01-06, 01:18 PM
wat? a grand... geez!!!

Sorry to hear that law. I was in a similar accident a few years back in my first car, a 92 eclipse. Same exact situation as yours and didnt get ticketed. Insurance decleared my car total lose and go the funds for my first f-body, a 90 305 tbi camaro..

glad your ok, good luck on geting the SUPER V back on the road...

heavymetals
02-01-06, 01:27 PM
Sorry to hear that!

I would have opened my door and fallen to the pavement clutching my neck!

Your "home free" if the idiot got a citation.

Glad your ok.

KTSwanson
02-01-06, 01:28 PM
Bet he wet his pants when he saw "Lawfive" on the licence plate (and dad is thinking "let's just settle...")

wildwhl
02-01-06, 02:10 PM
Nice kill - and glad to hear you're OK L5.

Make sure the dealer or repair shop checks your V out extra well. Bet you have some damage elsewhere that you haven't noticed yet. Wonder if your rearend will start whining now :stirpot:

WW

CIWS
02-01-06, 02:20 PM
Good you were not hurt and the V too seriously damaged. But I bet their Insurance company shits when they see the bill for the damage on the V. Makes those bastages rent you a comparable vehicle :D

1badcady
02-01-06, 02:29 PM
Need A Good Lawyer?

lawfive
02-01-06, 02:47 PM
Heh, thanks all. I don't think it'll be too bad of a process for me... The cop (nice lady!) called me back and said that he's insured. My agency State Farm says that since the accident report holds the other guy responsible I can get the V repaired right away without dealing with HIS insurance company; State Farm will get the money back from his company after the fact. No impact to my rates.

Note to self: find the bestus, most wonderfulest body shop to fix my V. Preferably one that includes a bottle of Dom Perignon listed as "coolant" on the insurance report.

urbanski
02-01-06, 02:56 PM
well get a good loaner like CIWS said...it's going to be at least 2 weeks man.
For having rammed into things twice with my front, i'm still surprised that I didn't damage anything behind the bumper cover. There's an aluminum bar that's surprisingly strong.
Never bent my hood either. Just make sure they get your paint matched well.

ctsvett
02-01-06, 03:08 PM
Law,
Penske bodyshop did an AMAZING paint job on my bumper when I had my "run in..." Unlike the service department over there, they are very responsive, very nice (talk to ernie- he's hte manager).... They are currently rebuilding mike's pancaked V fromt eh ground up so they have some experience with the V.

Sorry to hear about your accident and I am glad you are OK... Get that thing in the shop and fixed so you can make it to our V gathering in a few weeks...

On a related note, I had a near miss this morning (I mean millimeters).. It shocked my system so bad, that I got a stress migraine (spots in my vision, etc).. and this was from a NEAR MISS! I feel for ya' jerry.

Let me know if you need anything.

Reed

lawfive
02-01-06, 03:28 PM
Hey: what's the diff between a "Moderator" and a "Super Moderator"? Does it take Urby multiple bounds to leap tall buildings? Only approximately as fast as a speeding bullet? Slightly less powerful than a locomotive?

lawfive
02-01-06, 03:29 PM
I jacked my own thread.

lawfive
02-01-06, 03:30 PM
"Heh heh heh... heh heh heh... he said, 'Jacked my own'... heh heh heh"

Dreamin
02-01-06, 03:32 PM
Glad to hear you're ok L :thumbsup:

urbanski
02-01-06, 03:50 PM
Hey: what's the diff between a "Moderator" and a "Super Moderator"? Does it take Urby multiple bounds to leap tall buildings? Only approximately as fast as a speeding bullet? Slightly less powerful than a locomotive?
it means i suck and reed does not :)

arr0gant
02-01-06, 03:53 PM
I was in a similar accident, although I was on a Motorcycle. 3.5 years and 3 surgurys (and a hefty settlement), all is well.

roadracerx72
02-01-06, 04:11 PM
Gald your okay and the kid too. Hope all goes well with the repair.

Maybe you could go after GM for not installing the live Nav Trafc in your car...:stirpot:

heavymetals
02-01-06, 04:12 PM
Ditto what Reed said about PENSKE's body shop.

They are very good and responsive.

lawfive
02-01-06, 04:47 PM
I'm looking at my repair estimate. Major items are as follows:

Replace bumper: $423
Replace upper grille: $312
Replace lower grille: $274
Replace right headlight: $1,315
Replace front molding: $96
Repair hood: 2.0 hours body; 2.6 hours paint
Repair right fender: 3.0 hours body; 2.2 hours paint

Total: $3,954.90

heavymetals
02-01-06, 05:44 PM
Glad your ok.

Give the kids father a heart attack and tell them you want it totaled.

That in lieu of claiming any medical injuries.:histeric:

That kids father is gonna be pissed.

GAGS-V
02-02-06, 12:52 AM
Hey Law, glad you and the other driver are ok! Too bad for your V but good for the ol body that your are not hurt. Amazing that all of that went on and everybody is ok. Like Reed said "get er fixed so you make the next get together". Take some pictures so we can all wince and share your pain (we already do). For those of you that don't know Jerry, he is a pretty cool dude. Stands up for our V's, has some nice mods (has to because of the color):) Where did this happen?

BlackDog!
02-02-06, 01:06 AM
Wow - that's amazing! A Taurus hit me last Wednesday. I was driving down the orad in the left lane and this 19 y/o girl pulls out of a grocery store parking lot and turns left, against traffic, right into me (going the other way). Her headlight fell of and the V's in the shop with $7K worth of damage and 15 days in the hole....

Luckily i didn't MOVE when she hit me - wanted the cop to see exactly what she did. She got the ticket and her insurance is going to go through the roof.

Really don't understand why she would have turned left there - there are TWO big signs saying no left turn and she did it in traffic.....jeez!

I guess Ford's downloading new software into their Taurus fleet....

CIWS
02-02-06, 06:12 AM
That kind of stuff makes you want to install a video system, something like the Police have. That way people that pull in front of you can't say it was your fault. Wonder if it could be done for 3000.00 or less and pretty well kept hidden ?

Dooman
02-02-06, 08:30 AM

You all think he sounds "OK"? I think he sounds pretty shook up..

BadCad
02-02-06, 02:51 PM
that sound nasty to me...

0002S
02-02-06, 03:05 PM
Turned out ok in the end. I hate when this happens though.

Glad nobody was hurt.

Heh, thanks all. I don't think it'll be too bad of a process for me... The cop (nice lady!) called me back and said that he's insured. My agency State Farm says that since the accident report holds the other guy responsible I can get the V repaired right away without dealing with HIS insurance company; State Farm will get the money back from his company after the fact. No impact to my rates.

Note to self: find the bestus, most wonderfulest body shop to fix my V. Preferably one that includes a bottle of Dom Perignon listed as "coolant" on the insurance report.