: Diff lube change at 8K

calicadi
01-31-06, 03:23 AM
At just over 8000 miles thought I'd swap the differential lube out before the autocross season starts.

First, if you're going do this yourself, check out the FAQ. Also, I highly recommend investing in a 10mm hex socket (see attached). That, a short extension, and a ratchet, gives you a good grip compared to wielding an Allen wrench around hot exhaust parts. Cost, less than $4.

Second, I was somewhat surprised at the color and condition of what came out. (See other two attachments.) It was a dark charcoal color and note the colloidal quality in the pan photo. Could that be the additive for the LSD? Now I'll admit it's been a long since I drained and filled a diff. I think Nixon was in the White House. (Something about the V just makes me want to tinker!) I recall the color then was more like a dark bock beer. Anyhow, the goo on the papertowel is the scrappings off the magnetic drain plug. As you can see plenty of it. That was expected from a new diff.

Refilled with Red Line 75W90 full synthetic. It's the color of honey. No LSD additive is required, though the bottle does say if you experience chatter put some of theirs in. Cleaned everything up and took her for a spin... literally. Did some tight donuts, full lock left and right, while listening for chatter. None. Did some high speed runs going part- and off throttle in gears 4, 5 and 6 at the top of the runs, listening anything different or unusual. Nada...or a least same as before. You hear the difference in tone when the gears are loaded (part-throttle) compared to unloaded (off throttle).

I suppose the stock lube would be OK for whatever the recommended interval is, but I certainly feel better for having done this little chore. Oh, and I think I just figured out why I like to tinker again... test runs! :thepan:

moldowan
01-31-06, 03:44 AM
yeah I had my '06 diff fulid changed at 1K after the swap. Color looked the same and same amt. of shavings.
I put in 75-140 royal purple with the additive (at the advice of my tech). It is a bit quieter but not much, still whines like the '05 one.:mad:
-Moldy

calicadi
01-31-06, 03:55 AM
Moldowon-ken-obi... you're back!

Oddly enough mine is an early build 04. Benjet and I got the first two in Northern California, both delivered on the same day. My diff is still as quiet as day one. Either I got the Golden Wonka ticket to Happy-Diff-ville or tic-tic-tic-tic.

moldowan
01-31-06, 08:14 AM
Moldowon-ken-obi... you're back!

Haven't been gone :cool2: just only post when I think I have something worth saying........................which is rare-LOL
-moldy

Dennisscars
01-31-06, 10:48 PM
Mine was same way at 2,500 and had real bad stank at 5,000. RP and no whine or nut drop yet...cheap and easy.

PneuBird
02-01-06, 05:29 AM
Just changed mine yesterday at 26000 miles. This is my second diff put in at 7000 miles. About every 10000 miles out with the old and in with the new. I only had a small amount of metal on the plug so I'm a happy camper for now!! :bigroll:

calicadi
02-01-06, 10:53 PM
Just to verify capacity... About a quart and a third came out, and the same amount refilled it. Is that what everyone else found?