: can't decide- porsche or cadillac

clashmin
01-28-06, 12:41 AM
I am looking to purchase either a CTS V or a Porsche Carrera. About the same price and same miles (2004/5 CTSV or 2000/1 Carrera- both with about 20k miles). Does anyone here have experience driving both? All opinions are important!
Thanks,Dave

1MEANV
01-28-06, 01:02 AM
Come On Man. A Caddi Of Coarse

04CTSVFLA
01-28-06, 01:11 AM
porsche.

SoCadillac
01-28-06, 01:43 AM
Porsche

f2000keith
01-28-06, 02:14 AM
I love my V, but I lust to own a Porsche someday.:worship:

Mutlu
01-28-06, 02:17 AM
If you want a Porsche you have to get at least a 2002 or newer. I used to own a 2000 Cab and had a bunch of problems.

I just recently bought a 2001 Boxster S for my dad and had brought it in for an oil change. I talked to the service reps there asking if the problems I had were still around and he told me that the 02 models and above received a big power boost and are better cars because the timing was done right as well.

If you're looking at 00/01 Porsches then you likely looking to spend in the low 40s so you could even get a 05 V with probably less miles. If you need 4 doors then go with the V. If you don't need it then spend a little more and get a 02 or newer 996.

01-28-06, 07:28 AM
this is kind of like asking whether you should purchase a floor polish or a dessert topping. These two cars have little in common. First you oughtta determinewhat "type" of car that you want/need (and nobody here can tell you that), then find the car that best fills that need.

Comparing a Carrera to a CTS-V is pointless. While they are both great crs, they are VERRY different and are in different market segments with much different "competition." If I didn't need a 5-seater I might not have looked at the V.

Devil_concours
01-28-06, 07:29 AM
i heard that reason the earlier carerras are cheap is because they're not so reliable.

My vote goes for the v.

CIWS
01-28-06, 07:30 AM
this is kind of like asking whether you should purchase a floor polish or a dessert topping. These two cars have little in common. First you oughtta determinewhat "type" of car that you want/need (and nobody here can tell you that), then find the car that best fills that need.

Comparing a Carrera to a CTS-V is pointless. While they are both great cars, they are VERRY different and are in different market segments with much different "competition." If I didn't need a 5-seater I might not have looked at the V.

:yeah:

clashmin
01-28-06, 10:54 AM
I like the input. I need two seats all the time with a third for a kid occasionally. Honestly, love porsches and own one. I also race rx7's in SCCA Club racing. My interest in the Cad has been that i have never owned a V8- or anything with gobs of torque- so it intrigues me. I also like that i get a newer car, with warranty,Nav etc for the same money as the older porsche. PROBLEM: I will most likely end up with an '04 if i go with the Caddy and I have heard all kinds of stories with the inability to get the power down and the stupid 1st to 4th shifting. What are your thoughts on these problems?

2004ctsv
01-28-06, 11:00 AM
I am looking to purchase either a CTS V or a Porsche Carrera. About the same price and same miles (2004/5 CTSV or 2000/1 Carrera- both with about 20k miles). Does anyone here have experience driving both? All opinions are important!
Thanks,Dave

Repeat after me "A Cadillac is not a Porsche"
Say that 10 times

Now say "A Porsche is not a Cadillac"
Say that 10 times.

Don't confuse the two very different cars

This is my rifle
This is my gun
This is for fighting
This is for fun

It's a bad analogy but the concept is the same

Good luck in your choice

T

In Blitzburgh, we're ridin' THE BUS

CIWS
01-28-06, 11:03 AM
1st to 4th can be solved by an iCAGS from StealthV http://www.stealthv.com/cagselim.htm

Have you driven a V yet ?

51PHFTY
01-28-06, 11:10 AM
I have owned three Porsches. The last one I had was a '99 Carrera which had a few mods. I didn't drive it much and I sold it when I bought the "V". Both are great cars, but the Porsche was very uncomfortable sitting in L.A. traffic. For me, the Cadillac is the perfect combination of power and handling while being able to seat the family. I also like doing minor work on my cars myself and there is not much you can do yourself on a newer Porsche.

