: how much does the V pollute?

ctsvett
02-01-06, 01:35 AM
Found this info (I know, i need a life).... This is based on the LS2...

Fuel type: Premium
MPG (city): 16
MPG (highway): 25
MPG combined; 19
Calculated annual fuel cost*: 1860
Annual CO2 emissionsin metric tons, based on 15,000 miles driven: 7
CO2 emissions in metric tons**based on 789 gallons of fuel consumed: 6.99
Gas guzzler***?: No

* The U.S. EPA estimates annual fuel costs for purposes of comparison, but your real-world costs are likely to differ.
** A metric ton is 1,000 kilograms, or 2,200 pounds
*** The gas guzzler tax applies to cars (not trucks) with low fuel economy.

Just in case anyone cared...

Reed

DrivingAmericanNow
02-01-06, 05:36 AM
The greens are going to have to whine, cry and save the envronment without me........... I can't live without the power. Let the polluting begin! :devil:

Maybe what they should do is figure out how to make a V run 4 seconds to 60 and low 11's in the quarter on solar power, then they'd have a chance of getting me. :D

CIWS
02-01-06, 07:16 AM
" Calculated annual fuel cost*: 1860 "

They must have done this study when gas was 1.89 for premium. Either that or those biotches need to drive their car more ;)

Thanks for the trivia / info Reed.

daytripper
02-01-06, 01:58 PM
" Calculated annual fuel cost*: 1860 "

They must have done this study when gas was 1.89 for premium. Either that or those biotches need to drive their car more ;)

EPA based its 2006 estimates on the assumption that you travel 15,000 miles per year (55% under city driving conditions and 45% under highway conditions) and that fuel costs $2.20/gallon for regular unleaded gasoline and $2.40/gallon for premium.

As you've probably heard, EPA is revising its fuel economy methodology to account for more "real world" driving conditions. They'll use more aggressive accelleration rates, higher top highway speeds, more stop start driving, increased use of air conditioning and other accesories, etc. Window sticker fuel economy for virtually all cars is expected to decrease (most notably for hybrids). Range is expected to be on the order of 5-35% decrease.

Here's a link to EPA's proposed rule change:
http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/

There's a page on the www.fueleconomy.gov (http://www.fueleconomy.gov) page where you can upload your actual fuel economy for your car, to compare your mileage to others. Only one CTS-V milage listed there though. Maybe some of you leadfoots should post there to drag it down...

Brian R.

CIWS
02-01-06, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the info daytripper :)

crowan
02-01-06, 03:33 PM
I'll take more power and a gasmask!:want:

CR

lawfive
02-01-06, 04:08 PM
My V's pollution = zero. Its shit don't stink, mon.

Kadonny
02-01-06, 04:26 PM
My V's pollution = zero. Its shit don't stink, mon.

Especially now since you can't drive it anyway.

Zing! :stirpot:

(sorry, could not refuse)

Barak
02-01-06, 05:04 PM
The V doesn't pollute very much at all, unless you are a tree huggin' hippie who thinks that CO2 is a pollutant.

ctsvett
02-01-06, 07:13 PM
... Or you live in the Inland empire..

Sorry john... I had to go there...

Reed

Ziplicon Tuesday
02-01-06, 07:26 PM
What matters isn't how much polution per mile, it's how much total polution is the average V driver responsible for. I'll bet the average V owner drives their V far less miles than the average vehicle is driven. People often ignore the fact that one of the ways to reduce polution is to drive less.

CVP33
02-01-06, 07:32 PM
You guys are totally off base here. I've actually qualified for superfund status with the oil slicks I've left all over the greater tidewater area from failed rear differentials. 3 gallons of synthetic gear lube have been puked in various parts of our great city as well as small amounts of radiator fluid. :highfive:

BeagleBrains
02-01-06, 10:19 PM
Found this info (I know, i need a life).... This is based on the LS2...

real-world costs are likely to differ.
** A metric ton is 1,000 kilograms, or 2,200 pounds
*** The gas guzzler tax applies to cars (not trucks) with low fuel economy.

... anyone care...

Reed
No. Do you think this is the worsed car, ever? :helpless:

crowan
02-01-06, 10:48 PM

Huh? :hmm:

ctsvett
02-01-06, 11:03 PM

Nope.. I dont at all... I know tons of cars are worse...

I just thought everyone might like to know. I have a habit of searching EVERTHING for information on "our" car and was just bringing it up for everyone to know.

Frankly, If I cared that much about it, I would have bought a hybrid.

My question: why are you so sensative about it?

Reed

azombie
02-02-06, 12:43 AM
if i cared about trees i wouldn't have worked at a christmas tree farm i've chopped down hundreds of those things

BeagleBrains
02-03-06, 06:11 PM
I guess I do similar things, looking up "stuff" with no noble cause in mind. It seemed to be an attempt at making a social responsibility statement.

CIWS
02-03-06, 06:17 PM
if i cared about trees i wouldn't have worked at a christmas tree farm i've chopped down hundreds of those things

Or it could just be a great reason to plant a few more trees to help filter the enviroment ;)

04CTSVforMe
02-05-06, 02:23 AM
I will defer to one of my favorite George Carlin-isms

"What makes people think that we're so good that we can ruin the Earth?"

Ok, I can't find my paraphrase key, so cut me some slack on the quotation marks. :alchi:

Honestly, if I cared about the pollution coming out of my car, I would not have a 400bhp CTS-V!! :highfive:

I see SO many old hoopties driving around spitting out ungodly amounts of pollution that I truly believe that if we had any desire to limit our output of pollution from our cars, we should subsidize the purchase of a "new" (meaning 2005 model or newer Scion or Hyundai) car for everyone driving a car and decommission the old cars. :alchi:<--- again because I am not sure if I even care to proof read that paragraph!!! lol @ myself

CIWS
02-05-06, 08:31 AM
Man no shat, need to get those smoke pouring old wrecks off the road first. Law enforcement should be able to pull those puppies over and have them ticketed for a failed emission.

02-05-06, 11:02 AM
Good thing that the emissions testing does not yet include brake dust and F1 rubber particles.....

2004ctsv
02-05-06, 11:21 AM
If you're a tree hugger, then the extra CO2 is great - the trees grow faster and bigger. And global warming? Great if you live where I do - no snow in January

I agree w/ GW that we are addicted to oil. But as we saw when the price of gasoline went up (and oil company profits), the consumption of gasoline went down.

So, let's use the oil up doing what we enjoy and go on to the next energy source.

BTW, the local nuke power company is planning two plants for China. What does that tell you?

T

Ziplicon Tuesday
02-05-06, 05:34 PM
That's a great take on it 2004ctsv - use it up and move on to the next source - it may sound cocky but that's the only thing that'll create sufficient market forces to drive a change - Us V owners are simply accelerating the discovery of the next fuel source and we look DAMN good while we're doing it.

Yeah, nuke plants in China - now there's a catastrophy waiting to happen....