: Who is from TX.! Just got a job offer in Houston - Want details!

Justin Sane
02-01-06, 07:48 AM
Just qurious who on the forum is from Texas. Looking for feedback on Texas. Ups and downs. Just got a job offer in Houston. May be headed there soon. Any feedback would really mean a lot to me. This is a huge decision for me, and I want to know if it is a wise one or not.
Thanks,
Justin Sane

ILLNALI
02-01-06, 12:47 PM
All you have to do is watch a few episodes of Texas Swat on Court TV. The way they constantly break peoples constitutional rights, should be enough to never frequent TX ever!!!!!:eek:

Synergetic
02-01-06, 12:53 PM
Lived there when I was a young kid. Don't remember much so i'm not much help. Residental homes are very inexpensive there.

Justin Sane
02-01-06, 04:22 PM
I have heard from people that it is pretty bad (scary) in some parts. Looking for some solid feedback.

SpeedyArizona
02-01-06, 05:56 PM
I've never lived in Texas, but I've been there enough that I could help you out. Houston is a metropolis of huge, glass buildings and concrete. You do get some "bang for your buck" there, especially in suburban Houston. Royal Palms is the wealthier neighborhood, and unless you have upwards of $2,500,000, you want to stay away from there.

If you don't mind a commute, look into the gated community of The Woodlands, one of the largest and most sucessful gated communties in the US. I can't tell you every detail of Houston, but this is a general idea. I'd suggest to look on www.realtor.com and search for Houston within your price range. Houston is sometimes looked at as the "Redneck" (not to offend anyone) city of Texas because of the port of Galveston and different blue-collar, high-paying jobs. You will get more home for your money in Houston than you will in Dallas.

Houston is large though, some areas you want to stay away from, others you will fell right at home.

urbanski
02-01-06, 05:59 PM
PM Closer_2001, CRZY747, slow35th, and ssmith100.
They live there, all VERY cool guys....

My experience in san antonio won't help you with houston....3 hours and worlds apart :)

urb

honda4x4nut
02-01-06, 06:01 PM
I live in Galveston Texas about 50 miles south of Houston. It really matters on where you will be moving to. There are some parts of houston that are beautiful and others areas that I will not even drive thought with my gun. And I am not fully sure about Houston, But Galveston is nowhere near cheap housing. I am a realtor on the island and can tell you that prices have more than doubled in the last year and a half. So i would be sure to scope out the surroundings blocks at your perspective new home just to be sure. But anyway welcome to Texas if you decide to make the move.

Justin Sane
02-02-06, 08:10 AM
How about the club scene in Houston??? Anyone aware of any good dance clubs?

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback by the way!:thumbsup:

EcSTSatic
02-02-06, 12:57 PM
I have heard from people that it is pretty bad (scary) in some parts. Looking for some solid feedback.

Just like any other big city. TX has several cities in the top 10. I come from San Antonio.
Houston has a lot of humidity so get that A/C in peek condition. I'm not real crazy about the Texas gulf, especially after vacationing on Florida's Emerald Gulf Coast.
I'd expect the night life to be as good as any other metropolis - just more pickup trucks!

tru504187211
02-03-06, 01:03 AM
Better get some swangz for the beemer! Good luck with the job!