: Need advice RAT ate my V

chet
01-29-06, 12:37 AM
You won't believe this but a *ucking rat chewed about 20 wires in the wiring harness just in front of the drivers side front tire. This harness plugs into the bottom of a box behind the front bumper. It ate 4 inches of one wire clean off. It also ate the battery cover.

I spliced the wire back and taped the worst of the chew marks. My questions is what would you do? Should I make a claim on my insurance.
Or just go on with life. It looks like it would be a major deal to relpace this harness.

There is a good side to this story I killed the basterd. I flushed it out with a garden hose while my wife smacked it with a broom. I went nuts when when I saw that sucker. I practly broke the broom on it when it was my turn to make sure it was dead.

heavymetals
01-29-06, 12:44 AM
If none of the strands are broken, then a re-dress of each wire is ok.
Use a good electrical tape.
Splices should be done with a proper splice (the crimp and heat shrink type are great for this).

You should post this as a Kill :thumbsup:

willsctsv
01-29-06, 07:15 AM
Solder, and heat shrink.
As fo the rat, I'm always looking for technicians. You need a job??? We kill plenty of rats here in NYC... Good salary, IRA, benefits, company vehicle........

urbanski
01-29-06, 08:01 AM
that's the PCM harness
car stil run?
it would be a major deal to replace it...i like the solder/heat shrink ideas.

c5racr1
01-29-06, 10:28 AM
get a new harness some of these wires have specific resistance built in for tuning, such as the front 02 sensor wires. you can try that cut and splice stuff but it will come back to bite you with that particular harness. probably when you are right in the middle of no-where!

DILLIGAF
01-29-06, 01:03 PM
Damn dude,how long was your car sitting?I've had that happen to my stuff too but it was because I left it out in the pasture for a month.

chet
01-29-06, 02:34 PM
This sucker was in there for about a week. I actully thought it was living somewhere in my garage where I had baited, but one day my wife said the V
was slow to start. So I go start it up and the check engine light is on and the water temp info was nill. Every thing else worked.

I would prefer to change the harness. Can it be changed without engine removal? What would be a fair estimate for labor and hours (NorCal)?

It was movie quality stuff when we flushed it out. 7pm dark, rain in a upper
class suburban neiborhood, when I saw it come out I started screaming at it at the top of my lungs (cus words). My wife runs after it up the street a bit,
then it does a u turn and runs right between her legs and down the street a few feet where it met the broom.

Chet

wildwhl
01-29-06, 02:44 PM
So a big block (insert favorite BBC vehicle here) ate your small block V? :histeric:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Personally, clear items out of the way (seat, etc. if necessary) and plan on a good hour or so with a soldering iron and some shrinkwrap. Done properly it will be as good as new.

2 hours tops including beers :alchi:

c5racr1
01-29-06, 03:45 PM
get the harness and plug aqnd play, no beers

Playdrv4me
01-29-06, 04:41 PM
So a big block (insert favorite BBC vehicle here) ate your small block V? :histeric:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Personally, clear items out of the way (seat, etc. if necessary) and plan on a good hour or so with a soldering iron and some shrinkwrap. Done properly it will be as good as new.

Probably better... :hide:

heavymetals
01-29-06, 04:56 PM
If you can post some pics of the damage it would be helpful in some recomendations.

dqw1
01-29-06, 07:06 PM
Glad you two got the SOB Rat.
But that was funny story.