The Porsche will cost you more $$ in repairs, insurance and maintenance, but a clean one will hold its value a lot better than the "V".

BTW: My last Porsche had wheel hop also.

Hope this helps.

Marty

lasstss
01-28-06, 11:19 AM
To each his on on this one. What I cannot believe its that this company has been getting away with the same cockroach design with grouper eyeballs for the last 30 years. Time for a design overhaul. Get a caddy, at least the neighbors wont think your'e a snob.:stirpot: And you wont have a car that sounds like a lawnmover.
Sorry, not a Porche fan at all, but its a free country.

clashmin
01-28-06, 11:20 AM
I know that the Porsche and Caddy are not exactly in the same genre, but don't forget what the caddy was designed to race against (see picture). Thes caddy, based heavily on the stock chassis, has beat the pants off of porsches all year. What are all of your experiences with cost of maintenance and repairs- i don't like the fact that an oil change in the carrera is over $250.

CIWS
01-28-06, 11:23 AM
My local dealership charges 75.00 for an Oil and Filter change. That's for 6-7 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic. If you do it yourself it can run 25-35.00.

SoCadillac
01-28-06, 11:40 AM
Unfortunately, and provided you have also joined with a Porsche board, you'll probably get the same feelings toward both from the two different boards: You'll have Porsche haters/lovers and CTS-V haters/lovers. If you are trying to enter these leagues on shoestring budget and haven't budgeted for the real-cost of owning either of these automobiles, then maybe neither one is good choice.

LV_V
01-28-06, 12:36 PM
If you don't go with the turbo, get the V. If I had the choice between a 996 and a V, I would still choose the V. On the other hand, the turbo is quite a bit more expensive. The 996 just doesn't have the power I feel a Porsche needs. (BTW My dream car is a Gemballa Turbo)

SoCadillac
01-28-06, 12:47 PM
(BTW My dream car is a Gemballa Turbo)
Mine is a RUF...

Devil_concours
01-28-06, 12:54 PM
mine is enzo

chesrowncadillac
01-28-06, 02:31 PM
I sell the Cadillac have owned both. Do a forum search for the 911 we may have a wheel hop problem, but the Porsche suffers a RMS fail rate that is excessive. RMS=rear main seal of engine.
This is an expensive repair once out of warranty. If you do any research you will find it is due to the design of the engine crankshaft supports not doing there job.
This problem from what I have read even affects the new 997.
My 14000 mile 2002 911 had to have it done, then I sold it.

heavymetals
01-28-06, 02:40 PM
Buy the Porsche.

Then everytime you see a V on the road you can wonder what it would have been like...:histeric:

Better yet, go drive a V, then you will know.

04CTSVFLA
01-28-06, 02:40 PM
u guys say...some of th earlier porsches are unreliable, well imo ALL of the Cadillac CTS-V's produced in 04 and 05 are just as if not more unreliable btwn the diffs, the radiator, the wheel hop, the creaks, the nav buttons etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. LOL

arr0gant
01-28-06, 02:41 PM
If you're looking for a weekend-summer, 2 door race-sportscar that drives like a go-cart and connects you to the road like telepathy but gives you NO room, is loud, whiney and u feel all the bumps, get the Porsche.

If you're looking for an everyday, confortable, roomy, elegant, powerfull, 4 door sedan that coddles, dampers all the outside noises and bumps but does not connect you to the road like a porsche, get the V.

I own a Boxster S. It feels alot like a 911 (slower and handles better) but built really similar (same brakes, gearbox but better balanced). When I get in the Porsche, I love it but it gets old fast. I get back into the V and I feel comfortable again....then the weekend comes and it's nice out. I drop the top and the feeling is exilerating. The way it connects you to the road, the car is simply amazing. I'd still stay with the V if I could have only one. I'd live with those days that I'd long to drive the Porsche and can't.

