: Over-spray from paint touch up question!

V-SATX
02-01-06, 10:28 AM
About three weeks ago the dealer damaged my truck lid near the V symbol removing the dealership advertisement at my request. They kept my car for 3 days and re-sprayed the rear deck lid near the V symbol. Yesterday, I decided to do a show detail because the weather was beautiful. To my disbelief I found several spots of over-spray on the bumper and a large area near my sun roof. I tried using clay bar per recommendations on this board to no avail.

Has anyone had experience with this issue? Can they simply buff it out? I thought I would get your responses before getting my options from my dealer. My car is only a few weeks old with 1300 miles.:want:

Thank you in advance!

JOEYCTS-V
02-01-06, 11:11 AM
I just helped a friend remove some overspray on his vette. A clay bar works wonders.

DrivingAmericanNow
02-01-06, 11:19 AM
That type of sloppy repair work is inexcusable, they must be total idiots. But honestly, don't panic, it's ugly, but it's an easy fix.

If it's severe, I'd attack it with a very light wet-sand followed by a buff......... If it's mild, I'd probably go right to a buffing with a mild compound (maybe a swirl remover), followed by a glaze. In cases like this, it's probably best to avoid the temptation to use any powered buffers and do it by hand. It takes longer, but it's less likely to cause issues in the hands of a first timer.

If you aren't comfortable doing it on your own, that's standard fare for any dealership. They should easily be able to do it. Then again, they shouldn't have created the problem in the first place, so maybe not..............

urbanski
02-01-06, 11:22 AM
let me guess Batchelor?
i hope you read my comment in your other thread....they are horrible, plain horrible.
(now if it wasn't them then :hide: ) .
i posted my e-mail in your other thread.

V-SATX
02-01-06, 11:56 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I tried the clay bar and that did not even smooth out the rough feel of the over-spray. I also tried some Meguiar’s Scratch X also with no results. Urb, you hit the nail on the head. I am going to take it back this morning and let the dealership handle the issue. I am not experienced enough to handle this on my own. :mad2:

Urb, can you send me an e-mail to bpcsatx@satx.rr.com? I am short on the 50 posts for the PM.

V-SATX
02-01-06, 01:36 PM
Update,

The dealer used a slightly abrasive polish with an electric buffer to remove the over-spray. It took them roughly twenty minutes and they completed the job to my satisfaction. I more than likely could have done this myself. I just didnít want to risk burning the paint with an electric buffer.

moldowan
02-01-06, 06:07 PM
Urby just called me to tell me we have another V in SA!!!
Congrats!!!!
Hope to see you this saturday at urbys house. I have never seen a redline V in person yet!
-moldy
'05 BLK (corsa,hotchkiss sways,LPE intake,stealth tune)

urbanski
02-01-06, 06:26 PM
yeah....V-SATX, moldy, i e-mailed you guys
11am my house saturday
vroom :)

V-SATX
02-01-06, 07:07 PM
I will be there 11:00 am Saturday.
:bouncy:

V-SATX
02-01-06, 07:33 PM
Moldy,