: Be glad you DON'T own a Toyota....

Night Wolf
01-29-06, 07:05 PM
So my friend has a 2000 Tundra TRD Access Cab. Pretty nice truck, I was around it everday for 2 weeks when in Hawaii. Has the 4.7 DOHC V8, 4x4 etc....

Well, he has had the truck a little over a year now, bought it with ~75k miles, it now has 92,500miles. He paid like $16k for it.

$700 seems to be the magical repair bill on this truck....

First were the rear brakes... since its special Toyota-only stuff, it is really hard to do on your own or something, so the dealer did the brakes... $700.

Then a couple weeks ago he took it in for the 90k service.. which is really nothing more then replacing the timing belt....

This is what I love... people complain about GM, and the coolant tabblets and what not... yet here on the Tundra, this needs to be done every 90k... most imports it is every 60k....

I was completly shocked when the bill for the timing belt, and a new water pump (he figured to have it done since it was right there) was $800! about $700 of that was the timing belt! This was required service.

Then the other day his check engine light comes on... he gets it checked out... its an O2 sensor... now Toyota knows about this problem, and they extended the warrantee on this from 60k factory to 90k miles... just for this O2 sensor problem.....

I am thinking... eh... not too bad.. the O2 sensor for both the 4.9 Cad and the 3800 Olds was $20 and it took about 15mins to change... it was easy....

HA!.... The Toyotas O2 sensor is about $120, and the truck has THREE of them! Not only that, but the one that is bad is on the left manifold (which happens to be cracked, BTW) and the threads are easy stripped and you can crack the manifold when you go to remove the O2 sensor....

so my friend called the dealer... the warrantee was extended to 90k and he has 92,500 miles now... go figure. They said they will goodwill the warrantee and do the work. Well, he went to go take it in, and the dealer said they will not warantee the work... so when he asked how much money it would be to replace it...

$700!!! My gosh... the guy said it comes in a "kit" and that is just ONE of the THREE O2 sensors! So my friend is going to check another dealer and contact Toyota of America to try and get it covered under warrantee.

This isn't the only work and repairs he has done to the truck either... just the big stuff.

The truck dosn't get all that good mileage either, for being a newer DOHC V8, over drive... it gets 16mpg town and 21 highway.

After hearing all this... it makes not only my cars repairs... but GM's in general seem like nothing....

It is also more factors in me deciding against the Tacoma as a next truck, and sticking with the Jeep.... The Tacoma has alot of these same things going on... I personally don't want to have to deal with timing belts that I can't change and mega-dollar O2 sensors... Yeah the Jeep 4.0 I6 may be an ancient tractor engine, but it dosn't have ANY of those problems... the Jeep as a whole dosn't have any of those problems... and while the I6/Wrangler is a bad vehicle for gas mileage... it gets the same as that Tundra...16/21mpg. Go figure that one.

Anyway... Here is the truck in question... Only thing i really don't like is the very soft styling of the nose... its nearly a direct copy of the 1997 Ford F-150.. nearly every other pickup from this generation looks better then these...

BTW, I was the camera man :) This is actually a still form the video... no we were not bajaing at 40mph... it was inching his way down and it was a ledge on the one side :) I would post the neat video but my website seems to be down for some reason :(

http://myspace-102.vo.llnwd.net/00151/20/12/151512102_l.jpg

http://myspace-781.vo.llnwd.net/00123/18/73/123963781_l.jpg

CMC
01-29-06, 07:18 PM
I would expect more repairs than that if he takes it flying very often!

My husband's Range Rover goes off road, but not off the ground altogether!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-06, 07:22 PM
No doubt that GM's repairs and maintenance (for the most part) are cheaper than Toyota/Nissan/Honda

Sandy
01-29-06, 07:28 PM
Toyota is very fair in their advertising. They tell ya right on it, what it is !
TURD (TRD)

CMC
01-29-06, 07:29 PM
Of course, but that's because GM cars aren't imported.

The same way it used to be cheaper for Rover parts here than for Renault or Citroen parts.

Pimpin_Whity
01-29-06, 07:46 PM
I would expect more repairs than that if he takes it flying very often!

My husband's Range Rover goes off road, but not off the ground altogether!!

i believe he said that it wasn't a jump, just one of his wheels was off the ground.

and another disturbing thing, my dad's friend loves rice so much he's paying $550 a month for a new Avalon :thepan:

CMC
01-29-06, 07:56 PM
i believe he said that it wasn't a jump, just one of his wheels was off the ground.

and another disturbing thing, my dad's friend loves rice so much he's paying $550 a month for a new Avalon :thepan:

Well may the point be made if you're going to use a car hard it comes back to haunt you when you need to repair it.

I'm not saying don't use the car as intended, thats just what we don't need, another "on roader", but if you want to use it like that you have to pay the price.

You must prepare for this!

Night Wolf
01-29-06, 08:09 PM
Read again, that WASN'T a jump.

Its a freakin "full size" pickup truck with the off-road package! Hardly considered being hard on it!.... Its a truck... trucks are made for either off-road use, or towing/hauling. The Tundra TRD is more of an off-road truck. Toyota knows about the problems, which is why they extended the warrantee from 60k to 90k on the O2 sensor. Either way, a 90k service woudln't matter if the truck is used off road, and the O2 sensor failed anyway...

his father had an old '95 RAM 2500... completley beat the hell out of, never did an maintenace (including oil changes... just added oil) and it served him for YEARS... his father runs his own construction business and the truck was a work truck. To replace the old RAM (which is still driving around by new owners) he bought a brand new Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison/4x4.... sweet truck, that truck also gets beat on and no problems. People on the Jeep site take their stock Jeeps off-roading all the time and have no an issue....

Toyota's high repair costs, crappy design of stuff... and all this fancy "new" stuff like timing belts and DOHC.... (hardly new) just suck. Its a nice truck, but I prefer the interior of a Silverado more.. fit and finish and all... isn't this where Toyota is supposed to shine?

"It's a Toyota, it'll last forever" Yeah, as long as you have $1,000 at a time to plop down on repairs.

I'll stick to GM/Ford/Chrysler.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-06, 08:16 PM
I'll take the F-150 thank you! :)

Jesda
01-29-06, 08:21 PM
I remember when Toyota trucks were good looking. The new Tacoma his hideous, and who the hell names a truck after one of the ugliest cities in the northwest?

CMC
01-29-06, 08:25 PM
I did read again, and I DID see that the car was only on three wheels, rather than jumping, I also agree that Toyota should honour the warrenty for the O2 sensor, but my point was that most off road vehicles are going to be expensive to maintain, and repair. Exceptions to this are, obviously US cars, they are domestic to that country. The same way a Nissan, Toyota or Honda are going to be cheaper to own if you live in Japan. It costs us a considerable amount for Cadillac parts, but we expected that being outside the country of origin.

Everyone is aware that imported cars cost more to maintain. This shouldn't come as a shock.

Kev
01-29-06, 08:34 PM
I did read again, and I DID see that the car was only on three wheels, rather than jumping, I also agree that Toyota should honour the warrenty for the O2 sensor, but my point was that most off road vehicles are going to be expensive to maintain, and repair. Exceptions to this are, obviously US cars, they are domestic to that country. The same way a Nissan, Toyota or Honda are going to be cheaper to own if you live in Japan. It costs us a considerable amount for Cadillac parts, but we expected that being outside the country of origin.

Everyone is aware that imported cars cost more to maintain. This shouldn't come as a shock.Your points are valid Claire with one exception in this particular case, the Toyota truck in question was manufactured here in the USA. That is not to say that all of the parts were made here as well. For that matter, neither are GM's parts and vehicles. Anyway, whenever an auto manufacturer builds propriety into their cars and trucks it spells out high parts and repair bills for us unsuspecting patrons. Go figure!

CMC
01-29-06, 08:43 PM
Thanks Kev, I am aware that that car was built in the US, but if I'm not mistaken, the domestic manufacturer will have a certain monopoly over it's suppliers in it's own country, and parts on foreign cars are higher, because the company is not domestic, and the prices for domestic parts are held on a false low. The foreign prices are probably not high, just that the domestic ones are low.

There's a phrase we have here, I'm unsure of it's use in America, but it goes as follows:

"You only get what you pay for"

I'm sure it will have a counterpart in the US.

Kev
01-29-06, 08:48 PM
There's a phrase we have here, I'm unsure of it's use in America, but it goes as follows:

"You only get what you pay for"

I'm sure it will have a counterpart in the US.Yes, ours goes like this; "You get what you pay for." :D :p :duck:

CMC
01-29-06, 08:50 PM
Yes, ours goes like this; "You get what you pay for." :D :p :duck:

Well, I can see how the phrases are related, although it's a hefty translation!

