: Low Key Vs at DC Auto Show

crowan
01-29-06, 05:40 PM
Perhaps it is a sign of the financial hard times at GM, but their exhibit space at the Washington, DC Auto Show was cramped and uninspiring. The Cadillac section had the entire V series, but the CTS-V and the STS-V received received no special display prominence or signage and were just parked on the floor like an afterthought. The XLR-V was on a platform that was poorly positioned for viewing the car or attracting foot traffic.

Likewise, Chevy's space was cramped and bland. The new Z06 was parked on the floor and difficult to see because it was surrounded by SUVs that towered over it.

However, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep spared nothing in highlighting their hot iron (including the spectacular Challenger concept car) with a large, well designed series of displays. The new Jeep SRT-8 is one tough looking ride, and the sliver blue metallic 300 SRT-8 was a real head turner. The color and quality of the paint was so good that it made me forget the "bling factor" that makes me think twice about buying the car.

Overall, the XLR-V was gorgeous but I was disappointed in the STS-V. The seats were not nearly as comfortable as the CTS-V and the wood trim does nothing for me. The interior did not seem to carry through on the V theme at all.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if I was in the market for a slightly larger car with an automatic, I would take the 300 SRT-8 over the STS-V. However there is still nothing on the market that compares to the CTS-V.

CR

homer403
01-29-06, 06:18 PM
After finally seeing the LS-2 is the CTS-V.. and then in everything thing else, I now believe we LS-6 owners have something special :cool2: .

Drift-caddy
01-29-06, 06:29 PM
Yea went today, nothing great but was ok.

01-29-06, 07:16 PM
I went today too. I agree completely with Crowan. Caddy, and all of GM, was laid out incoherently. Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler, on the other hand, made it seem like their display was a carnival and their cars were the thrill rides. Every flavor of SRT-8 was out on the floor and available to play with.

Electric powerwagon rides for the kids, a NASCAR simulator, and a "camp jeep" 4x4 ride, not to mention the Xboxes gameplay, were all free at the Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge display if you were willing to wait in line. GM? Well if you could find it, you got to sit in a 'vette. If you asked, they would give you a plastic bag to carry your brochure.

The new Letsgetlade looks nice, I'll admit. The STS-V? Eh. Automobile magazine just reviewed it (January 2006), and not too favorably. Best quote in the article though was regarding the CTS-V: "...a noble, competent, and entertaining effort that is ultimately compromised by unattended details."

They only got 5.3 sec 0-60, and 13.9 for the quarter at 105mph for the STS-V. No comments re:wheel hop. Said it can't compete with Europe's best (meaning M5 and E55AMG), and that it is not quite ready for prime time.

I would expect nothing less from such a euro-centric car mag, but I was surprised at the numbers.

CIWS
01-29-06, 09:25 PM
Sounds like GM doesn't think DC is much of a market for their V series. They've made strong showings at the other shows, so it makes me wonder how they view that market ?

BigPapaH
01-29-06, 09:46 PM
Omaha just had its new car show. I am sure it is not nearly as big as the DC show, but we didn't have any V cars here. Caddilac only had an Escalade, XLR, STS, SRX and CTS. The STS, SRX and CTS were all 6 cylinders. Talk about a poor showing. If I didn't know the CTS-V existed, I would never think about looking at Cadillac.

01-29-06, 09:51 PM
Sounds like GM doesn't think DC is much of a market for their V series. They've made strong showings at the other shows, so it makes me wonder how they view that market ?

That's a fair point; the DC show has always been "second rate" compared to NY, LA, Detroit, etc. But the basic mfr. show displays are the same city to city, and they just tour the country. So, DC, Boston, Philly, Denver, SF, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc., should all be basically the same.

At the 2004 Washington Show, the tables were turned; Caddy and GM were showcasing the V series, the Cien, the XLR, the Sixteen; it was an awesome display of the winds of change at Caddy. I don't even recall the Chrysler display. Since then, though, the GM and Caddy displays have been increasingly unimpressive.