: Screw in tire

ahahnu
01-30-06, 09:00 AM
Has anyone plugged a screw hole in the runflats? Does anyone condone this?

icemanjack
01-30-06, 10:25 AM
I had a plug put in one of my tires and it did just fine for several weeks until I bought a new set.
Jack

icemanjack
01-30-06, 10:27 AM
I should mention that they had one heck of a time pushing the plug in. There were two of them and finally they had to use a drill to open the hole just a bit.
Worked fine.
Jack

PneuBird
01-30-06, 10:35 AM
Same problem with a two inch screw in mine...it's a bear pushing that plug thru and the drilling out of the hole is a good idea. That could save a lot of grief! :eek:

tedcmiller
01-30-06, 10:38 AM
I had a screw hole in one of my Eagle F1s plugged about 8K miles ago at the dealer. The tire guy who barely spoke English had no problem putting the plug in, and I have not had any problems with the tire.

50 4Ever
01-30-06, 12:35 PM
It depends on where it is. I personally would never plug a tire, unless it was just to limp into a tire shop. If the screw is in the tread, away from the sidewall, get a tire shop to internally patch it. The Goodyears will lose one letter in speedrating everytime you patch them, and goodyear says you can only patch a tire twice before it is unservicable (they won't stand behind the tire). Some other brands of runflats, like Firestone, they will not stand behind the tire if patched or plugged at all.

One benefit of patching is that they grind off about as much tire as the patch weighs, so no balancing problems.

DrivingAmericanNow
01-30-06, 12:42 PM
I saw the thread title, "Screw in Tire" and I thought, "Oh, I've got to see this......" Hence, my disappointment. :alchi:

50 4Ever
01-30-06, 12:45 PM
I saw the thread title, "Screw in Tire" and I thought, "Oh, I've got to see this......" Hence, my disappointment. :alchi:

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :worship:

roadracerx72
01-30-06, 05:11 PM
Just had a screw taken out in my right front tire last Saturday. It was patched by Big O tires. I was a little suprised but the guys there knew what they were doing. Not a scratch on the rim, anywhere.

ctsvett
01-30-06, 06:19 PM
gm just released a Info Bulletin on patching a hole.. I posted it last night on the TSB section of the FAQ.

Reed

tedcmiller
01-31-06, 02:11 PM
Anytime a supplier (or in some cases a manufacturer, since they are sometimes the same) specifies restrictions that:
a. Don't seem to make sense
b. Contradict real world experience
c. Promote the sale of their product

I go with real world experience. I think plugging small screw holes in run-flat tires falls into this category.

ctsvett
01-31-06, 02:34 PM
THe bulletin doesnt say aything specific about runflats, but I patched my runflat and it worked NO PROBLEMS until the tires wore out. This was up to speed too (120-130)... It mostly matters where the puncture is and how close it is to the sidewall of the tire..

I agree with TedC on everything else though... Dont be fooled by snake oil.

Reed

ahahnu
02-01-06, 10:08 PM
I went to the tire place today - Apollo Tire in Denville, NJ. I'm only giving them a shout because they are really great (twin brothers) that own it. They took me in back while removing the tire. They had a special machine that had a plastic like covering so it doesn't scratch your tire. It also took the shimmy out. They coat the inside of the tire with some liquid.

The other reason is the guy was telling me a story about another V owner. Don't think it was anyone on here. He was telling me another local tire shop ordered winter tires for some guy (run flats) then kept his car for a few days with out doing the service because they don't change run flats. Who would do something like that?