: Maybe I SHOULD take a GTO for a spin.

Rickerbucks
01-28-06, 05:50 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1736672447988253834&q=top+gear

This a (always) fun report from the British show, Top Gear.

Of course they do not sell them in Canada

:-(

CIWS
01-28-06, 05:55 PM
haha- No way- they put the bloody steering wheel on the wrong side of the car....

;)

Katshot
01-28-06, 07:31 PM
Yes, you should! The car's a blast to drive! My ONLY negative about the cat is the trunk. It's TINY because the gas tank's there. Wow, I just happened to think, you can probably put all the Monaro stuff on the GTO to butch it up a bit. Hot stuff. I like the Japanese driver's first comment "good car"! And I like how they said it'll do 180mph! WOW!

f2000keith
01-28-06, 08:01 PM
I heavily considered it. Although you get the downlookers who claim it's an insult to the original GTO, it's still a lot of bang for the buck. I think Pontiac would have sold more if it wasn't named GTO.

Koooop
01-28-06, 08:13 PM
I don't know if it's true but I've heard sales are up since the 2005 came out. The early cars were boring. The '05 is much better looking and has the LS2.

The '05 can't suck, Dan Gurney drives one.

Caderac
01-29-06, 12:18 AM
:yawn:

AmesCTS-V
01-29-06, 03:19 AM
Considering they made less 05's than 04's I don't know how you'd say sales are up? As far as looks the 05's are a hood and rear trim away from an 04 and at this point most 04's look like 05's.

V-Max
01-29-06, 10:59 AM
The trunk is small and barely fits a suit case. On the road most don't even know what it is here in the US. Those that remember the GTO scoff at it. But then you have to explain to them the GTO was made out of the mundane Pontiac Tempest.

The Tempest /GTO was also sold in Austrailia and never stopped in the 70's when the GTO nameplate was dropped in the US. So this is what has evolutionized if US kept the nameplate.

If you look at the C5 design you'll notice similar styling ques. That because the GTO was redesigned in '97 with updates since. So the body doesn't have the edgey look of the latest C6 or the CTS. The '05 GTO hood and rear clip does bring some nice updates, along with the LS2. The '04, regardless of color, does look dated and bulbous. Reminds me a little of the Grand Prix of the '97-'03 era.

'05 sales are down about 2K units compared to '04. But the last part of '04 GM allowed around 30% off on the $33K car. C6 sales are down almost 3K units but they sell twice as many making the GTO even more of an exotic on the street. Especially when I go to Canada. I get stopped at the border for an extended conversation everytime I cross. I never recieved so many, "what is that?!" comments and thumbs up on the highway.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=6&docid=21738

Norm

VelodromeRacer
01-29-06, 12:58 PM
I traded in my 2004 GTO for the v, and at times I miss the GTO! I had a 1999 and a 2003 GTP before that, so I never minded the GTO looking like one, it was nice to finally have a 4 seat 350hp rear drive car! My GTO was one of the first cars in the US, and while I am a fan of the old GTO cars, I never pretended that my 2004 had the same character that they had, it was more of an attention getter than the V though! (I think so many people confuse the V with the ever popular CTS, until I start it up!)

The GTO got even better in 2005 with the LS2 and split exhaust, it just seemed that unless I was going to strip the car down for track time, It just still didn't have some things we all get used to in our cars! The back seats had alot of room, but getting to them was a real pain! No heated seats, no exterior temp, slow electric seats, no trunk space..just a hard car for a guy with 3 young kids to keep! Brakes were small also, 9.5 inch rotors and after a track day, you had the HP to pull away but always got outbraked.

A fun car to drive though...I hope they can find a way to improve sales and keep it! (I sold my mods on that car to buy my Corsa exhaust for the V)

Katshot
01-29-06, 03:14 PM
There's no doubt about it, the V has everything the GTO has and then some with none of the drawbacks. If you can afford the V, and don't mind it's few "issues", it's definately the ticket for an American-made 4-door sports car.