: Problems Starting...

tru504187211
01-28-06, 11:59 AM
I had an alarm put in the car a few months back in fall and since then I have had some intermittant problems starting the car. Today, I go to start the car for the first time in 2 weeks and all I get is lights coming on and clicking from somewhere...If I hold the key in the position where I am trying to start it, the clicking continues for about 5 seconds until it fades out...

So I try to pull the codes by putting the paperclip in the top two right hand slots of the ALDL and each time they both make contact I hear a fainter single click from somewhere, but no codes.

I had the battery and the alternator checked after the first incident...which was solved by removing the battery, taking it to get it checked, putting it back in and the car starts right up. The alternator was checked to be running strong.

AFter this, I took it to the stereo shop that put it in and the guy said that he ran all these tests and could not find anything wrong. He did suggest some other performance type battery as a replacement, even though he said nothing appeared to be wrong with the battery.

Any thoughts??

DaveSmed
01-28-06, 12:04 PM
Look under your dash by the column and see if you can spot something that looks like this:

http://www.route66supply.com/store/media/10098.jpg

Hold it and see if you can feel if thats the component thats clicking.

tru504187211
01-28-06, 12:07 PM
Look under your dash by the column and see if you can spot something that looks like this:

http://www.route66supply.com/store/media/10098.jpg

Hold it and see if you can feel if thats the component thats clicking.

Going out to check now...I'm guessing its a new component from the alarm setup that should be underneath the dash by the steering column??

ocjmakaveli
01-28-06, 01:33 PM
This sounds like a classic condition of loose/bad battery contacts or a failing battery.
Check the connections properly and clean them or best would be to replace them and the battery posts for clean tight connections.

tru504187211
01-28-06, 02:15 PM
Update: purchased an Optimum red top battery...it started right up...lets see if it solves the problem completely...

DaveSmed
01-28-06, 08:14 PM
Cool, glad you got it working.

BTW, I don't mind anyone contacting me through AIM, but I was out most of today. Sorry about that!

tru504187211
09-10-06, 04:42 PM
Hmmm...many months later and all of a sudden, no changes made since the new battery, and the car does not want to start after I unlocked the car via the alarm and then tried to start it. I disconnected the battery, reconnected it and...it started???

Any thoughts???

Thanks!

brougham
09-10-06, 05:37 PM
What happens if you just lock the car with the power door lock button and unlock it with the key like normal? It sounds like either they screwed something up when you got that alarm put in or the starter is going bad.