Smarter to buy the V and they are ALOT of fun (not as fun as the Porsche) but overall, the Porsche is just a toy, the V is a serious everyday car.

CIWS
01-28-06, 04:46 PM
Bah, get a Lexus IS 350. According to their TV commercial it's the fastest car in it's "class" ;)

01-28-06, 06:01 PM
Mine is K.I.T.T.

Z06CTSV
01-28-06, 08:11 PM
Porsche. Had a 911T in high school. Used to piss off the teachers. Loved it.

Joe
New Orleans

wooderson
01-29-06, 10:30 AM
The Rear Main Seal is a serious problem as Chesrown Caddy mentioned earlier. A friend of mine is currently on his fourth motor.

arr0gant
01-29-06, 10:43 AM
The Rear Main Seal is a serious problem as Chesrown Caddy mentioned earlier. A friend of mine is currently on his fourth motor.

Simply make sure [a]the car is under warranty or [b]the rear seal has already been fixed.

alcast082
01-29-06, 11:23 AM
JUST GET A NEW CAYMAN.
Getting a 2000 911 is going to be pretty expensive to maintain. Look at the investment in terms of future costs and it will be cheaper to get a newer car that is under warranty, IF not go to swapalease.com and jump on a lease.
most guys have 15 to 20 months left and you will pay around 700 a month.
Try it out if you like it you can always do the same with another.

dannystang
01-29-06, 11:37 AM
Just looked up the cayman S alcast...

The reviews look good...

But 60k for that kinda power?

On the downside review says next year they come out with the "poor" mans cayman...which i guess devalue the cayman...

arr0gant
01-29-06, 11:39 AM
While a Cayman is really nice, it's not (nor is a Boxster) a 911. He may be going for that 911 pedigree. Besides, a Cayman (well equipped) is going to be 65K+ The 911 and V will be about 40k. So I think that rules out the Cayman. A 2000 911 will not be expensive to maintain as long as it is purchased from a Porsche dealer with certified warranty (which WILL cover the rear-seal).

dannystang
01-29-06, 11:46 AM
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=195150708&dealer_id=613165&car_year=2002&search_type=used&make=POR&distance=0&model=911TURBO&address=33126&advanced=&certified=&max_price=&bkms=1138552861512&min_price=&first_record=276&end_year=2006&start_year=2002&isp=y&pager.offset=275&lang=en&cardist=36#vdptop

Well 140k new...

I dont feel so bad about my V's depreciation now...

Edit.

Nevermind the new z06 smokes it

Geno
01-29-06, 01:31 PM

Comparing a Carrera to a CTS-V is pointless. While they are both great crs, they are VERRY different and are in different market segments with much different "competition." If I didn't need a 5-seater I might not have looked at the V.

:yeah:

kgoch
01-29-06, 01:46 PM
I would go with the V. I traded a 2000 Carrera in on a 04 V. The V does everything the Porsche did, but now I can carry 4 people and 4 sets of golf clubs.
k

thefred
01-29-06, 02:02 PM
Like everyone else says, it depends on what you want. I have a 1988 911 that I used as a daily driver for 5 years and then decided to make it my blue Sunday car. Unfortunately, I now drive it less than 1,000 miles per year.

When I started shopping for a CTS, I immediately decided against the V because I didn't want to shift (remembering my experience with the 911 as a daily driver.) Now I am rethinking my decision on the CTS because I'm sure the shift isn't as "bad" as it is on the 911. I would buy a V tomorrow if I could locate a reliable Cadillac delaer in Atlanta that would stand by its product and not constantly try to fleece its customers. (Anyone found one in Atlanta yet???)

