: Old BMW as second car? (Pics, 56k friendly)

Jesda
01-26-06, 02:57 AM
I'm thinking about buying this as a second car. 1990 BMW 525i, manual transmission.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0140.jpg
Door panel.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0127.jpg
Scratches.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0128.jpg
Fairly decent seat.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0126.jpg
The paint is actually pretty good. The car has a thick layer of dust on
it and lots of handprints. It all looks easily cleaned up.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0130.jpg
The rear passenger side door has a trim piece that came off. Needs glue
or complete removal.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0133.jpg

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0129.jpg

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0143.jpg
Nifty arm rests.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0142.jpg
All power windows work.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0131.jpg
All options work.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0141.jpg

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0139.jpg
More scratches. The lower part of the door is just really dirty.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0132.jpg
Headliner drooping a bit in the rear.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0137.jpg
The spots I wiped the dirt off of look pretty good.

http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0138.jpg

Video clips of the engine and such:
http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0134.MOV
http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0135.MOV
http://q.spilky.com/90-525/100_0136.MOV

Asking price $2000. I got him down to $1800. All accessories work fine. No error messages. No leaks. No suspension noises. Drives great. Needs a wash, claybar, buff, and wax. Has 200k, new clutch and timing chain. There's a ticking at startup that goes away after it warms up. I assume its just HLAs. There's also a small exhaust leak. Should I go for it?

Playdrv4me
01-26-06, 03:25 AM
Uhh.. duh... its a bimmer. :p

Night Wolf
01-26-06, 04:58 AM
Uhh.. duh... its a bimmer. :p

Yup, so expect alot of electrical problems, the car to break often and parts to be very expensive :).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-26-06, 10:01 AM
I would never buy a Bimmer as a second car, actually come to think of it, I wouldnt buy one as a primary car.

FSU_Noles
01-26-06, 12:52 PM
I would never buy a Bimmer as a second car, actually come to think of it, I wouldnt buy one as a primary car.

:yeah:

DaveSmed
01-26-06, 01:00 PM
Maintence should really be the deciding factor with a used BMW. Check the service records and make sure everything was done on time, and your bound to get a decent reliable car. If it was just in the shop when it stopped starting in the mornings, your setting your self up for trouble buying that one. These things are extremely picky about that.

mccombie_5
01-26-06, 01:20 PM
I drove one of these for a few months, its a good car, the one I drove was 12 years old and that was back in 2002, so a similar age, and I liked it alot.

Expensive for a service and parts probably will not be cheap there either.

Claire.

DaveSmed
01-26-06, 01:24 PM
I drove one of these for a few months, its a good car, the one I drove was 12 years old and that was back in 2002, so a similar age, and I liked it alot.
Expensive for a service and parts probably will not be cheap there either.
Claire.

Ah yes, parts.... Forgot about that one. Heater core for my Caddy that is almost 40 years old: $50 Heater Core for my old E30: $156. Not sure on labor, I did everything myself.

mccombie_5
01-26-06, 01:33 PM
Ah yes, parts.... Forgot about that one. Heater core for my Caddy that is almost 40 years old: $50 Heater Core for my old E30: $156. Not sure on labor, I did everything myself.

The one I drove was a friend's while my car was off the road, when one of my girlfriends crashed it. We didn't have to fix or service anythign, and in the five months I drove it nothing went wrong. I didn't want to give it back.

LittleB
01-26-06, 02:17 PM
The one I drove was a friend's while my car was off the road, when one of my girlfriends crashed it. We didn't have to fix or service anythign, and in the five months I drove it nothing went wrong. I didn't want to give it back.

YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :band: :wes: :gnome: :cheers:

How are you feeling? :D

Jesda
01-26-06, 02:35 PM
The parts costs dont bug me too much. I was a Q45 owner for three years. The question is how much of it is DIY?

gothicaleigh
01-26-06, 02:37 PM

Depends upon the year. Mid-nineties to near current, I would agree with you. But from the early eighties to nineties, they are above and beyond the crap that most other companies (*cough*Cadillac*cough*) were shoveling out the door.
In regards to BMWs, the older the model year, the more of a joy it seems to be. In fact, many owners of two models in the same series will almost always tell you that they prefer their older models to the newer ones.

