: Goodbye Wheel Hop

Vegas V
01-30-06, 02:03 PM
Well, I no longer have wheel hop, that is because my rear end exploded yesterday while on my way back home from the car wash, I was driving normaly and then, BAM, gears grinding, my instrument cluster got all illuminated, the NAV screen was going crazy, the wheel hop was so bad for a couple of seconds, that it felt like the tire was hitting the inner fendel well, I pulled over to see what had happend, and all I can see is oil coming from the rear end, so I tought a seal had gone bad, I called AAA for them to pick up the car and as they are raising the from the rear, the tow truck driver noticed something strange and called me over, I looked under neat to see the differential cover in pieces, that's right, the cover had broken in several pieces, car is at the dealer right now, I'm waiting for their call to see if they are going to cover the repair, since the maggie got installed just a couple of weeks ago, wish me luck.

50 4Ever
01-30-06, 02:07 PM
I wish you luck. It is my understanding that GM will stand behind the stuff unless a mod can be linked as the cause. I think guys on this forum have had their diff's fail even without a Maggie. It might be a longshot but search the TSB's for something to do with a diff problem.

heavymetals
01-30-06, 02:07 PM
Good luck.

CIWS
01-30-06, 02:18 PM
Damn that sucks :(
Hopefully the dealership knows these things can lunch Diffs with or without mods. (keeping fingers crossed)

CTSV05
01-30-06, 02:26 PM
Well, I do wish you luck!!

All will depend on your dealer really......so hopefully you have a good one.....its times as these that will define that for you.

Kadonny
01-30-06, 02:34 PM
Here is wishing you luck.

ewill3rd
01-30-06, 02:55 PM
Well at least you found a cure for the wheel hop concern. :D

Sorry, I am just kidding, seriously though, I hope they take care of it for you.
I know what a bummer it is to have something like that happen.

Good luck.

Mat347
01-30-06, 03:09 PM
I also wish you the best, but with that Maggie they can pretty easily deny the warranty. They initially denied a warranty for a CAI and a CPU tune :cookoo: but changed their mind in the end.

Vegas V
01-30-06, 03:17 PM
Got the call from the dealer, they are NOT going to cover the diff under warrantee, I aked for an estimate, might have to take a loan to cover that cost, however, what if the new diff takes a crap in the next 3 or 4 months?

Should I ask for the diff out of an 06 CTS-V? or are they going to give me the same garbage that is on the car now? what is the part number for the new diff?

TampaV
01-30-06, 03:25 PM
Got the call from the dealer, they are NOT going to cover the diff under warrantee, I aked for an estimate, might have to take a loan to cover that cost, however, what if the new diff takes a crap in the next 3 or 4 months?

Should I ask for the diff out of an 06 CTS-V? or are they going to give me the same garbage that is on the car now? what is the part number for the new diff?

2006 CTS-V Differential Part Number:

heavymetals
01-30-06, 04:10 PM
That BLOWS big time.

The service and dealers are well aware of the failures.

Is this the first time, and how many miles do you have on it?

Vegas V
01-30-06, 05:12 PM
That BLOWS big time.

The service and dealers are well aware of the failures.

Is this the first time, and how many miles do you have on it?
Got the price qoute from the dealer.

New Diff installed $3,100.00

the wierd thing is, that the service Manager pulled the order sheet for my car and it is showing the same part number for the diff, which means that my car had the new 06 unit installed, and still took a crap, I talk to them in regards to warrantee, and they told me that the motor will eventually distroy the new diff that they are going to install and that I have to pay for, they told me to pull the maggie out and leave it alone, that way they will cover the diff in case it takes a dump again.

By the way, my car only has 2900 miles on the clock.

GM this is what I think of you :tisk:

heavymetals
01-30-06, 05:25 PM
That really blows.

I am not going to ask about your driving style, launching tech, or if you drag race it.

For that much money you might try a different dealer, and absorb the flat bed costs.

Just get an upfront from the other service that it will be done under warranty.

I have found that attitude accounts for a lot, and with that little mileage you might find a real "co-operative" service manager/tech.

Also, I do not know of any 05 that came stock with the new diff.

What you probably saw is the order sheet and the new diff # is there as the old # is n/a.
I don't know where the part # is on the actual diff, but you can be sure your car didn't come with the replacement, unless it failed and was replaced before you got it.

Mat347
01-30-06, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't let GM fix it, they should make NO $$$ off replacing a part which has been proven to break on non-modified cars.
If you can afford the downtime, you should wait the few weeks/months for one of the aftermarket PERMANENT fixes for the rear. You have the mods to justify it.

Vegas V
01-30-06, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't let GM fix it, they should make NO $$$ off replacing a part which has been proven to break on non-modified cars.
If you can afford the downtime, you should wait the few weeks/months for one of the aftermarket PERMANENT fixes for the rear. You have the mods to justify it.
I don't mind picking up the car and put it to sleep for a couple of months, I've been drinving my new Saleen and would drive it if necesary ( even though I love driving the V instead) but I need to find more info on the new replacement fix for the diff, if you anybody knows about the new diff that someone is making for the V, please let me know.

odysseus
01-30-06, 06:17 PM
Got the price qoute from the dealer.

New Diff installed $3,100.00

Ouch! GMPD lists this part (15793756) for $1356.50, although it lists for $1938. Even at list price, that's almost $1200 for labor! At $85/hour, that means over 13 hours to install! If they can't change a diff in three hours, something's wrong, IMHO.

If I was footing the bill, I'd get it from GMPD and then have someone else install it, (or do it myself!).

wildwhl
01-30-06, 07:15 PM
Buy it direct and replace it yourself (or at a better speed shop)

-or-

Start bitching and show them how many have blown up with n/a cars and see if they'll cut any deal.

urbanski
01-30-06, 07:21 PM
contact this guy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Cadillac-CTS-V-Engine-LS6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8033668 338QQrdZ1
see if he'll get you that one's diff. it'll likely be the old unit.

Then contact Skeeter
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61674
see if he salvaged his.

lastly PM Drift-Caddy....if they find a salvaged V for their race car, I'm certain they'd dump the stock arse.

ctsvett
01-30-06, 07:24 PM
I'd make some calls and try another dealer before I shelled out money like that...

What mods do you have (did I miss something?)?

Reed

CVP33
01-30-06, 07:29 PM
I have nothing to say. :halo:

Vegas V
01-30-06, 07:29 PM
I'd make some calls and try another dealer before I shelled out money like that...

What mods do you have (did I miss something?)?

Reed
Magnaflow Exhaust.
Maggie.

CRZY747
01-30-06, 08:04 PM
hmm take that car home, take the maggie off and take it to another dealer. That is the only way to go at this point. Save your self some time and be able to drive it for a while. Then you have time to wait for the MADMAN or Aussie rearend, which should be comming out within the next month or two.

Just tell the dealer that you are going to take the car home and have a aftermarket one installed for the price they quoted and that you want to say thanks but no thanks.

CRZY747
01-30-06, 08:06 PM
People in this instance don't take the car to the dealer, common lets think a little here, everyone complains about how GM treats people with no mods, they saw your mods and said no way. I guarantee when this happens to me, the mods will be gone off the car and it will go to GM and only then. Cause 3K is rediculous to pay for this rearend in my opinion, or at least from the Dealer.

Luna.
01-30-06, 08:07 PM
$3,100? :jawdrop:

Ouch! GMPD lists this part (15793756) for $1356.50, although it lists for $1938. Even at list price, that's almost $1200 for labor! At $85/hour, that means over 13 hours to install! If they can't change a diff in three hours, something's wrong, IMHO.

If I was footing the bill, I'd get it from GMPD and then have someone else install it, (or do it myself!).

:yeah:

Mat347
01-30-06, 08:34 PM
I don't mind picking up the car and put it to sleep for a couple of months, I've been drinving my new Saleen and would drive it if necesary ( even though I love driving the V instead) but I need to find more info on the new replacement fix for the diff, if you anybody knows about the new diff that someone is making for the V, please let me know.

A Saleen, while not a V, is still a really sweet ride.. The above mentioned, MADMAN or Aussie rears are what I was talking about. One of them (don't quite remember) keeps the IRS while using an aluminum 9" housing...which we all know how bulletproof the 9"s are, aftermarket parts are plentiful as well. I'd throw some 3.60s in there due to the extra TQ your Maggie gives...or 4.11s if you are just crazy!
There should be a post on this site with pics of their progress.

Vegas V
01-30-06, 08:35 PM
Talked to the dealer, I'm picking up the car tomorrow and taking it home, I think I rather wait and invest my money on something that is well worth the money instead of just pissing my money away with this rear OEM rear ends.

verbs
01-30-06, 08:36 PM
My bill came out to $5100 because the differential breaking took out my driveshaft as well.

GNSCOTT
01-30-06, 08:40 PM
buy the part and have someone else install it. Never let a dealer touch your car unless its warranty work period. There are plenty of dealers around the country that will discount GM parts. I would suggest you go to the Vette or Z-28 board and ask for one in your area. You could end up getting it all done for $2000.

arr0gant
01-30-06, 09:45 PM
Im NOT putting on a Maggie. F-THAT BS! Just ain't worth the worrying.

Vegas V
01-30-06, 09:54 PM

I'm with you on that, this cars are just a Piece of S&*^ they built them with a bad ass motor, and then they finish them up with a $10.00 rear end, CMON, but it's too late for me now, I'm going to have to take it like a real MAN, Honey where is the VASELINE!

ahahnu
01-30-06, 10:06 PM
Honey where is the VASELINE!

Two fingers, better make it three. I am eating while reading this and I kinda dropped my fork while reading about your saleen. Sweet ride choices, by both companies. Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing your review of the aftermarket rear.

ace996
01-30-06, 10:25 PM

Buy it from GMPD and have another shop put it in for $300. Done....Fkuc-U GM!!!!

Gordy Petrovski
01-30-06, 11:00 PM
I to have a Maggie in my V so when the time comes to replace the Diff the speed shop that put it in is doing the work. GM is NEVER getting another $$$ out of me. For one they are killing U on the lobor ( Max 3 hrs ). Get your car & tell them to GO F*CK THEM SELVES. GM deserves every thing it get's,sorry this realy makes me :vomit:I realy do love my car but I am sick & tired of makeing excusses why I can't run my car from a dead dig. GOOD LUCK I hope it all works out for U :cheers:

Rickerbucks
01-30-06, 11:18 PM
What he said. No maggie for me. These diff's are just a glass jaw. Candidly guys it is not worth modifying these cars until after the warranty AND after they build a beter replacement.

heavymetals
01-30-06, 11:40 PM
I wanted to say that it is pretty stand up of you to take the responsibility for having modded your car, and not whine about it.

My dealer/service has been great, but then Calif. has the best consumer laws also.

Even without the maggie if you were "wheel hoppin" it, it was due to fail.

I believe that another problem with GETRAG is/was quality control.

What you are being quoted is very high, but that is why there are independants.

Vegas V
01-31-06, 02:29 AM
I forgot to mention that the car was only driven just about 100 miles after the maggie got installed, never raced and never taken to the stip, I'll just keep the car in my garage and wait untill a GOOD aftermarket unit is available for my car, till then, I'm going to have to drive the Saleen or perhaps I can drive the Impala, you guys want to know what the Impala looks like go here http://www.sstrangemotorsports.com/96%20Impala%20SS.htm

moldowan
01-31-06, 03:38 AM
well i WAS thinking of a maggie and the dezod header package but......after seeing this thread it was the final decision maker for me: NO MORE MODS FOR ME!
It just isn't worth the BS, also I believe until a car comes out that i want for an everyday driver i will "watch" my driving of the V.
Translation; no more street racing and more of the twisty fun.
Too bad really because I love killing people wuith this sleeper!!! When I Kill people with the viper srt-10 they kinda look at you with a "oh well it was worth a try" Look-:boring:
When is the audi RS6 coming out again???? LOL
BTW: feb issue of "Automobile" magazine has a photo of the new jag XJ series for 2008-09??? Holy crap it looks cool, kinda like a 4 door bentley GT!!!!!!!
Over and out-
MOLDY

dannystang
01-31-06, 08:17 AM
I forgot to mention that the car was only driven just about 100 miles after the maggie got installed, never raced and never taken to the stip, I'll just keep the car in my garage and wait untill a GOOD aftermarket unit is available for my car, till then, I'm going to have to drive the Saleen or perhaps I can drive the Impala, you guys want to know what the Impala looks like go here http://www.sstrangemotorsports.com/96%20Impala%20SS.htm

Vegas next time im in the area lets get together and find those f*cking BASTARDS that vandalized your car like that...

V-Beach
01-31-06, 10:20 PM
Vegas next time im in the area lets get together and find those f*cking BASTARDS that vandalized your car like that...

That is the funniest thing yet on this forum.

CVP33
01-31-06, 10:39 PM
I still have nothing to say.

ace996
01-31-06, 11:59 PM
I still have nothing to say.
...yeah, my attorney told me to be quiet, too....

JRoller
02-02-06, 01:52 AM
Talked to the dealer, I'm picking up the car tomorrow and taking it home, I think I rather wait and invest my money on something that is well worth the money instead of just pissing my money away with this rear OEM rear ends.

I just got my car back from Findlay on Auto Mall Drive after 43 days in a stall (back ordered parts....?)

What dealership did you take yours to?

Vegas V
02-02-06, 11:23 AM
I just got my car back from Findlay on Auto Mall Drive after 43 days in a stall (back ordered parts....?)

What dealership did you take yours to?

Cadillac Of Las Vegas East, that where I bought the car from, did I say car? I mean that piece of S$%^ :tisk: