: How Do You Know It's Certified?

El Dobro
01-31-06, 01:05 PM
How do you know if a used Caddy you're looking at is certified other than the salesman telling you it is?

Dadillac
01-31-06, 07:16 PM
There should be paperwork with the car, showing (yeah right) the checks that were performed on the car. Besides, it would be foolish for the dealership to state that a car is certified, when it wasn't done. If they do not perform the certification, they still need to give you the warranty involved. I would be certain that as long as you see the checklist for the car, that it went through the process.

Don

Dadillac
01-31-06, 07:18 PM
El Dobro, you looking for a new ride? You lookin' at McGuire? They are a class act over there. I didn't buy my car there, but everytime I go in, the salesman who lost my deal, still greats me with a handshake, and a smile. I like that. My next car, as long as the deal can be solidified, will be from them.

Don

Ranger
02-01-06, 02:32 PM
To an extent, I agree with Dadillac. They are not likely to lie about it as you should get documentation at the sale that the warranty is extended to 6yrs/100K. How ever I would not expect or believe that the check list was accomplished. Maybe it's my sceptical nature but I suspect most of that stuff is pencil whipped. Mine is certified. Bought it in Oct. with 13K on it. Before I took delivery I found the infamous trunk leak. Certainly they should have known to check for it. Should have checked before leaving but I trusted them and when I got home (450 mile trip) I found the tires to be 25 lbs., give or take a pound or two. Passenger side seat heater inop. Rear rotors resurfaced last week and it seems the fronts still need it. Now all these things are just an annoyance since it is warrantied but, an annoyance that being "certified" I should not have to put up with. So much for 120 point inspection.

El Dobro
02-01-06, 04:22 PM
I think even if a certified car has the paperwork, I would check it out myself. When I bought my '98, nothing was done to it before it was placed on the front line at the Caddy dealer. I showed the salesman the dirty filters I yanked out of the car when I got it home. Great prep.

Hey Don,
I've been dealing with McGuire when they used to be Polkowicz Motors. I've had my moments with them. I remember the Service Manager that told me they only work on Cadillacs that were purchased there. When I called back and asked the General Manager if that's their policy, the fur really flew.

Dadillac
02-01-06, 05:41 PM
I think even if a certified car has the paperwork, I would check it out myself. When I bought my '98, nothing was done to it before it was placed on the front line at the Caddy dealer. I showed the salesman the dirty filters I yanked out of the car when I got it home. Great prep.

Hey Don,
I've been dealing with McGuire when they used to be Polkowicz Motors. I've had my moments with them. I remember the Service Manager that told me they only work on Cadillacs that were purchased there. When I called back and asked the General Manager if that's their policy, the fur really flew.
My dealings with them so far have been positive. I went there last November looking at a '99 STS. They had it for about $16,000 (if I remember right). We couldn't come to an agreement on my trade, so I left. Since then, I have been to thier parts department several times, and thier service dept (only to ask info, and for a schematic), and they have been more than helpful. I have dealt with lots of dealers in my time, and so far, they seem to have the best customer service. Although that only goes so far with me (price is the bottom line), I really appreciate being treated like a real customer. Now, I want to say, that by looking at me, I am by no means the average Cadillac buyer. I am 39, rather rough looking, and always wear Levi's and a black pocket t-shirt. So I do not look like an executive, that would command alot of respect. But, over there, I get it. And I like it.

Don