: Tire Monitoring System Question

atdeneve
01-31-06, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if you can use more than one set of tire pressure sensors (i.e., 8 sensors or more) for one car, for instance, when you have more than one set of wheels? Hopefully you just have to reset the sensors every time you switch the set of wheels (with the sensors that are not being used outside the read range). Anyone know? Don't wanna buy a set of sensors if I'm not gonna even be able to use em. Thanks.

2005eric
01-31-06, 04:04 PM
I bought an extra stock wheel for a spare that had a sensor from another car. I rotated the tires and reprogrammed the sensors and the car recognized the new sensor just fine. The new sensors should work just fine when you reset them for the new tire position.

StealthV
01-31-06, 06:52 PM
With four and a half sets of wheels for the V in the garage, repogramming TPS isn't an issue unless I'm running a set of wheels with no TPS in them and the system still picks up the "old" set when pulling in the garage.

Reset the procedure... http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tprepro.html

Jschmank
01-31-06, 09:24 PM
agree. I have a set of snow tires and bought new sensors ($45 each) and you mount them, and just follow the manual instructions. One thing I did note is that a few of the sites on line had incorrect instructions. Use your manual to be sure

Dennisscars
01-31-06, 09:38 PM
I drive to the track with the F1's and when I get to the track I mount my race set and reprogram and they work fine and then put the F1's back on to drive home.

tedcmiller
02-01-06, 11:28 AM
This question brings to mind a couple of interesting considerations. While this question involves multiple TPMs for use on the same vehicle, I have a situation with multiple TPMs on different vehicles (a CTS-V and a DTS) in close physical proximity when programming the receivers after a rotation. I have never had a problem with either car picking up signals from the other car, either under normal day-to-day operation or while programming the TPM receiver. Because the TPMs transmit periodically even when the wheels are not moving, the question is what happens if a TPM receiver is in programming mode and gets a signal from the TPM that is being forced to transmit for programming purposes closely followed by a signal from a nearby TPM on another vehicle? Since I have never had any problems with "mixed-up" programming with either vehicle, I don't know if this simply a matter of good luck, or if the system is somehow able to distinguish the signal from the other vehicle from the one being programmed. I assume that the CTS-V and DTS might use different P/N TPMs that would make such a distinction possible, but I don't know this for a fact.

atdeneve
02-01-06, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys for the response. So, I guess I can go ahead and get those extra sensors. Anyone lookin to get rid of/sell any sensors?

And, um, four and a half sets. I take it you really like to be prepared. Is it like one set for the summer, one for the winter, one for rainy season, and one for the track. Hmm, I like it.

Jschmank, the manual was the first place I looked, however, I couldn't fiind any instructions on the reset procedure. So I just searched through the cadillacfaq site to arrive at the page that StealthV has provided a link for (thanks). Where do you find such information in the manual?

StealthV
02-01-06, 12:50 PM
And, um, four and a half sets. I take it you really like to be prepared. Is it like one set for the summer, one for the winter, one for rainy season, and one for the track. Hmm, I like it.

Exactly - the remaining half set are the two spares for the trunk. :)

atdeneve
02-01-06, 01:41 PM
You don't actually carry around two spares though, right? Just checkin. Hyuk, hyuk.

benh
02-01-06, 01:59 PM
StealthV, any issues with the spares in the trunk having a tps?

StealthV
02-01-06, 03:22 PM
Nope.

Jschmank
02-01-06, 08:17 PM
Look on page 5-66 of the 2005 CTS-V manual for the instructions. Follow them explicitely.

VELOSE
02-01-06, 08:25 PM
Can we run wheels without sensors? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have my stocks sitting with no sensors and I'm planning to mount Falken RT-615's for track days. Could I get away without having sensors on them?

atdeneve
02-02-06, 08:18 AM
I don't think it poses a problem, except that, when the sensors aren't transmitting any signal, I believe the car won't let you enter into competitive driving mode (not sure if it lets you turn off traction control). If you drive around for an hour or so, the system is turned off and, at that point, you can resume the use of your competitive driving mode. So, I guess you would want to mount the Falkens and do that driving around bit before you arrive at the track, so that it doesn't ruin your track day (with the Traction Control and Stability System Nannies on full alert and all).
At least, this is what I recall (think I actually read it somewhere on this forum). If someone knows otherwize, feel free to chime in and eduacate my azz. Lord knows I need it.

VELOSE
02-02-06, 11:49 AM
:yeah:

Thanks for chiming in atdeneve. Can anyone else confirm atdeneve's information or, edumacate us some more?

StealthV
02-02-06, 02:22 PM
A. For a set of wheels without pressure sensors, the system will allow the traction control to be turned off but will not enter Competitive or full StabiliTrak off mode. During this time, the tire pressure warning light will also be illuminated on the dash.

B. Driving wheels without sensors for 40 to 50 miles will "clear" the system and allow full Comp/ST-off mode.

If one is currently in operation mode B and comes home to the wheels with TPS in the garage, as soon as the V detects the radio signal (which it will), the A issues apply once again even if B was done previously.

VELOSE
02-02-06, 02:30 PM
Stealth V is my Hero.

scottimartini
02-02-06, 02:44 PM
Can I reset my own TPS or does the dealer have to do it? After the dealer rotated the tires, they do not read correctly.
Thanks

StealthV
02-02-06, 05:19 PM
It's an under 5 minute easy procedure to reset -> http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tprepro.html

The biggest challenge is one needs to either let air out of the tires, necessitating them to be "topped off" when done reprogramming, or one needs to add air to the tires during the process. The pressure change from either adding or releasing air is how the system synchronizes to the individual tire positions.

scottimartini
02-03-06, 10:08 AM
Thanks. I'll take care of it this weekend.