: unchanged SP wires longevity?

samm
01-28-06, 12:12 PM
will unchanged bad spark plug wires ruin the N*? i havent had the money to fix it yet and its been stuttering for like 3 months now. about 5K on it since then. is this really that bad?

Ranger
01-28-06, 12:24 PM
I don't think it will "ruin" the engine but, I'd fix it ASAP.

samm
01-29-06, 04:55 AM
roger, thanks ranger

jadcock
01-29-06, 12:12 PM
While it may not ruin your engine, it can definitely ruin your catalytic converter. A spark plug wire that is faulty means that cylinder is passing a lot of unburned fuel to your catalytic converter, which can burn it up pretty quickly. I'm surprised it's lasted 5000 miles (the converter), if it really is an ignition miss that's causing the stutter. It could be something completely different.

samm
01-29-06, 02:53 PM
well ya, it could be something else. it has the resemblence to a faulty fuel filter as in other cars i have driven. but the symptoms that i have are pretty much identical to others that have posted in here that ended up being faulty spark plug wires. especially with mine having 126k on it now.

jadcock
01-30-06, 11:23 AM
At that age, it could certainly be the wires. I wouldn't change out known good wires just because of their mileage, but with a driveability problem like that, they're certainly suspects.