: Just bought my first cadillac, an 83 Coupe DeVille need help.

mlj427
01-26-06, 08:10 PM
Hello
I'm going to change plugs,wires,cap,rotor,filters (air,fuel,oil),it looks like there is some scale on the water pump so I will change it too. This car has 115000 miles on it only 7000 since 1997 when the owners husband died. Anything else that you would do to get it right? Once I get it going and fix the code 24 speed sensor then I will get the headliner replaced.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Mike

Night Wolf
01-26-06, 08:20 PM
You have the HT4100.... you'll soon find out its a very disliked engine :)

coolant change must be done every 2yrs/24k miles and the coolant supplement MUST be added. That is the single best thing you can do for that engine. Otherwise I'd say your pretty cover.

Have any pictures?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-26-06, 08:23 PM
Well first of all let me say I love the 80-84 CDV's and 80-85 FWB coupes!

What do you think of your new car?!

And secondly, you must change the coolant on your car just as Nightwolf said, and you must add the coolant supplement pellets (they're available at the local dealer) otherwise the HT4100 (and 4.5 and 4.9 and even the Northstar somewhat) will develop coolant leaks through the engine block. GM knew that coolant would leak through, which is why they made the Coolant Supplement Pellets.

mlj427
01-26-06, 09:06 PM
Love it so far. The interior is perfect except the headliner no cracks anywhere. I hope the tune-up takes care of a slight miss. I will put in the pellets with the water pump. And I hope I can get rid of the service soon light,the code 24. If I can find out how to download pictures I'll give it a try.
Thanks
Mike

durrk
01-27-06, 01:16 AM
congrats on your coupe, I just got one myself.... :highfive:

Do I also have this "disliked" engine?

And where do you get these "pellets?"

Sorry fellas, Im an idiot when it comes to cars and Im not sure what the hell is going on with my car or what I should be doing to it.

creeker
01-31-06, 10:31 PM
Hi, I think most people would agree that a tranny flush would be very important. As already said taking care of the cooling system is very important with the 4 point motors.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-31-06, 11:24 PM
Do I also have this "disliked" engine?

And where do you get these "pellets?"

You have an '80 Coupe deVille right?
If so, you dont have the disliked engine. You have the good old cast iron 368 small block. That's a very reliable motor. You dont need the pellets. They're only for the aluminum block engines that started production in '82.

Benzilla
01-31-06, 11:40 PM
Hello
I'm going to change plugs,wires,cap,rotor,filters (air,fuel,oil),it looks like there is some scale on the water pump so I will change it too. This car has 115000 miles on it only 7000 since 1997 when the owners husband died. Anything else that you would do to get it right? Once I get it going and fix the code 24 speed sensor then I will get the headliner replaced.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike, welcome to the club :) . as long as your good to the HT4100 it will be good to you(that means no nascar sh*t). other than that I know you will love your new caddy, the coupes are gorgeous. you should post some pics so we all can enjoy it. heres a pic of mine
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/82f14c1c.jpg
By the way, where can I get these "pellets" and how much do they cost?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-01-06, 12:00 AM
You can pick them up at the local Cadillac dealership, they cost around $5 for two of three of them.

davesdeville
02-01-06, 12:56 AM
You have an '80 Coupe deVille right?
If so, you dont have the disliked engine. You have the good old cast iron 368 small block. That's a very reliable motor. You dont need the pellets. They're only for the aluminum block engines that started production in '82.

You're right on the rest of the post, however the 368 is in the same family as 425/472/500s, IE big block.

Nice looking coupe Benzilla.

Benzilla
02-01-06, 01:17 AM
You can pick them up at the local Cadillac dealership, they cost around $5 for two of three of them.
how many do I need? and do you just put new ones in when you change your coolent or do you need to drop a few in from time to time ( I only drive it like 3,000 a year absolute max).

And thanks for the compliment davesdeville, I put a lot of work into that car and I love it :)

gdwriter
02-01-06, 01:53 AM
By the way, where can I get these "pellets" and how much do they cost?

I just had to replace the radiator in my '91 DeVille with the 4.9. I bought a pack of six GM supplement pellets from my local Cadillac dealer (Power Auto Center, Corvallis, OR) for $4.00. Pretty cheap insurance.

I told the mechanic putting in the radiator to put 'em all in the lower radiator hose.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-01-06, 11:43 AM
You're right on the rest of the post, however the 368 is in the same family as 425/472/500s, IE big block.

Nice looking coupe Benzilla.

Ah yes, I just figured because it was under 400cid that it was a small block.

And yes that is a VERY nice looking coupe! Actually both of your D bodies are great looking!

Benzilla
02-01-06, 06:05 PM
Thanks :) I thunk I might start a thread on it so you guys can see what all I've done for it.(and all its done for me)

but nobody did ever really answer my guestion about the pellets, do you put them all in at one time? and do you have to put more in from time to time or do you just change them when you change the coolent? I really want to get this right.

mlj427
02-01-06, 08:35 PM
Hello
The pack says to put in the whole pack (6 tablets) in a full radiator. I have not had a chance to try it . But I did get rid of the code 24 a wire under the dash was touching the metal and blowing the fuse. I bought the tablets at a chevy dealer they cost $4 the cadillac dealer wanted almost $7, the chevy was closer. I will send some pictures when I find out how.
Thanks
Mike

Benzilla
02-01-06, 08:52 PM
Ok, thanks for the info :) I guess I'll go pick some up the next time I'm out.

Big_Blue
02-04-06, 12:11 PM
Make sure you wrap the pellets in a paper towel and crush them.Before placing them into your radiator cause if not then can clogg your thermo

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-06, 12:12 PM
Make sure you wrap the pellets in a paper towel and crush them.Before placing them into your radiator cause if not then can clogg your thermo

Oh crap! I put mine in solid!

KaddyKat
02-04-06, 01:47 PM
sorry if I missed this answer, but exactly what are the pellets supposed to do?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-04-06, 03:37 PM
They prevent coolant leaks. I guess you could say that they plug up minute little wholes in the aluminum engine.