: I can't cook...

SpeedyArizona
01-29-06, 10:54 PM
Tried to make vegetarian stir-fry and burnt EVERY single veggie:banghead: ! Any other men in the same boat? (we all know cooking is women's work:D anyway) I can grill up a mean steak though, just haven't mastered the almighty wok...yet.

Eric Kahn
01-29-06, 10:58 PM
Cooking is easy,
1 open can of Chef boy r dee ravioli
2 poor in plastic bowl
3 microwave for 2 minutes
4 eat

I can even manage to cook eggs and bacon on the real stove without burning them:bonkers:

Kev
01-29-06, 11:05 PM
...(we all know cooking is women's work:D anyway) ....Don't say that to Emeril Lagasse or "BAM!" may take on a new meaning! :histeric:

Kev
01-29-06, 11:06 PM
...can of Chef boy r dee ravioli...Now that is some nasty stuff right there! :vomit:

SpeedyArizona
01-29-06, 11:13 PM
Emeril is not a cook....he's a chef! Chef Boy R Dee Ravioli is what I call, "puke in a can:vomit:!"

Sandy
01-29-06, 11:18 PM
I'm a good cook. I've been cooking on & off since age 13. I enjoy it, but I hate cleaning up the mess, cooking always makes. I make really excellent scrambled eggs & omlets, tuna salad the best in the east, steaks, lamb chops, portobello mushrooms over filet of Sole fish with stewed tomatoes, and to die for hot dogs & burgers. Flounder Almondine with strewed cauliflower with melted cheese over it, and other stuff. I cannot bake worth a _____ and why bother with all the super duper bakeries here in NJ.
I do baked bean & hot dog cassarole, blending in Indian mustard. Hot & Spicy & yummy. My Mom taught me to cook when I expressed an interest in it at 13. She Said " You might marry a girl who can't cook ~ so it doesn't hurt to learn.." {How Mom know, when I was 13......}
I can cook Italian and/or Jewish and even Kosher as well as a little bit German. German is hard, so give me a break!!

Kev
01-29-06, 11:36 PM
I'm great with breakfast, eggs most any style, pancakes, waffles, French toast, etc.
I make a great Huevos con Chorizo with salsa and tortias.
I've got a killer home-made spaghetti sauce recipe that I conjured up myself, I can make pork or Chicken Adobo to die for as well as Pancit and Egg Drop Soup.
Tuna melt or a hot Reuben.
You give me the right ingredients and I won't loose any weight.
I like to experiment, but like Sandy, I hate the clean up though of late I've made myself do it right away and it's not too bad then.

JC316
01-30-06, 12:13 AM
Hey, don't be knocking the Chef boy r dee ravioli, I love the stuff. I am a much better mechanic than I am a cook. Lunch is okay, but anything else is out.

iametarq
01-30-06, 12:16 AM
i thought vegetarian was another indian word for "doesn't hunt well" or so said some bumper sticker I saw a few weeks ago. :)

i really only cook pancakes, eggs, spaghetti sauce, and hamburgers, and occasionally fish.

Sandy
01-30-06, 12:56 AM
If you wanna make things that are good, &I mean really really good, you have to purchase things where they are "the best" ~ Supermarkets, i.e. grocery stores generally have the worse meat. It's USDA choice, meaning it's tough, chewy and frequently tasteless. At best? It's blah. You cannot beat butcher-store meat. It's all he has to sell, he can't make a living on anything else ~ all he sells is MEAT, so if his meat is lousey, he is out of business.
Usually he'll sell Prime grade meats which are superior to the supermarket's USDA "Choice" which, while it sounds good, in reality, it's entry level. Anything lesser get ground up for hamberger or if not good enough for that, it goes into dog food. I'll buy meat uisually at the Italian Butcher or at the Kosher Butcher. Both are superior.
Most supermarkets have pretty decent vegis and I have not seen a reason to go to specific Fruit & Vegi markets.
We have a nuts & fruits store (small) but good stuff. I'll buy sliced almondenes there and pecans and dried apriciots there. Pricey, but yummy.
I also get ready made Pasta (Ravoli stuffed with Ricotta) at the Italian Butcher. If anyone here is from Jersey it's from CAMPY'S and we all know Campys ! THE BEST pasta, made fresh daily and hand made, no machines.
Chicken.
Chicken I only buy at the Kosher Butcher. Once you've had fresh killed kosher chicken, everything else tastes like plastic.
My wife likes it baked. I brush it with glazed honey and black pepper and fry it in a wok ! I don't like cutting it up, so the butcher does it for me.
I cannot make a turkey, and I don't wanna learn.:helpless:

Playdrv4me
01-30-06, 12:58 AM
Cooking is easy,
1 open can of Chef boy r dee ravioli
2 poor in plastic bowl
3 microwave for 2 minutes
4 eat

I can even manage to cook eggs and bacon on the real stove without burning them:bonkers:

Waaay too much work. I just pop the Chef boyardee can right on the stove, heat grab a fork and eat it right out of there!