I drive an e30 for a daily. The old bimmers are great, run near forever, and are not plagued by the problems of later generations. Make sure the maintenance has been done and enjoy. :)

Kev
01-26-06, 02:58 PM
The one I drove was a friend's while my car was off the road, when one of my girlfriends crashed it. We didn't have to fix or service anythign, and in the five months I drove it nothing went wrong. I didn't want to give it back.YOU'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :band: :wes: :gnome: :cheers:

How are you feeling? :DMegan, I think that is Claire, she mentioned Craig might be in the hospital till early next week, though we can hope it to be sooner for sure.

I think she might be referring to the loaner she drove after her off-roading adventure?

Night Wolf
01-26-06, 03:59 PM
Depends upon the year. Mid-nineties to near current, I would agree with you. But from the early eighties to nineties, they are above and beyond the crap that most other companies (*cough*Cadillac*cough*) were shoveling out the door.
In regards to BMWs, the older the model year, the more of a joy it seems to be. In fact, many owners of two models in the same series will almost always tell you that they prefer their older models to the newer ones.
I drive an e30 for a daily. The old bimmers are great, run near forever, and are not plagued by the problems of later generations. Make sure the maintenance has been done and enjoy. :)

I guess all 3 of my cars all under the "crap" category.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, about this car in particular... it has obvisouly been keyed on both sides.... the headliner is falling, some interior parts need to be fixed... and the car looks like it wasn't taken care off too well judging by how dirty it is outside.... and the interior... very dirty.... So you would basically be buying a car that someone kinda beat on instead of a car that someone took pride in owning.

LittleB
01-26-06, 04:00 PM
Megan, I think that is Claire, she mentioned Craig might be in the hospital till early next week, though we can hope it to be sooner for sure.

I think she might be referring to the loaner she drove after her off-roading adventure?

Oh OK, I remember her saying he might possibly be out Monday but just thought it was him.....oh well!

Playdrv4me
01-26-06, 04:32 PM

I agree, I dont wanna hear crap about expensive BMW parts cost when my 01 330i NEVER had a single component fail nor did my 740iL, BUT an AC fix for my current caddy could run in the 12-1700.00 range if it fails, headgasket fixes can be 2000.00 and up, and sealing the lower half of the engine can set you back a whopping 4k.

Go ahead and call BMWs out for being expensive to fix, but dont think for a minute that Cadillacs are any better. I was QUITE surprised to hear that some parts on the caddy cost MORE than their respective parts on a Mercedes-Benz, which is going to hold its value better and be more worth fixing in that alone.

ANY BMW inline six is a FAULTLESS powerplant if it were even remotely maintained, forget stupid coolant pellets and etc etc... so long as the owner kept the oil changed on even a semi regular schedule and didnt do any major damage to it, the 2.5L engine will run for 100s of thousands of miles with minimal repairs. The 3.0L is very similar, also the early 90s cars as weve discussed before Jesda, did not have the Nikasil bores which were so problematic on mid 90s cars. The transmissions are usually pretty good, and all of the interior fixes can be done out of a junkyard as that body style is readily available. I would imagine that youd be spending about the same on a yearly basis with that BMW as you did with your Q.

DaveSmed
01-26-06, 04:43 PM
I agree, I dont wanna hear crap about expensive BMW parts cost when my 01 330i NEVER had a single component fail nor did my 740iL, BUT an AC fix for my current caddy could run in the 12-1700.00 range if it fails, headgasket fixes can be 2000.00 and up, and sealing the lower half of the engine can set you back a whopping 4k.
Go ahead and call BMWs out for being expensive to fix, but dont think for a minute that Cadillacs are any better. I was QUITE surprised to hear that some parts on the caddy cost MORE than their respective parts on a Mercedes-Benz, which is going to hold its value better and be more worth fixing in that alone.
ANY BMW inline six is a FAULTLESS powerplant if it were even remotely maintained, forget stupid coolant pellets and etc etc... so long as the owner kept the oil changed on even a semi regular schedule and didnt do any major damage to it, the 2.5L engine will run for 100s of thousands of miles with minimal repairs. The 3.0L is very similar, also the early 90s cars as weve discussed before Jesda, did not have the Nikasil bores which were so problematic on mid 90s cars. The transmissions are usually pretty good, and all of the interior fixes can be done out of a junkyard as that body style is readily available. I would imagine that youd be spending about the same on a yearly basis with that BMW as you did with your Q.

Interesting... Is the prices for parts alone, or parts and labor for the repair? I typically found domestic parts to be much cheaper on average, due to interchangability between platforms allowing affordable aftermarket support via reman units and whatnot. I agree, its probably going to be on par with the Q as far as parts prices go, and DIY was actually very forgiving on mine IF you knew the stupid little trick to everything. The manual transmission cars seem to be the ones to get, as the autos tend to be a little funky by design.

DBA-One
01-26-06, 04:48 PM
Hey Jesda, would you ever consider buying a car with less than 100,00,000,000 miles on it? I wouldn't touch this thing unless the service file was as thick as War and Peace.

There was another dude on a board not too long ago. Scored an '88 750il (V12) for 800.00 bucks! The original ask was 1800. The car tested fine. A few days later the tranny let go. The tranny repair far exceeds the value of the car so it was junked. Basically he paid 800.00 plus tax and registration to drive a heap for a few days. Not much of a deal if you ask me.

Playdrv4me
01-26-06, 05:01 PM
Interesting... Is the prices for parts alone, or parts and labor for the repair? I typically found domestic parts to be much cheaper on average, due to interchangability between platforms allowing affordable aftermarket support via reman units and whatnot. I agree, its probably going to be on par with the Q as far as parts prices go, and DIY was actually very forgiving on mine IF you knew the stupid little trick to everything. The manual transmission cars seem to be the ones to get, as the autos tend to be a little funky by design.

The problem with the NS is you CANT DO alot of stuff yourself because its an aluminum engine with honed surfaces etc. The case half reseal, while not a huge deal, requires removing the engine and something like 12 hours worth of labor in addition to the cheap cost of the anaerobic sealant.

Even WITH labor, I never had quotes that high for anything that might have been an issue with my 330. Maybe 7 or 800.00 for AC repairs, 1500 for a rear end job etc. The sticker shock I get when I see what other members on this forum have paid to get their NS cars fixed, and these are members who are knowledgebale DIY'ers in most cases, is quite surprising.

Dont get me wrong, I love my STS even more than alot of the German stuff Ive always had a soft spot for. But it really shouldnt be this expensive to maintain a vehicle that is nothing more than a fancy Aurora. And with THAT being said, jumping all over a BMW for being expensive to fix is simply not fair and completely biased.

Night Wolf
01-26-06, 06:33 PM
What can't you do on the N* by yourself? head gaskets? They can be done....

the case half seal is a weak argument.

stupid pellets and stuff? oh well... I'd rather have to simply add some pelletes to the coolant when I change it every 2 years then have to change the timing belt on imports every 60k miles... THAT is stupid.

Its hard to compare Caddy to MB or BMW as far as parts and working on... besides the Northstar, which I don't seem to find it difficult to deal with, and the struts, it is a typical GM car.

Parts are cheap. water pump for all 3 of my cars are right around $35. A set of good spark plug wires for the Coupe? $40. For my friends 4banger Jetta? $90. Same brand. Go figure.

If ya'll like the BMW I6 and how wonderful they are, then good. But trying to say they are better then the Caddys on the Caddy site just isn't working... the current discussion is about repairs and cost to fix and such, NO German car should be standing up for itself in that argument.

Sorry, but I'll keep knocking German cars for their cost to fix and difficulty to work on. I have had first hand experience with them and they suck.

Lets compare some "regular" cars. Replacing the water pump on my '89 Oldsmobile, 3800 V6. Remove 2 nuts holding the coolant/washer fluid resivors in, and the w/p is right there! Thats it. Unbolt the water pump and put the new one on. I did that whole thing in less then an hour, it was amazing.

My friends '94 Jetta? 2.0... Heh, when the water pump on there went, ALL acceccories had to come off.... alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor.... then remove a bunch of other stuff, and finally you get to the water pump... but not before the big shocker! The timging belt pully ran in front of the w/ which means the timing belt had to come off, then that pully, THEN the water pump came out.... turned into a 12+ hour deal from a STUPID design. Every German car I have seen is just like this.

Its funny to mention the Seville STS is nothing more then a fancy Aurora... well, besides the fact I like the Aurora a whole lot and would take it over a German car.... how is that different then an Audi/VW? they look nearly identical outside, inside, share the same engine.... rather amusing....

mccombie_5
01-26-06, 06:34 PM
Megan, I think that is Claire, she mentioned Craig might be in the hospital till early next week, though we can hope it to be sooner for sure.

Alas, it was me, Claire.

I was wondering if that little field item would pop up, no it was a few years ago, my friend Alison crashed my Mercedes Benz CLK320, it was off the road for a long time for various repairs, and her husband loaned me his 535i whilst the CLK was repaired.

My husband is going to be allowed out of hospital on Monday.

I agree that, BMW should not be hammered for being expensive to fix, all good items are, servicing for a premium product of any sort is always going to be expensive.

It costs alot to service a Rolex, doesn't mean they make bad watches.

Claire. (Sorry, my typing was terrible in my earlier post, and my punctuation was non-existant, even English teachers forget when they are typing!)

Jesda
01-27-06, 01:19 AM
Thanks for all the input guys! I bought the BMW and it is now sitting in my garage. I guess I'm glad I didnt get the Lincoln, not because I think its a lesser car, but because the guy who bought it PMed me and said it was in poor shape, mechanically.

DaveSmed
01-27-06, 01:33 AM
Ah, the VW 2.0 ABA code engine.... what a heap! Never liked that engine too much (or VWs either for that matter) But that is one thing that really caught me off guard. BMW is definitely NOT like VW as far as repairs go. I actually LIKED working on my E30. Cost to fix was a biggie though. I can see engine repairs being rather reasonable compared to the N* labor wise, due to the "correct" (;)) orientation of the engine. But as I mentioned before, the cost of parts usually balances things out. (like either are gonna be cheap, there both luxury cars... :histeric: ) Where BMWs labor time typically increases would be with dash/interior work. Cadillac is typical GM ease of access (...usually) and is pretty intuitive to take apart. BMW (and VW) are more that if you don't know the EXACT way BMW wants you to take it apart, your not getting it apart. It isn't exactly easy to figure out a lot of it either. BMW also requires more special tools because of this, making many repairs dealer only trips. Running into those situations sucks, as I have had to make my own tools for a few things, bringing the BMW's DIY ability down quite a bit. BMW's I6 IS a damn good motor though, that I must give it credit for. I've seen them things running like brand new with a bajillion miles on them. Must be a slant six thing or something...

I dunno, I guess my point is, each one has its strong points, just as each has it's downfall, just like with anything else. (except VW, they still just simply suck.) My BMW had a bunch of thought and design put into some weird areas on the car, which led to overengineering in some cases and a dependence on special parts (tolerance wise usually) and tools. My Cadillac is MUCH less picky, typically interchangability is there between others in GMs lineup, but damn. Whoever thought putting your Sevilles alternator THERE was a good idea needs to be shot. Oh and parts? want a laugh, check out what they want for a set of E30 spark plug wires....

(Note: the above directionless rant was based on the ownership of two old ass cars that probably bear no relation to anything made in say.. the last 20 years or so. Weigh the rambling viewpoint appropriately. :) )

Oh, forgot to mention, there is something to be said for timing belts, as the REAL fast cars use them. But they are a PITA in a cramped little engine bay that some careless individual installed the engine SIDEWAYS in... Who does that? ;)

70eldo
01-27-06, 05:06 AM
Jesda: Go down to $1500. It doesn't look too well taken care of... At least you got some buffer for surprises then.

Jesda
01-27-06, 05:51 AM
Jesda: Go down to $1500. It doesn't look too well taken care of... At least you got some buffer for surprises then.

I bought the BMW and it is now sitting in my garage.

:)

Night Wolf
01-27-06, 07:07 AM
Well, congrats on the new car :) It's a 5spd, and I like/want a manual... so I am kinda envious :)

70eldo
01-27-06, 08:07 AM
Sorry Jesda. I missed the second page in the thread... :D
So you bought it for $1800? Still an ok deal then. I bought my 70 Eldo for $1800 in 1999 from the first owner. Some magical price, huh?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 10:38 AM

Yeah, but it goes deeper than reliability and build quality for me though. They may be fantastically built cars, and a true "driving machine" but I dont like BMW's because everyone and their mom owns one of some sort. I see it like "Hey look at me and my cool new Bimmer." I certainly don't mean to offend any of the BMW diehards on here (if there are any) but if you're just buying the car for the image, and you never drive it to it's potential....well then thats what aggravates me.

That being said, I think the BMW 7 series is a pretty damn good executive sedan. The 7 Series is one Bimmer that I kinda like! :)

Of the three flagship german companies, I like Mercedes Benz the most, than Audi, then BMW.

Pics, Jesda, Pics!!

Night Wolf
01-27-06, 04:11 PM
To defend BMW and MB.... I'll say this much....

I don't mind the 80's cars THAT much.... in the 90's when they turned into yuppie-mobiles is when I disliked them.....

with that being said... something I have kind of always wanted is a late 70's- late 80's MB Turbo Diesel..... tanks that ran forever... 500k miles was the norm for them :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 04:40 PM
Yeah Those M-B turbo diesels make the 3800's look unreliable! :shocked:

Along with the Ford 4.9, Jeep 4.0, 350, 302...... ;)

But seriously though, name me another engine that has been known to see 1,000,000 miles.....

mccombie_5
01-27-06, 05:15 PM
I have every faith that my 1998 S600 will be running for 100, 200, 300, 400 or even 500 thousand miles :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 05:17 PM
I wouldnt doubt it....

Claire or Craig?

mccombie_5
01-27-06, 05:18 PM
I wouldnt doubt it....
Claire or Craig?
Ah, Sorry, it's me, Claire.
It's me until Monday.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 05:21 PM
ha I just figured that Craig would sneak in and post with out telling anyone it was him :sneaky:

Claire, why dont you make your own username?
Maybe Mccombie 4 or Mccombie 7.....

mccombie_5
01-27-06, 05:31 PM
ha I just figured that Craig would sneak in and post with out telling anyone it was him :sneaky:
Claire, why dont you make your own username?
Maybe Mccombie 4 or Mccombie 7.....

I may well do that, means Craig would have less on his "ownership" section though!

My son is on here as mccombie_6, I might pop up and surprise you all later!

Actually, that's Craig's style, he'd do it without saying.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 05:33 PM
I may well do that, means Craig would have less on his "ownership" section though!

I guess he could always pretend he owns cars he doesnt..

If I see something like an Enzo, an Aston Martin Vanquish and a M-B 300SEL Gullwing on his list I'll be suspicious.... :hmm:

mccombie_5
01-27-06, 05:36 PM
I guess he could always pretend he owns cars he doesnt..

If I see something like an Enzo, an Aston Martin Vanquish and a M-B 300SEL Gullwing on his list I'll be suspicious.... :hmm:

Haha! Bentley Arnage may be appearing soon if he's nice to me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 05:38 PM
Ohhhh yeahhhh Claire,

Instead of getting an Arnage, you should ask him to get you a 1972-76 Lincoln Mark IV or a 77-79 Mark V!!!!

:D :D :D

mccombie_5
01-27-06, 06:26 PM
He wants the Arnage for himself, they are down (used) in price now to a level where it isn't going to break the bak to buy one.

I'm still getting my GT

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 06:29 PM
I suppose, but no one else in the UK has a Mark IV!

Think of it as the bigger, slower, meaner predecessor to the Continental GT!

lol I think the Mark IV would actually get better MPG! :histeric:

mccombie_5
01-27-06, 06:34 PM
I suppose, but no one else in the UK has a Mark IV!
Think of it as the bigger, slower, meaner predecessor to the Continental GT!
lol I think the Mark IV would actually get better MPG! :histeric:

He talked to me about a Continental Mark V. I said no, he's too loving of these old American cars, it'll rust all over my driveway!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-27-06, 06:38 PM
I'm due for a Mark IV after college!

mccombie_5
01-27-06, 06:47 PM
I'm due for a Mark IV after college!

I might let him have one when we retire to Canada in a few years :sneaky:

SilverFleetwood85
01-27-06, 09:21 PM
Jesda, congradulations on your purchase.:) I have always liked the e34 5 Series, it is probably the best looking 5 series ever made. BMW parts are actually fairly resonable. My friend had an 84 BMW 6 series (beautiful car) and when he went into get a part for it, they were always in stock, and much more resonable then parts for my old Acura Legend. BMW's are very reliable except they do sometimes have funky electrical problems, which usually fix themselves.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
01-28-06, 06:33 AM
Wouldn't have bought the BMW myself due ot my bad experiences with the brand, and the bad experiences of everyone I know who has had one, but good luck with it!

If you service it yourself (and with a car that old you may as well) then you can avoid spending the value of the car in servicing over the next 3 years.

I consider their electrics the most questionable aspect, but at least everything works at the moment, so that's a promising start.

The enignes are not as bullet proof as people will have you believe. The ones with alloy heads are a complete nightmare and are best avoided.

Thankfully you don't have an auto (cos they won't take much a of a beating neither and cost an absolute packet to fix).

Keep us updated with how you get on with it!

When it comes to German cars, older (ie pre 1993) seems better.
From around that time onwards, they have got progressively worse.

Kev
01-28-06, 01:07 PM
I might let him have one when we retire to Canada in a few years :sneaky:Canada?! Forget Canada, you guys should come down here to the Central Coast of California! It might be a little weird but it's a lot of fun!

Destroyer
01-28-06, 11:29 PM
[/QUOTE] When it comes to German cars, older (ie pre 1993) seems better.
From around that time onwards, they have got progressively worse.[/QUOTE]
I keep hearing this stuff, even from the Mercedes forums themselves!. My 97 S320 has given me no headaches whatsover. I love it and is proving to be a reliable car. Watch my car blow up now that I said that. :eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-06, 02:13 AM
The W140 S Classes are pretty much the pinnacle of Mercedes Benz as far as I'm concerned! :)

Jesda
01-29-06, 05:45 AM
One thing I like about high-mileage cars is that theyve already proven their long term worthiness. Sounds illogical, yes, but it makes sense at the same time. This car has 237k and runs like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I love the exhaust note at high revs, but I need to patch up that exhaust leak because the drone on the highway is getting a little old.

davesdeville
01-29-06, 06:35 AM
I have every faith that my 1998 S600 will be running for 100, 200, 300, 400 or even 500 thousand miles :)

Ha ha, yeah, you have the cash to fix it.

CMC
01-29-06, 08:36 AM
Ha ha, yeah, you have the cash to fix it.

You'd be surprised, we try to keep our garage, outside the main two cars we use, on a low servicing and maintenance budget, we have a good mechanic, he's a family friend. .