: Strange Electrical Problem

David W. Bailey
02-01-06, 07:26 AM
Once again, I turn to this board for expert information that ensures a smooth transaction with the Cadillac service advisor!

MY 04 CTS V will sometimes lose enough battery power not to start after a
short drive, it takes very little to jump start it, then after you drive for a while, it is fine. Something causes a slight discharge that is just enough to keep it from starting sometimes, but not enough to require major jumpstart cranking and charging.

I know, you probably think that I sit there with the stereo and nav system on, with the engine switched off, but I don't....really. I have also noticed that when the panel lights are at their lowest setting, they sometimes flicker faintly and sometimes the climate control screen will flash brightly for a moment. I have no clue if these are related to the occasional no-start issue.
Thanks in advance........

ronr
02-01-06, 08:07 AM
There was a problem with some of the early '04's where the battery was draining due to something with the dimmer switch in the console up on the headliner. The simple fix was to slide the switch off of full bright (a little forward I think) until you could get it in to be replaced. I looked on the cadillacfaq site but couldn't find it (it may be there, I didn't burn a lot of time looking).

Not sure if this is what's going on with yours but give it a try.

Lindsay Cadillac
02-01-06, 08:21 AM
There are two bulletins about draw specifically. One regarding the interior/dash light dimmer switch http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pi01828.pdf and one about hte tire pressure monitoring system http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-06-03-015a.pdf

I doubt that either one of those are your problem. If you had either one of those concerns it would take a while for the battery to drain.

You could just have a bad battery or an intermittant condition that's putting a high load on your battery with the key off. First thing to do would be test the battery and make sure it's good.

ssmith100
02-01-06, 08:39 AM
I have the climate control flicker but not the other problem. It sometimes goes a couple of weeks without doing it and then it might flicker four or five times a day.

Shane

lawfive
02-01-06, 11:36 AM
Barak had a similar problem and took it to a dealer. The battery initially tested good, but later when the battery was replaced the problem went away. I don't know whether there were any lessons learned with respect to how to better test the battery, but you might want to PM Barak to find out.

In general, I think our stock batteries are weak. It's on my list to replace mine with an Optima.

calicadi
02-01-06, 09:46 PM
There was a rash of bad Delco batteries in '04. I had one. Never had the flicker condition mentioned, just dead if it sat for more than a couple of days. Dealer need to keep the car for three days to verify condition and send draw down results day-by-day to Detroit to ensure replacment under warranty. Replaced with a new Delco and zero problems since.

David W. Bailey
02-01-06, 10:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful information! Everytime that I gripe
about the V, I think of my friend with a brand new E 55, with a major coolant
leak, and the part on back order. He paid $92K for that one.......

Thanks again for all of the info.

Shark
02-02-06, 12:42 AM
I had a problem with the battery going dead after parking for 10-12 mins with the radio on. Also would go dead after 3 days of sitting in the garage. Took it to the dealer and they could not identify it even though I insisted it was a bad battery. They fianally replaced it and guess what? It happened again and it turned out to be another bad battery. The dealer claims they have been getting batches of bad ones, but the first unit was factory.
I said "look pal, do you realize how bad it looks for a guy to be using jumper cables on a new cady?" he did not laugh.