: Our house is like a Mercedes.

Jesda
01-28-06, 03:31 AM
Looks great, cost an arm and leg, falling to pieces. Woke up to this dripping on my face last night:

http://q.spilky.com/leak.jpg

In addition:
Back in 03 a pipe burst, flooding a room that stored expensive artwork.
Garage door opener failed in 05, failing again.
One toilet is no longer working!
Miscellaneous leaks in the ceiling downstairs, evidenced by moisture stains, including the one above.
Other misc plumbing problems.

Now there's a cup on my bed collecting water droplets, and I'm sleeping on my other bed.

addison_ii
01-28-06, 12:53 PM
Better hope it's not a case of "Dark Water" :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-28-06, 01:19 PM
I would say its more like the DSM of houses....

Destroyer
01-28-06, 11:24 PM
WTF does a POS house have to do with a Mercedes?

Vesicant
01-29-06, 01:07 AM
Funny, our house was made by Mercedes ... well... Mercedes homes

and its done a similar thing to whats going on now, but only during heavy rains or hurricanes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-06, 02:11 AM

Uhhh ok, he was making a joke about his house being expensive and having some problems...like an older Mercedes Benz or actually any older, expensive car would work here....

Jesda
01-29-06, 05:47 AM

They have a lot in common. :)

Note that the house isn't more than a decade old and cost nearly 3 mill. Sad, really. Its like the new S-classes with massive electrical issues.

davesdeville
01-29-06, 05:50 AM
I was expecting it to have serious electrical problems.

Jesda you suck :p

CMC
01-29-06, 08:48 AM
Haha Jesda!

Our house is in the middle of works, the main part of it is solid, it was built around the 1850s we think, but the newer extensions are in need of some work, mainly with floors sagging, so the upstairs floors in those rooms are having to come up!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-06, 10:55 AM

Note that the house isn't more than a decade old and cost nearly 3 mill. Sad, really. Its like the new S-classes with massive electrical issues.

$3,000,000 wow.... I guess that explains all the nice cars you've had :)

Spittin Game
01-29-06, 02:26 PM
$3,000,000 wow.... I guess that explains all the nice cars you've had :)

:histeric:

Spittin Game
01-29-06, 02:31 PM
whats the outside look like?

CMC
01-29-06, 03:10 PM
I believe Jesda's family own their own business. You will also find that no matter how much you pay for a house, it doesn't come better made, just with more rooms!!

My husband designs homes for people, and they often specify that most unusual things for their homes.

Jesda
01-29-06, 05:10 PM
I moved back in with the parentals in '03 to finish college. I'm a perpetually broke college boy who mooches off the rich when they feel like giving. :) On TV, the children of wealthy parents get new Porsches and spend all day on the beach. They dont have to work for their parents to earn gas money so they can drive their 16 year old cars to school.
TV, you LIED to me! I want a refund!

The dripping mysteriously stopped.

Destroyer
01-29-06, 05:21 PM
Note that the house isn't more than a decade old and cost nearly 3 mill. Sad, really. Its like the new S-classes with massive electrical issues.Well whatever. The S-classes do have electrical issues but they dont leak like that:eek: . I run into this kind of thing all day with shoddy construction on newer homes. Are they better than older homes? Yes, much stronger structurally but way to often the builders cut a lot of corners.

CMC
01-29-06, 05:28 PM
It's the reverse in the UK. Homes are being designed much more efficiently, but builders cut corners, it used to take a long time to build a house, now they seem to be "thrown up" and walls are so thin, with smaller rooms.

I like our house, the main part was designed in the 1850s! The later ones are from between 1980 and now, and because Craig is an architect, we can have anything we want added to it. The pool is just needing finishing touches!

slk230mb
01-29-06, 06:20 PM
It's the reverse in the UK. Homes are being designed much more efficiently, but builders cut corners, it used to take a long time to build a house, now they seem to be "thrown up" and walls are so thin, with smaller rooms.

I like our house, the main part was designed in the 1850s! The later ones are from between 1980 and now, and because Craig is an architect, we can have anything we want added to it. The pool is just needing finishing touches!

We need some pictures of the McCombie Estate.

CMC
01-29-06, 06:28 PM
We have some, I'll try and find them, some relatives took them when they stayed here.

I can show you the guest suite right away I have those photos to hand?

CMC
01-29-06, 06:40 PM
This is the guest suite in the attic of our home. The suite consists of two bedrooms and a bathroom. Here is the master bedroom and shared bathroom.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/Guestbed.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/Guestbath.jpg

Eric Kahn
01-29-06, 06:44 PM
Here is my house, built in 1921, only leak I have had so far was around one of the chimneys because they did not reflash it when the house was re-roofed
http://home.fuse.net/kubla/house1.jpg

CMC
01-29-06, 06:51 PM
Thats a sizeable house there Eric!

I like how most American homes have a basement. Ours doesn't, when we bought this house it had a cellar, but ground floor was perished, so it was filled in, and now we haven't got one, I would love one!

Eric Kahn
01-29-06, 06:59 PM
Its not as big as it looks, it is only 1 room wide, 15 feet, it is what they call a "shotgun" house since when it was built, all the doors lined up and you could shoot a shotgun through the house and not hit anything

its also split into a 2 family now, 3 room apt up stairs and I live downstairs with the basement giving me more room

I like it because it is solidly built compared to some of the houses built now
and because it came with this
http://home.fuse.net/kubla/house2.jpg
My eldorado hides behind the left side door, I need some new pics, the doors were replaced last year and no longer have windows in them

CMC
01-29-06, 07:01 PM
I see!

I would never have guessed from the side view though, and a double garage is always a bonus!

My husband designed our home, basically we bought a farm with a couple of barns, and joined the farmhouse and the main barn up with a new building back in the early 80s.

The farmhouse was a floorless, roofless shell when we bought it, I shall have to get some photographs!

Eric Kahn
01-29-06, 07:10 PM
I wish I could have bought a farmhouse, but I work in the middle of Cincinnati Ohio, and I did not want to drive 30 miles or so everyday to work, my house is 7 miles from work right now, I think the next one will be farther out

CMC
01-29-06, 07:14 PM
Oh, I have a 35 miles drive to get to my school every day, and Craig has about 11 or 12 miles to get to the city.

We were very lucky to get this house, although we lived in a caravan (trailer in the US) for a while whilst it was being finished. Before we had a very boring bungalow in a street full of pensioners, now we know we have something that is unique and could not be recreated.

Jesda
01-29-06, 07:37 PM
http://jesda.spilky.com/house.jpg

Property values are, in my opinion, overinflated here. Yes, its dirt cheap compared to NY, LA, Seattle, and the like. But St Louisans pay a premium to live in this section of town, and it doesnt make much sense. Me, I'd buy a few acres 40-60 minutes outside of town, in the middle of the woods or a prarie. I'd build a 10-car garage with a lift and have room for my beagles to run around and kill rabbits.

CMC
01-29-06, 07:47 PM
What a lovely home Jesda!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-06, 08:10 PM
That's a very nice house Jesda! It's a very traditional design, looks very solid!

What do your parents do again?

(sorry if you took my prior comment with offence, thats not how I meant it :) )

Jesda
02-01-06, 12:10 PM
What do your parents do again?

Cardiology and commercial property investment. I keep nagging mom to write a will... ;)

I came back to this thread hoping "Claire" didnt remove the pics!