Jesda
01-30-06, 01:15 AM
My culinary abilities are limited only by my equipment:

http://www.tompkins-co.org/wellness/worksite/products/gforemansuperchamp.jpg

davesdeville
01-30-06, 03:20 AM
I'll spend a half hour or an hour at work and get something already done, as opposed to spending half the cost on ingrediants and 2 hours cooking.

70eldo
01-30-06, 05:42 AM
I am a great cook and having fun at cooking. My mom let me cook since I was 8 and I took turns with my brothers or we would cook together. Internet is full with recipes and tips, so there's an endless source of inspiration.
Ready food comes in handy in some times, but from scratch tastes always better and doesn't neccessarily mean hours of cooking.

mccombie_5
01-30-06, 06:09 AM
Im a good cook when i want to be, its just having the motivation. When my wife was away in Paris a few months ago, all you can eat Chinese food, Indian resaurants, Pizza houses and Burger King were the main menu options...

And DING meals.

Jesda
01-30-06, 06:11 AM
from scratch tastes always better and doesn't neccessarily mean hours of cooking.

Unless your name is J. Gulati, in which case everything takes 4 hours and tastes like carbon. :) I do cook shockingly well when a girl is involved. I pride myself on my AWESOME chicken alfredo.

Sex motivates everything, even food. :yup:

mccombie_5
01-30-06, 06:16 AM
Unless your name is J. Gulati, in which case everything takes 4 hours and tastes like carbon. :) I do cook shockingly well when a girl is involved. I pride myself on my AWESOME chicken alfredo.

Hell Yeah!!

Sex makes the world go round! Its all that momentum

70eldo
01-30-06, 07:28 AM
I do cook shockingly well when a girl is involved. I pride myself on my AWESOME chicken alfredo.

Very good point there! It a very good way to impress your girl! :stirpot: :D

Sandy
01-30-06, 10:04 AM
Hey, Craig, GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK !!!:D

FSU_Noles
01-30-06, 01:42 PM
I cannot make a turkey, and I don't wanna learn.:helpless:

Get a big burner, a big pot, fill it with peanut oil, heat to 375 and then drop the bird in. Cook 3-4 min per pound and wah-la - Turkey.

seriously, best turkey I have ever eaten was deep fried.

Rolex
01-30-06, 01:45 PM
I am actually a decent cook....which helps because my wife can't even boil water. I learned watching my mother as a kid.

ETA wok cooking isn't that hard to master. Keep it super hot and have all your ingredients sitting out, pre-measured, and ready to just throw in. Otherwise it will burn the crap out of whatever you're cooking while you're digging in the pantry for the soy.

OffThaHorseCEO
01-30-06, 02:45 PM
im a medium skill level cook, ive made a killer lasagnga with the help of a friend, made some chicken/fettucini alfredo on my own, made some killer omelets, made some fried potatoes, not the bag kind but the kind you peel and slice yourself, made some....rice and beans, thats good stuf, of course i more frequently made "DING" dinners and DiGiorno's. o i used to work at a pizza place and made pizza from scratch, dough sauce etc, i messed up a couple of watches mixing the dough.

tru504187211
01-30-06, 02:54 PM
Get a big burner, a big pot, fill it with peanut oil, heat to 375 and then drop the bird in. Cook 3-4 min per pound and wah-la - Turkey.

Isn't everything better deep fried?? :D

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
01-30-06, 04:44 PM
I'm not too bad at cooking.

I have come to the conclusion though that food looks and tastes LOADS better if you buy fresh ingredients. Looks loads better too.

I used to eat very unhealthily in university, so nowadays I try not to fry too much (except when making chinese food) and make most stuff on the old George Foreman grill (which is quick to cook and quick to clean if you get the one with the removeable plates) and that's a real bonus as I don't have much time.

addison_ii
01-30-06, 05:37 PM

seriously, best turkey I have ever eaten was deep fried.I just got a turkey fryer that big enough to fit my whole body in. :D j/k but it's huge and your turkey frying directions are right on. I'm a pretty good cook. Chicken wings are my speciality. I make some Chicken Wings that will make you bite your fingers off while eating because they're that good.

Sandy
01-30-06, 08:15 PM

1/3rd of my veins allready have road blocks up. That receipe should close down the rest of the throughways!! :thehand:

FSU_Noles
01-30-06, 09:24 PM
1/3rd of my veins allready have road blocks up. That receipe should close down the rest of the throughways!! :thehand:

You would think so, however that is not the case. The extreme temp sears the outside of the bird and the inside cooks perfectly - not greasy at all or even like fried chicken.

SpeedyArizona
01-30-06, 10:55 PM
I'm a pretty good cook. Chicken wings are my speciality. I make some Chicken Wings that will make you bite your fingers off while eating because they're that good.

I absolutely love spicy wings, just can't beat 'em! Hooters (yes, I said Hooters) has the BEST wings that have ever grazed my taste buds.

I'm a "grill man", if I can't grill it or smoke it, I won't make it :D! My specialty is a 1/3 pound burger with Cookies BBQ Sauce and sauteed mushrooms on top of a kaiser bun...delicious! The bad part is that I have to order my BBQ sauce online from Iowa since no grocery store in Phoenix carries it.

JC316
01-31-06, 01:02 AM
Ulgh, I have had bad experiances with a fried turkey. Like really rubbery and not done experiances.