I was merely unsure if you used it there!

Kev
01-29-06, 08:54 PM
Well, I can see how the phrases are related, although it's a hefty translation!

I was merely unsure if you used it there!Oh yes, we use it often here, comes from the archaic language, English they used to call it, though it is hardly recognizable here at times....

CMC
01-29-06, 08:59 PM
Oh yes, we use it often here, comes from the archaic language, English they used to call it, though it is hardly recognizable here at times....

You think you have trouble! Try teaching it to the kids here. I once taught in a school in Newcastle, which is where my husband is from, and "Gerodie" is the broad accent found here in the North East, this is the home of the Geordie accent, so alot of the kids spoke with this accent.

"Hea Mrs Macombee, av got me hurmwork fer y', a cudnt dee the secind essay like, it was a bit tee hard for iz"

"Here Mrs. McCombie, I have my homework for you, I coudln't so the second essay though, it was a bit too hard for me."

Kev
01-29-06, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry Claire, I know sarcasm wasn't invented here in the States, we Yanks like to think we've perfected it though I believe abuse would be more accurate... :leaving:

Kev
01-29-06, 09:01 PM
You think you have trouble! Try teaching it to the kids here. I once taught in a school in Newcastle, which is where my husband is from, and "Gerodie" is the broad accent found here in the North East, this is the home of the Geordie accent, so alot of the kids spoke with this accent.

"Hea Mrs Macombee, av got me hurmwork fer y', a cudnt dee the secind essay like, it was a bit tee hard for iz"

"Here Mrs. McCombie, I have my homework for you, I coudln't so the second essay though, it was a bit too hard for me."You have Gerodie, we have Ebonics. I know what you mean!

CMC
01-29-06, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry Claire, I know sarcasm wasn't invented here in the States, we Yanks like to think we've perfected it though I believe abuse would be more accurate... :leaving:

:histeric:

You aren't so bad at it actually!

I've been presented with worse!

Is it true that subtlety isn't featured in American dictionaries either?

Jesda
01-29-06, 09:04 PM
"The life of the wife is ended by the knife."

Kev
01-29-06, 09:06 PM

You aren't so bad at it actually!

I've been presented with worse!

Is it true that subtlety isn't featured in American dictionaries either?The word is in there somewhere but you have to get one of those really thick ones to find it! :thumbsup:

Tough to pull off in writing, I make a terrific straight man, Bud Abbott would have been proud..

CMC
01-29-06, 09:08 PM
You have Gerodie, we have Ebonics. I know what you mean!

Indeed!

The Geordie accent is mainly Newcastle, the biggest North Eastern city, the other cities accross the country have their own accent and dialect.

Bimingham: Brummie
London: Cockney
Manchester: Manc
Liverpool: Scouse
Leeds: Yorkshire (which is the area Leeds is in)

Also North Eastern:

Sunderland: Mackem
Middlesbrough: Smoggie

I took a course a few years ago that featured Ebonics!

CMC
01-29-06, 09:11 PM
The word is in there somewhere but you have to get one of those really thick ones to find it! :thumbsup:

Tough to pull off in writing, I make a terrific straight man, Bud Abbott would have been proud..

It is difficult to do, particularly on a Message Board such as this, you never know when someone is going to take your statement the wrong way :rolleyes:! Although these little icons work great for that, and it's nearly at the point where I reach the magic 50 posts where I can use the without having to guess the shortcut for them, or remember the ones from my husband's account!

CMC
01-29-06, 09:14 PM
"The life of the wife is ended by the knife."

Not this wife :sneaky:

Kev
01-29-06, 09:18 PM
You go Claire, only two to go!

CMC
01-29-06, 09:19 PM
All done!!

I believe you were looking at my age :sneaky:

CMC
01-29-06, 09:20 PM
Apparently, not, do I have to activate them?

Kev
01-29-06, 09:22 PM
All done!!

I believe you were looking at my age :sneaky:Oops! I've been caught for sure! Now you can send and receive PM's as well. Not to mention, you've blown out your hubbie's posts per day! At this rate you're soon to be queen of the forums! Of course you may have some competition with Julie Boombotz there. :D

Kev
01-29-06, 09:24 PM
Apparently, not, do I have to activate them?You mean the smilies? Have you clicked on the (More) option in the smilie section?

CMC
01-29-06, 09:25 PM
My posts equals and exceeds my age, oh dear!

Forum queen, i think B has that title, and I'm sure all he forum bachelors agree!!

I haven't seen Julie around for a while actually, maybe shes lurking? Tell us if you are Julie!

CMC
01-29-06, 09:26 PM
They work now! :cloud9:

Kev
01-29-06, 09:28 PM
My posts equals and exceeds my age, oh dear!

Forum queen, i think B has that title, and I'm sure all he forum bachelors agree!!

I haven't seen Julie around for a while actually, maybe shes lurking? Tell us if you are Julie!LittleB hasn't been around that regular lately either. Boombotz is logged in, no telling which one or maybe they are both viewing.....hmmmm.....

Kev
01-29-06, 09:40 PM
Hey Claire, if you'd like to be able to send and receive provate messages be sure to check the 'enable' box under options in your UserCP.

Night Wolf
01-29-06, 10:27 PM
I remember when Toyota trucks were good looking. The new Tacoma his hideous, and who the hell names a truck after one of the ugliest cities in the northwest?

the new Tacoma is still growing on me... but the last gen... the '01-'04 more specifically is freakin perfect! It is my favorite small pickup truck (with the Dakota after that) The styling is so nice... everything about it.

I like the '01-'04 Tacoma SR5 TRD Xtra Cab, 3.4 DOHC V6, 5spd. That is the truck that was going against the Wrangler.... and I actually preferred it for a bit, but the Jeep came back and won me over :)

Plus, IMO Tacoma is a really cool name :)

Still my favorite small pickup truck.... and the pickup I'd really want to get... nearly getting ahead in the Taco vs. TJ war :)

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/469/833271_4.jpg

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/469/833271_12.jpg

http://photos2.ebizautos.com/469/833271_15.jpg

caddeville
01-29-06, 10:30 PM
As much as i do not like japanese cars, i like the tundra. My dad has a 2004 tundra, and the 2005 F-150. The F-150 has the 4.6 V8 (there's 5.4 V8 also), and the tundra has the 4.7 V8. I'd rather take the tundra because it is more powerful, not as road noisy, and much more comfortable. I would NEVER go to the dealer for repairs. They are a big rip off and the brakes can be purchased @ lordco, B&J autoparts etc. As far as the O2sensor, we sold a 2003 tundra single cab and it has 96,000miles and no problems. She came to my dad for ALL repairs. I'm with you guys on the Price on parts!! Rotor for my caddy is 10$ (my cost), tundra is 75$ (my cost). I get a 14% discount at lordco.

Kev
01-29-06, 11:00 PM
Oh man! That's right, this thread was about Toyotas! Sorry about the little detour there Rick. :o

Night Wolf
01-29-06, 11:25 PM
lol :)

CMC
01-30-06, 02:34 AM
Yeah sorry about that :p

davesdeville
01-30-06, 03:53 AM
My uncle has a Taco.

Why the hell do they even bother putting a back "seat" in there? Can't even stick a dog back there much less a human bigger than Kate Moss.

mccombie_5
01-30-06, 05:28 AM
Claire has a terrible habit of going off topic!

Then again Im as guilty as she.

It will cost more to repair, the costs of owning a foreign car.

Jesda
01-30-06, 06:07 AM
My dad is happy to no longer own a Toyota. Transmission failed on his 99 Camry at 99k. He sold it for what he could and bought a W124 MB on eBay.
Same for my aunt, whose Lexus ES had an engine failure after only three years of ownership. I think its a fluke, but her late 80s Caravan is still running on the original drivetrain (gave it to one of the kids). They took that thing all over the country.

Both cars dealer maintained on schedule and babied the way older folks do. Lame!!

mccombie_5
01-30-06, 06:21 AM
It doesnt surprise me.

Try having the head gastket fail on a 30,000 car three months after you bought it :rolleyes:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-30-06, 05:00 PM
Craig you're back!!!!! :D :D

Destroyer
01-30-06, 05:24 PM
I think the Tundra is a fine truck. This thing has 90k miles and some probs.....big deal. My wife has an '00 Camry that we bought new and it has not been to the dealer even once in all if its 44k miles. All I have done to it since new is replace the battery/filter and of course the oil every 4k miles. Thats what I do like about the car. There is much about that I dont like, the tin can construction for starters......................