: What problems should i look for?

clashmin
01-29-06, 05:15 PM
I have decided to go with the V over the Porsche- Now i have to start looking (I like the red with black interior) and I want to know about some of the items to look for- things that may be an indicator of something bad. Also, what is the warranty?
Thanks, Dave

verbs
01-29-06, 05:19 PM
4yrs/50k miles.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and get a 2006 version. If you're going to start modding you'll see better results with the LS2 compared to the LS6.

Do a search and you'll see people having issues with their radiators, differentials, wheel hop, and navigation buttons.

If used, when taking a test drive listen for clunking of the rear end. If the rear end is clunking a ton, it could be on its way out soon.

heavymetals
01-29-06, 05:27 PM
Post the vin# of the car your interested in.

There is a supporting member that will most likely post the history of it.

GAGS-V
01-29-06, 05:43 PM
Great choice! I know you are going to have a blast with your pick (and maybe even four of your best friends at the same time)! As posted, get the extended warranty and just go have fun with this car.

CIWS
01-29-06, 09:44 PM
If you're going to buy used, oh wait "pre-owned", like others have said get a VIN and post it and more than likely someone will run the report on it just to make sure it's history is clean. Also consider an extended warranty from Cadillac to cover it beyond the factory 4/50K. Or Certified Pre-Owned if coming from a dealership.

But don't get redline/infrared they suck and are not the fastest

;)

Actually Red w/ Ebony interior is Ok, it keeps mine a little more rare.

Redline w/ Light Gray

rand49er
01-29-06, 10:38 PM
Welcome aboard! Definitely take it for a ride, and, as suggested above, listen to the differential ... listen for a whine around 45-50 MPH under slight load (so I recall someone saying). Other than the other suggestions already mentioned, do the regular stuff: ck oil color/level, look the drivetrain over from below for drips or obvious damage, sight down the sheet metal for waves indicating a fenderbender, etc, etc. Then, swallow hard and make a commitment ... you will love it. Finally, go out and get an aftermarket shifter ... best mod, hands down.;)

kjr39
01-29-06, 11:41 PM
Make sure that you take it up past 60 and listen for the whine.

FWIW, I have an '06 and am on my 2nd diff... The whine started at 55+

You made the right choice. I haven't looked back and get a smile on my face every time I drive it.

BadCad
01-30-06, 08:44 PM
But don't get redline/infrared they suck and are not the fastest

Yeah! Stick with Platinum and feel the superior difference... :stirpot:

globed70
01-31-06, 10:37 AM
Have a professional look for bodywork issues... you can find a perfect car for a good deal, don't settle for undisclosed accidents. If you are neurotic, look for an original owner sale... you may feel better about the background of the car. With a warranty in place, you should feel pretty good about the mechanics of the car. You could propose a full inspection by your local Caddy dealer... the ones who will service it for you... they may feel some level of responsibility if you buy the car. The red is nice, I would guess black or silver (with black) interior would be the most desired in the used market (this isn't muscle cars, so the rare color combinations don't really matter). Good luck. Dan

Dave-V
01-31-06, 11:08 AM
You made the right choice but a '98 C2S would have also been nice. My '04 has been trouble free for 30K. Replaced a diff and tranny seal at the 30K service. I bought mine in '04 with 11K from my dealer with the 6 yr 100K warranty. I recommend an '04-'05 LS6 and the warranty. GM has been making a 16V pushrod V8 for quite some time. In my opinion, less moving parts = less stuff to break. Mine has never leaked or burnt a drop of oil. I am very happy. Just my $.02.