: Looking for help with Codes

johwhite
01-31-06, 11:02 AM
I am a newby trying to figure out what ails my 2000 DeVille. Following the excellent advise on this site, I checked the codes and came up with the following: IPM B0428 - Air mix door # 3 inoperative error and IPM B0429 - Temperature control # 3 rear circuit range/performance. It appears to me that these are related to the rear seat heat/air conditioning; however, the car has been stalling at traffic lights and the CES light has come on and gone off several times in the past month. I did find some other codes in history: B1004 Electonic frontal sensor circuit, which I assume is also related to HVAC and P0385 Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor B circuit, which I assume is most related to the CES light and stalling problem. It does not seem that simply changing the CPS will do much good if there is a problem in the circuit. Am I wrong? Anyone have any ideas?:helpless:

mcowden
01-31-06, 12:27 PM
I am a newby trying to figure out what ails my 2000 DeVille. Following the excellent advise on this site, I checked the codes and came up with the following: IPM B0428 - Air mix door # 3 inoperative error and IPM B0429 - Temperature control # 3 rear circuit range/performance. It appears to me that these are related to the rear seat heat/air conditioning; however, the car has been stalling at traffic lights and the CES light has come on and gone off several times in the past month. I did find some other codes in history: B1004 Electonic frontal sensor circuit, which I assume is also related to HVAC and P0385 Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor B circuit, which I assume is most related to the CES light and stalling problem. It does not seem that simply changing the CPS will do much good if there is a problem in the circuit. Am I wrong? Anyone have any ideas?:helpless:

On a 2000 model year car, the crank position sensors are a known weak point. The manufacturer of the CKPs in 2000 was producing an inferior product and GM switched away from them and redesigned the sensors since then. New sensors are a new design and will not fail the same way again. I think you should replace BOTH of the CKPs and that should resolve the P0385 code and the SES/stall issue.

As for the other codes, you should post those in the Deville forum for better answers.

johwhite
02-02-06, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your assistance and advise Mike. I looked back in my maintenance history and noted that both of the CKPs were replaced by the Dealer while still under warranty in March 2002. Do you happen to know when GM switched manufacturers? Also, since the P0385 code relates to the CKP circuit rather than the sensor itself, do your think replacing the CKPs again would cure the problem? I am totally baffled because the CES light is again off and I would think that a bad circuit would result in a constant CES. Again, your insight and assistance are appreciated.