: CTS V or STS v8??

Benjamin Simon
01-31-06, 03:51 AM
If you guys had it to do all over again, would you get a STS v8 or a CTS V? I realize these are very different cars. Perhaps the question could be better asked as which car is better at what they are intended to be?

I test drove a CTS v6 and I was not pleased at all. I like my bigger STS, it was just nicer, and faster...

I am looking in to trading in my 99 STS for a newer caddy soon.

I am also trying to get input on the STS message board.
Best,

01-31-06, 06:30 AM
this will end up another "stick v. auto" and/or Northstar v. LSx thread.

It will also necessarily be a $50K vs. $80K thread, which is silly. Then again I guess I could buy a CTS-V and a Charger RT (or a Mustang GT) for the same price as an STS-V, so we could compare the 2 v. 1 for the same money....

(e-thug....isn't this where the "serious bank" quote came from? "A real playa with serious bank would get the STS-v?" )

Kadonny
01-31-06, 07:54 AM
It all boils down to what you want. I looked at both cars, but was not ready to settle down (so to say) into an STS. I still wanted my car to kick and snort and scream and squeel. It was a no brainer. CTS-V.

Dooman
01-31-06, 08:03 AM
I still would think a standard STS with the V8 and 320hp must be pretty quick.. But not so much handling there...

CIWS
01-31-06, 08:25 AM
The first question you have to ask yourself is one of shifting. The CTS-V is a 6 speed only and if you're currently in an STS and looking at another STS, shifting (long term) may not be something you want to deal with. However if it's not a problem, then you can probably answer this question pretty simply by going down to your local dealer and actually driving the two cars and seeing which one meets your current needs. The CTS-V is a Cadillac and has some luxury amenities, but at it's heart it is a performance / race car. The STS is not. It has some nice performance in the V8 Northstar, but it's more focused on it's luxury.
But there's nothing like someone mistaking you for a normal CTS only to discover they've made a serious error as you leave them in the rearview mirror ;)

kjaj97
01-31-06, 10:34 AM
The CTS-V will thrill you more and annoy you more. Life’s too short to be boring – get the CTS-V. If your only 23 now and get the STS, you’ll probably want the DTS when your 27…. and that would just be…. wrong ;) Have fun!

Florian
01-31-06, 10:46 AM
I traded my 00 STS for the V, and havent looked back. The STS was too much like driving a couch. I need some input from the car (i.e. shifting, road feel, etc) The STS is a big highway cruiser that is plush and comfortable (except my seats started to tear the ass outta me after about 60K miles, just got unpleasant to sit in, could feel the springs or frame or something and I only weigh 205) The V is a rocket with great highway manners, solid performance and above all, is just a lot of fun. Could I say the STS was 'fun', no way. I also hated the front wheel drive 'heaviness' of the STS, the front end was just friggin heavy!!!
Go with the V, youll love every minute (except the ones you spend in the shop waiting room) and frankly, it looks better too.

F

pimpcaddy
01-31-06, 10:48 AM
The CTS-V will thrill you more and annoy you more. Life’s too short to be boring – get the CTS-V. If your only 23 now and get the STS, you’ll probably want the DTS when your 27…. and that would just be…. wrong ;) Have fun!

What he said. Definitely a "thrill" to drive.

Dave

L.Sanchez
01-31-06, 12:26 PM
Ultimate performance sedan = CTS-V

Luxury performance sedan = STS-V

You can see where my head is. :)

BadCad
01-31-06, 12:31 PM
I have a CTS-V and have driven the STS-V when it came out; I prefer the CTS-V overall. Better, more responsive roadfeel, tighter feeling overall and prior posts show the CTS-V to be just a bit quicker then the STS-V. The STS-V is just a more luxurious, slightly larger Caddi with supercharged Northstar thrown in. No attempt to seriously compete with the latest generation Bimmers and Benzes.
The STS V8 with the magnetic shocks setup actually drives better then the STS-V in curves and turns, but is not quite as fast as the STS-V. Now if they had put in the LS7 in the STS-V, I would've jumped. :yup:

verbs
01-31-06, 12:56 PM
CTS-V in a heartbeat.

pmsteinm
01-31-06, 01:54 PM
I also went from a 2000 STS to a V. The V is much more fun to drive. I never went for joy rides in the STS like I do in the V. That said, the STS was a lot nicer on the inside, although I find the V's seat to be more comfortable.
I still miss my STS:(. It was my 1st new car. But the V is so much more fun, so I manage to get over my sadness.

heavymetals
01-31-06, 02:17 PM
You said you drove a CTS V6.

No comparison.

Go drive a CTS-V and then try to convince yourself you don't want one.

Come back and report after you drive one...

crowan
01-31-06, 02:28 PM
(e-thug....isn't this where the "serious bank" quote came from? "A real playa with serious bank would get the STS-v?" )

That is correct, my brother from another mother. A similar thread delivered both "serious bank" and E-thug to the Forum Hall of Fame. If the "pampered doctor's toy" had joined in, we would have it the trifecta!:thumbsup:

E

V-SATX
01-31-06, 04:49 PM
I just turned in my 03 STS after a 3 year lease. I loved this one like my previous 15 years of driving Cadillacs. They have been my go to car exclusively for business. Cadillac makes those long road trips to Houston that much easier. The owner of my dealership asked me to drive the V prior to picking up another 06 STS (Northstar). Well, the rest is history...I bought the race car. Now I have a big problem; I have to buy another car for business. My V has earned the exclusive right to rest in the garage in anticipation of my weekends with her.:banghead:

Trust me, buy the V.

Redline
01-31-06, 06:39 PM
I drove the V8 STS when I was looking at the V just to humor my sales person. Thought it was a nice car -- for my wife. Completely different set of criteria to buy one or the other. Figure out what you really want from your car...

Mat347
01-31-06, 06:55 PM
I agree that the CTS is no comparison to the CTS-V with the interior being the only exception. I honestly don't believe the CTS is worth the mid 30's to 40's they are asking for them. As stated above, drive a V and you'll see exactly what we are talking about.

Bigplay
01-31-06, 07:00 PM
I have both cars in my garage. When I feel like screaming down the road quickly and racing I drive the V. When I feel like chilling out but great have real good power and handling I drive my V8 STS awd. Me personally like the handling better in the STS or it maybe the awd makes it seem to hug corners a little better that the V to me,but the V is still great in that respect. I love both cars.

CIWS
01-31-06, 07:02 PM
I've been driving a CTS for the last two weeks while my V is at the dealership. TRUST ME they are not even close, I'm going insane :bonkers: