: Hello, my name is Pete, and I'm addicted to OIL!!!

Elvis
01-31-06, 07:00 PM
In tonight's "State of the Union" address, the president will issue the accusation that we, as a nation, are ADDICTED to oil.

First off, let me state that this is NOT intended to become a political thread. There's no need for that, and we all acknowledge that we have a problem. How we got there and how we get out of it might lead to an interesting debate. Take this thread wherever you want it to go, but nobody needs to get nasty.

It's not the fault of Bob Lutz, if anything, it's Harley Earl's fault! Big, stylish cars are just so DAMN SEXY! We can afford them, we don't care how much fuel they consume, and we're willing to pay as much of our disposable income as possible to "ride with pride."

Bush will suggest that the solution to the problem is technology. But so far all that technology has offered us are the Prius and the Odyssey. They just don't satisfy the urge, if you get what I'm talking about.

Alternative fuels aren't really the answer either, although we could probably grow enough corn to make a huge dent in our OPEC consumption. But that would mean letting farmers actually GROW something on all that land we're paying them NOT to plant.

I don't know the answers, but one of our problems that we all should agree on is this: as an American automotive consumer, we want--NO, we DEMAND--that our vehicle provide us with something more than just delivery from point A to point B.

We get emotional. We buy the sizzle, not the steak. And as the richest nation and economy in the history of the world, why shouldn't we? We've earned it, haven't we?

What do YOU want? What would it take for you to leave your Caddy behind in favor of something more environmentally friendly?

I'm not talking about $4.00 a gallon gas--that's being FORCED out. This is you, as a consumer, making a conscious choice of preference. Is it power? Is it size? Is it style? All of the above?

It damn sure ain't reliability and economy.

What do you expect out of these new vehicles? Should we have to sacrifice anything?

Krashed989
01-31-06, 07:21 PM
No we shouldn't have to sacrifice anything. Believe it or not, electric cars CAN have equal or more power than almost any combustion powered car in the world. I guess the only thing you would really sacrifice is the roar of that engine. I hate electric cars simply because they look ugly. If they were built with more style then I would jump to buy one.

IMO fuel should only be burnt in powerplants and airplanes. Also more energy efficient power plants should be built, like solar, water, and wind. Granted, I know air power requires a lot of maintenance and is staring at the brink of being impractical because of that, but why not add a small amount of wind turbines somewhere near an existing plant. There's nothing that says a powerplant has to rely exclusively on one source for producing energy. Bolting down some solar panels to the roof would help also. It would not only raise the output capabilities of the plant but also reduce fuel consumption when not running at full load.

I see electricity as a hefty part of the future, but the ways it's being produced are by no means perfect. There's a lot of room for improvement.

c5 rv
01-31-06, 07:27 PM
My name is Greg, and I'm addicted to cars that are addicted to oil. I own a CTS that gets about 24 MPG. That's not too bad. My Denali pickup gets about 14.5 MPG. I bought a C3 vette this fall, but haven't been able to drive it enough to check the mileage. It will probably be in the mid-teens. I sold my fuel-sipping C5 Corvette that averaged 25 MPG. It was too green for me.

CIWS
01-31-06, 09:55 PM
It's high octane gasoline me and my car are addicted to. I only use about 6-7 quarts of oil every 4 months, but I use 20 Gallons of gas a week :bonkers:

;)

gary88
01-31-06, 11:52 PM
Enjoy gasoline while it's still around.

Once electric/hybrid cars really start to take over, of course performance will be sacraficed, but we don't need to abandon luxury! I like what lexus did with the RX400h. Same body and interior as the RX330, but it's a hybrid. Now if manufacturers could just do that to thier current cars without having to design ugly new hybrid cars, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

gothicaleigh
02-01-06, 12:30 AM
My needs for a fun car that is great on gas were met way back in 1985 with my 325E.
That is all.

davesdeville
02-01-06, 01:53 AM
My 75 is an oilaholic. But this spring/summer it will kick the habit and start using inhalants (propane.)

Krashed989
02-01-06, 02:09 AM
Performance will not be sacrificed as much as you guys think. I have personally seen an electric car (was a van actually) do a 9 second run on the quarter mile. The first couple tries it did snap the drive chains though.

Although, I don't know how long it would last on a highway...