: Drain Power Steering on LT1 FWB?

N0DIH
01-30-06, 12:06 PM
What is the best way to drain and fill the power steering on my LT1 FWB?

I want to drain oil and the additive I put in that DID stop my steering box leak well, and see if the leak stays "plugged" and that I get rid of my cold start power steering noise.

ideas?

JoCan
01-30-06, 12:28 PM
I have used a turkey baster. It won't get the fluid in the hoses but it will get most. Especially if you drain it, drive it and drain it again.

Katshot
01-30-06, 12:32 PM
I usually just pull the return line and route it to a pail or something and then start the engine. It pumps it out pretty fast. You can even dump a a can of fresh fluid in after that to flush the system. Then just reconnect the return line and refill with fresh fluid. BTW, in that other thread I couldn't remember the name of the additive I used. When I read your post, I remembered it WAS the Lucas stuff.

N0DIH
01-30-06, 01:17 PM
Did you have any problems with it when cold out? (I assume PA gets pretty cold in the winter). I see below 45F a power steering noise that is pretty loud, but goes away in 20-30 seconds, just fades away. It seemed to come in as it got cold and as it was just starting to get cold, is when I added the Lucas stuff. That stuff is like cold mollasses! I filled the whole bottle in, (I was low at the time), but haven't added a drop since.

Katshot
01-30-06, 01:49 PM
I really don't recall having a problem but to be honest, I used it in a customer's car and just because I never heard any complaints, doesn't mean there weren't any. He was trying to avoid buying a pump and it DID help in that regard at least. I saw the car for quite a while afterwards but to be honest can't remember what time of year it was. I'm planning on adding it to my car soon for a test though.

ocjmakaveli
01-30-06, 05:05 PM
The whine could just be the fluid being so old and not necessarily the lucas stuff.

What I did was remove the return line which at the reservoir is the line closer to the front of the car (headlights, grille etc.) I removed the fluid first iwth a baster then took the line out put it towards a bucket and use another small hose with vice grips to plug the hole at the reservoir.

Then I filled the reservoir with new fluid and with the vehicle jacked up the engine off as per FSM start turning the steering wheel after about 20 turns maybe less you'll see clear fluid coming out of the line once this happens just replug the line refill with fluid. The bleeding process consists of just turning the wheel back and forth 20 times more (if PS cooler equipped 40 turns will be necessary) after the bleeding just start the car and take it for a drive.

Pretty straight forward i wanted to try starting the car but I wasn't sure if it would cause the ps pump to run dry and possibly hurt something.

N0DIH
01-30-06, 06:19 PM
Actually mine was leaking so bad in 6 months I was past using 3 qts of oil to keep it full. So I am sure it is fresh, but that Lucas stuff is THICK. Take a bottle of molasses and stick it in the fridge, then after an overnight, try to pour it out. That is about right. The trans fluid additive is the same. In the winter it is a lost cause to fill with it.....

Thanks for all the ideas, I will give it a shot when the temps allow....