: C&D test GC SRT-8 vs TB SS

Blackout
01-31-06, 05:10 PM
Well the test is complete, the results are in, & what in the heck in C&D thinking, sheesh. After receiving 12 more points for: Towing Capacity, Cargo Space, Features/Amenities, & "Gotta-have-it-factor, the TBSS wins by 2 points. Oh, they tested a no option SRT-8 & a loaded TBSS which explains the feature difference between the two.

The Performance Numbers:
SRT-8 0-60 in 4.5 SS in 5.5
SRT-8 0-100 in 12.0 SS in 14.6
SRT-8 0-130 in 24 SS in 29
SRT-8 1/4 mile in 13.2@104 SS 14.1@98
SRT-8 5-60 Rolling Start 4.9 SS 5.9
SRT-8 pulls .88 G SS .81 G
SRT-8 Top Speed 155 SS 130
The SRT-8 was awarded a huge 2, count 'em, I said TWO more points than the SS in the performance category. Crazy ain't it, LOL.

In an article entitled "Speed-Crazy Sport-Utes" performance should be the emphasis. But not today my friends, it's Cargo Space & Towing Capacity. I want to know who actually gets paid to show us this crap!?

gothicaleigh
01-31-06, 05:24 PM
If you're primarily looking for performance, chances are you aren't looking at sport-utes.
These are for the people who primarily need the Cargo Space and Towing capacity, but don't want to sacrifice the performance when they feel like having fun.

Blackout
01-31-06, 05:29 PM
If you're primarily looking for performance, chances are you aren't looking at sport-utes.
These are for the people who primarily need the Cargo Space and Towing capacity, but don't want to sacrifice the performance when they feel like having fun.People don't buy the high performance versions of an SUV for cargo room. If you wanted cargo room then get the base model if you want performance then in the GC's case get the V8 model. If you want performance and just so happen to have the cargo room then get the SRT-8 or SS.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-31-06, 07:16 PM
I'm sorry but you were rooting for the Jeep right Blackout?

Rolex
01-31-06, 07:26 PM
I read the article this month. They gave the SS first place because of its utility. The JGC will definately emerge as THE performance SUV. Jeep claimed a 0-60 in 4.9 sec and C&D clocked the thing at 4.5. That's vette speed in an SUV. :lildevil:

As long as you don't need to tow or carry anything over 500 lbs the JGC will be the performance SUV to choose.

Blackout
01-31-06, 10:18 PM
I'm sorry but you were rooting for the Jeep right Blackout?In my mind both vehicles are great since they are the only one's out there. So there has to be a winner and a loser. But when a article is called, "Speed crazy utes" The emphasis should be on speed, performance, handling, and quickness. Not which has the gizmo's and gadgets *Which that shouldn't have happened since they compared a loaded model to a base model*. I mean come on! The SRT-8 smoked the SS in every performance catagory but yet it only got 2 more points but yet the SS gets bonus points for the useless "gotta have it" catagory. Car & Driver did a shit job with this comparison.

illumina
02-01-06, 03:25 AM
*gasp* I have to agree with Blackout on this one *gasp*

If you buy anything that has the badge of the following:

V, AMG, M, SS, SRT/X, R/T, SVT...

Then you're buying the shit to go fast! Not tote the family around with creature comforts...

Blackout
02-01-06, 06:34 AM
*gasp* I have to agree with Blackout on this one *gasp*OMG! Whats the world coming too!?:p

Jesda
02-01-06, 06:50 AM
I guess if you want to carry people and go to the campsite (or realistically, the movie theater) really fast, the Jeep is the way to go. If you own a boat or horses, the Trailblazer wins.

Personally, I'd just get a sedan.

DarkKnight
02-01-06, 02:13 PM
This link is of a race between a modded TB SS and a stock SS, the modded SS wins of course. The last race is the SRT Jeep beating the modded SS pretty bad. Read through the thread and you will read some of the owners chime in about the race. The guy that owns the Silverado SS (also races in the video) talks about his modds and his opinion of the SRT. Here is what he said in post #25:
"The silverado SS is mine, it's got a small cam, heads worked a little bit, converter, and tuned by kirk.... my truck is FAST ran low, low, 13's with high 1.6, low 1.7 60 fts. and that cherokee left side by side with me, we raced 4 times, whoever took the leave won, i could not believe it either..... And the black tbss was the fastest, one of the silver ones had kirk's tune as well, but the black one was still a great deal faster..... bottom line cherokee srt-8 is like 13.1-13.3, and Tbss stock is 13.9, w/tune and minor mods 13.4-13.5"

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445045Here

illumina
02-02-06, 12:58 AM
OMG! Whats the world coming too!?:p

I know I know, I've already forseen the end of the world, but I don't think this has anything to do with it.

Anyways, magazines normally place things close in points, but the general deal is that of the two, one scored less than the other, therefore, one loses the race so to speak. But I agree with the point that you're trying make too. Give them both equal slices (options) and there's a real test...

By the way, what were the weight differences? What are the gear ratios for the vehicles?

gothicaleigh
02-02-06, 11:01 AM
To get something with the aerodynamics of a brick hurtling down the road at those speeds, you also have to question the gas mileage... I would wager that fuel consumption probably surpasses that of many third world nations.

Sandy
02-02-06, 02:03 PM
I had been thinking (as some of you picked up on) buying one of those two. I am much more partial to the SS. But the reason is personal, and that's style. There are several things I do not like on the JGC:-
1.) The front. Particulary that big gapping "hole" under the bumper, that is plugged with home radiator encosure screening. It's Ugly/
2.) The back. The back of the uinit is just UNappealing.
3.) The side with all that "Pontiac-Style of yesterday" stuck on plastic ribbing attached to those plasticky wheel house archs. Overall the exterior is tacky/
When compared to
the smoooth de-chromed & de-molded look of the SS with only a small chrome " SS " on the entire vehicle. If the JGC is a little faster, that's okay with me, I like the SS style better, as well the add'l. creature comforts.

I would be buying it for the 4 wheel drive feature as well as the slightly additional cargo space over my Town Car.

Katshot
02-02-06, 02:08 PM
I thought I remember reading that the Jeep has more "creature comforts" than the Chevy. Maybe not the two in this particular match-up but.....:hmm:

Also, I thought the Jeep was larger inside than the Chevy. I'll have to go check the specs I guess. Anyway, I intend to be driving one of the Jeeps this weekend so I'll be posting my thoughts afterwards.

Katshot
02-02-06, 02:34 PM
Okay, I checked both OEM websites and as it turns out, the Trailblazer and Grand Cherokee have virtually identical cargo capacity. The Chevy has 70.0cu/ft while the Jeep has 70.8cu/ft.
Bottom line, I don't see how one would get the nod over the other for cargo space.

gothicaleigh
02-02-06, 02:38 PM
Could be the layout and use of that space.

Sandy
02-02-06, 03:06 PM
Their Jeep was stripped. In all fairness the Jeep has an equal level of luxury to the SS. I believe that there are little to no aftermarket "go faster parts over the MOPAR counter FOR the JEEP. There are alot for the SS, since it uses the Corvette engine. Also, the SS features Ram Air induction.

DarkKnight
02-02-06, 05:00 PM
Their Jeep was stripped. In all fairness the Jeep has an equal level of luxury to the SS. I believe that there are little to no aftermarket "go faster parts over the MOPAR counter FOR the JEEP. There are alot for the SS, since it uses the Corvette engine. Also, the SS features Ram Air induction.

I would agree with you for the most part but I found out that SRT owners have been modding with no problem as long as they go to the link below; lots of happy SRT owners that have bought from GSM have surpassed most of us with modded CTS-Vs:
http://www.gsmotorsports.com/ (http://www.gsmotorsports.com/)

You are correct that was a base model SRT.
Here are my thoughts on the styling. I looked at both and the TB SS interior has no style at all, it's just plain ugly. Their placement of the little extras, such as the switch for the power pedals, seems like an after thought and doesn't have the "designed from the factory" feel. The seats are flatter, the sifter is not sporty at all and the dash design looks like they melted it to get that weird curvy blob look. I want the interior to have style and function because that is where you spend all of your time, inside. Let's not forget to mention that the five-speed auto in the SRT is fantastic and has autostick, the TBSS has a four speed with a sloppy torque converter.
Also, who is the great thinker at GM that thought a single exit exhaust on an SS vehicle was OK? If really wanted a single exhaust they should of went with side exit like the Silverado SS. They gave the Malibu SS a dual exhaust for god's sake!

I was also considering one or the other but I am leaning toward the SRT.

DarkKnight
02-02-06, 05:03 PM
Also Mopar Performance will be releasing a SRT specific line of aftermarket performance catalog very soon. Lord knows they have created a market for themselves.

Blackout
02-03-06, 07:32 AM
The SRT-8 just came out so i have no idea as to why everybody is playing it down because there isn't any aftermarket for it. Interior styling wise the Jeep gets a big nod over the SS. The SS just seemed like any old Chevy product, plasticy and black. And I would also like to know as to why the rpm gauge has a white back ground but every other gauge on the dash has a black background:hmm: But the interior of the SRT-8 has a more upscale feel and look to it. And also for the SRT-8 the center mounted exhaust is hot!

AznPrydeRegalRyde
02-03-06, 06:08 PM
And also for the SRT-8 the center mounted exhaust is hot!I mentioned this on here months ago, when the concept first came out. Where is the tralier hitch going, if the exhuast is in the center?

DarkKnight
02-03-06, 06:24 PM
I mentioned this on here months ago, when the concept first came out. Where is the tralier hitch going, if the exhuast is in the center?

I don't think many will use it to tow but incase they want to Mopar has a hitch they sell specifically for the SRT8. The hitch would be just under the Exhaust tips and protrude a bit past them. I am sure it may look goofy when being used but as I mentioned before I doubt many would. Heck I have a 04 Navigator (2X4) that has a tow package and have never used it once.

Blackout
02-03-06, 06:48 PM
I mentioned this on here months ago, when the concept first came out. Where is the tralier hitch going, if the exhuast is in the center?Thats probably why the thing has next to no towing capacity.

Katshot
02-03-06, 06:57 PM
Is that any different than any other "sport-truck"? Remember the Typhoon and Syclone? They had next to no towing or hauling capacity. So what, people that bought them weren't looking for a "work-truck".