So, if you only need two doors and want more of the constant ass-dragging on the ground feel of a sports car, buy the Porsche. But for more of a refined comfortable feel, go with the V.

jimbo1320
01-29-06, 04:14 PM
Well ! I can't resist putting my thoughts into this discustion. Last week I looked at the CaymanS, its the only Porche that excites me. There was a black one and a silver one. Both looked great, seating fit me well. Better than the Boxter, and had better overall ergonomics, for me at least. Two things reached out at me. One the $59,000 base goes to $70,000 real fast and the shifter seemed on the spongie side. Kinda like our "V" s before upgrading to B&M or other.

I told the sales man I would be back to test one. Thats what he gets for wanting my e-mail.

Stick whith the Caddy unless you can afford both.

Jimbo1320

arr0gant
01-29-06, 05:25 PM
Well ! I can't resist putting my thoughts into this discustion. Last week I looked at the CaymanS, its the only Porche that excites me. There was a black one and a silver one. Both looked great, seating fit me well. Better than the Boxter, and had better overall ergonomics, for me at least. Two things reached out at me. One the $59,000 base goes to $70,000 real fast and the shifter seemed on the spongie side. Kinda like our "V" s before upgrading to B&M or other.

I told the sales man I would be back to test one. Thats what he gets for wanting my e-mail.

Stick whith the Caddy unless you can afford both.

Jimbo1320

LOL, when did this become about a 65k CaymanS? The dude is looking at 2000/1 911 and a 2005/5 V. Both in the 40k range.

Devil_concours
01-29-06, 05:27 PM
fyi, Cayman lacks lsd. I think they might have purposely left it out to not match carerra's performance.

ctsvett
01-29-06, 09:52 PM
I cant decide on an Apple or an orange.. What do you guys think I should eat?

I'm just giving you a hard time... I obviously chose the V. I have nenver regretted the decision. I have driven some very nice Porche's in my life, but I want something that is bigger inside (see- "rear doors") and still fun to drive...

My girlfriend wants a Porche one day, so I might end up with a Cayenne (yes an SUV) or 911. I am still trying to get her to look at an escalade and not just shake her head.

Reed

arr0gant
01-29-06, 10:28 PM
I cant decide on an Apple or an orange.. What do you guys think I should eat?

I'm just giving you a hard time... I obviously chose the V. I have nenver regretted the decision. I have driven some very nice Porche's in my life, but I want something that is bigger inside (see- "rear doors") and still fun to drive...

My girlfriend wants a Porche one day, so I might end up with a Cayenne (yes an SUV) or 911. I am still trying to get her to look at an escalade and not just shake her head.

Reed

My rule-of-thumb, if you can't spell it, you shouldn't drive it. Good thing V is easy to spell. :)

ctsvett
01-29-06, 11:30 PM
I dont speak german.

Reed

Dave-V
01-30-06, 11:19 AM
I had a '95 C2 and a '00 C2, both coupes. I prefer the driving character of the V to the '00 but not the '95. The V is at least as stiff and at least as fast from stoplight to stoplight. I did not personally have any problems with either 911 but they are inclined to leak oil. The oil changes are expentive because they use 13 quarts of synthetic but you only need to change it every 15K. The '00 uses less oil because it has a radiator. The A/C is great on the '00 and noy very good on the '95. However, I did not care for the seats on the '00 but loved the seats on the '95. I am 6'3" 220#. If I were going to buy a 911, I would buy a '98 C2S. It has the brakes, suspension, and body of the Turbo without the turbos. I need 4 doors so I drive a V. If you need 4 doors buy the V. If you can get away with 2, get something with 2. You will eventually need 4. BTW, a 96-98 911 TT can be found in the 60 area. A 98 and 00 are both in the 30s. A 05 V is also in the 30s. There is a lot of value in the V.

SoCadillac
01-30-06, 11:40 AM
And of course some of the Cadillac componants speak for under engineering.
To be fair, how long has Porsche been refining this model? The CTS-V has been out how long? Considering the timeframe, on the CTS-V it is pretty amazing for its first offering.

Both automobiles are worth owning, it is just a matter of this particular buyer weeding what subjectively works best for him.

Koooop
01-30-06, 07:27 PM
The answer is clear!

Get both.