: coolant and tranny fluid.

AKPsiMC03
03-12-03, 05:42 PM
I'm going home this saturday to flush my coolant and change the tranny fluid.

On the car it says to use the GM coolant additive... is that nesecary cus of the alumimun heads? Or is GM jsut trying to sell me an expensive bottle of stuff i dont need?

Tranny fluid: anything i should look for when doing this? Any special steps? Should i check anyhting on the valve body if i have the pan off?

elwesso
03-12-03, 08:00 PM
GM coolant pellets- those are necessary. You dont have to get the GM brand. At autozone and other places, they have this stuff that is called something like gold bar or something.

When you change the tranny fluid, do you plan on dropping the pan? If so, wouldnt be a bad idea to clean or replace the filter. Also consider using synthetic.

AKPsiMC03
03-12-03, 08:13 PM
what are the pellets? other brand names?

elwesso
03-12-03, 08:16 PM
The pellets are the coolant additives that GM recommends. They are especially important for the aluminum block. They seal little cracks and holes in the cooling system.

jadcock
03-13-03, 10:33 AM
I would recommend the GM cooling system pellets. They're only 4 bucks or so at the dealership. That way, you know you're getting the right stuff. Bars Leaks is supposed to have the same thing, but only one of their products. Some of the BL stuff is much different. I dunno -- I just use the GM stuff because I know it's right. Just drain the system and refill with the pellets -- no need for any flushes.

As for the tranny, it's just Dexron-3 as far as I know. Check your manual to be sure. Get a filter/gasket kit at either the dealer or your local retailer. Aftermarket should be fine here. They're usually cork gaskets -- I've used those many times before with good results.

Good luck, and don't get too messy! :)

AKPsiMC03
03-13-03, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by jadcock

Good luck, and don't get too messy! :)

awww... thats the fun part! :banana:

elwesso
03-13-03, 03:37 PM
He said TOO messy!

kempie
03-13-03, 10:31 PM
Id use the GM pelletts. They dont turn the coolant brown. Be sure to place them in the lower rad hose to disolve and not in the overflow tank. They wont get properly into the system if you put them in the tank.
Save your newspapers for the floor for the filter change. I have never changed the tranny filter on anything without making a mess of at least me.
Good luck...

76eldorose
04-11-06, 01:02 AM
hi im rose my problem is the im puting 2 gallons of dex-cool every week when i gun it it burns faster where is it going? there is none in sight ,no leaks. told i need a new moter. or is it because im a girl quoted 7,000 to fix. new engine please help 1996 seville also own 1976eldo convertable and a 89 bourgham arruora nothstar engine1996

JimHare
04-11-06, 08:44 AM
"Show me a Rose, or leave me alone.." - Bert Kalmar & Harry Ruby, 1922

Rose, welcome to the forums. Read up on the archives if you're so inclined, you'll learn a great amount.

First, TWO GALLONS A WEEK? You sure you're not missing the radiator and pouring it on the ground? :)

Your somewhat exorbitant quotes may well be due to your chromosome difference from the weaker sex (us guys). $7,000 should buy a new motor, new interior, new tires, new transmission, a MAACO Ambassador paint job with your choice of color on the chrome, and probably an air freshener thrown in to boot.

If you are loosing that much coolant every week, it's gotta be going somewhere. Take your car to a qualified (Read: Different) mechanic and ask them to check all the radiator hoses and connections. It may be leaking out of one of the hoses when under pressure and hot, and blowing away in the slipstream while the car is moving.

Ask them to check the area around the water pump. A gasket there that leaks could also be the culprit.

I'd think that if your car had a SERIOUS problem, that it would be exacerbated over time and get worse and worse - is there any white smoke blowing out the tailpipe? Does the car's coolant temp show an alarming tendancy to climb to stratospheric heights?

PLEASE get a qualified 2nd or 3rd opinion before you succumb to the blandishments of what appears to be a cousin of Jesse James before you replace the motor or sell the car.

zonie77
04-11-06, 10:29 AM
AKP, the filter is a metal screen, just needs cleaning. There is a bolt hidden behind the screen that drains the upper portion of the trans.There are links with pictures but I think it was a 10mm head. Someone may have a better description. The pan gasket should be reuseable if it's original (it could be getting hard).

While you have the pan off check the solenoids for cracking. They should not wiggle.

zonie77
04-11-06, 10:33 AM
Rose, there are a ton (or close to it) of posts about coolant/overheating. Take a look at them.

It's a good idea to start a new thread if you want more help. Title it something that relates to your problem.