: Need new tires for the V....

trekster
01-25-06, 11:29 PM
Well, after 10k miles my toyo's t1s have died out on me. So, i'm in the market for new tires and was wondering which are the best tires you guys would recommend me?

CIWS
01-26-06, 09:29 AM
I think most here may recommend you do a forum search through the multitude of threads about tires and choice. (it can seem to become a touchy subject at times)
However my first question back to you would be what conditions you plan to or expect to be driving in, like mostly summer dry conditions, ice/snow, need high speed rated, super sticky performance, etc. Plus are you going to go with runflats or non runflats ? (if your going with runflats it narrows the choices greatly)

trekster
01-26-06, 10:02 AM
I think most here may recommend you do a forum search through the multitude of threads about tires and choice. (it can seem to become a touchy subject at times)
However my first question back to you would be what conditions you plan to or expect to be driving in, like mostly summer dry conditions, ice/snow, need high speed rated, super sticky performance, etc. Plus are you going to go with runflats or non runflats ? (if your going with runflats it narrows the choices greatly)I just need some super high performance tires that's sticky and that's also does great on the rain. I haven't been a fan of runflats. Then again, the f1's gave the runflats a bad name for me.
The V never sees snow or ice.

CIWS
01-26-06, 10:51 AM
Cool. I'm still on the original F1 runflats, although I've been looking around at a new set to replace them before our rainy months get here (mid Mar-May) since my V is a daily driver. I need something I can count on with rain soaked freeways and not hydroplaning. Another I looked at today was this one..

http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=UHP&id=223&title=UHP+Tires

Mutlu
01-26-06, 11:17 AM
I just got the Falken Azenis 615s 255/40/18s.

They look very good on the car and I will be trying them out on the track pretty soon.

I'll give you more feedback once I get back from the track.

The price is pretty good too. $160 a pop.

alcast082
01-26-06, 11:34 AM
the azensis are an excellen tire for all out dry, they will not handle very well in the rain.
I have the falken fk451 and i could not be more impressed. GO with 245/45/18 on the front and 275/40/18 on the rear.
The difference is amazing, less wheel hop, more meat= more taction, all around a great tire.

rand49er
01-26-06, 11:47 AM
Check out last month's issue of Car & Driver. They did tire comparo, and, based upon their weighting of various factors, Goodyear GS-D3s came out on top ... decent wear rating, too. Say what you want about how they did the comparison, at least it attempts to get a quantitative measurement (as opposed to SOTP-only testimony).:duck:

markbinkc
01-26-06, 11:58 AM
Check out last month's issue of Car & Driver. They did tire comparo, and, based upon their weighting of various factors, Goodyear GS-D3s came out on top ... decent wear rating, too. Say what you want about how they did the comparison, at least it attempts to get a quantitative measurement (as opposed to SOTP-only testimony).:duck:

Saw that too. I checked on these thru tire rack, and they said that they were on backorder from the factory until March. Think I'm just going with some Bridgstone Potenza pole positions myself.

verbs
01-26-06, 12:11 PM
I just got the Falken Azenis 615s 255/40/18s.

They look very good on the car and I will be trying them out on the track pretty soon.

I'll give you more feedback once I get back from the track.

The price is pretty good too. $160 a pop.

Do you have pics of the tires on the car? I wanted to see how much bigger the wheel well gap gets before ordering these since the tires are .6" shorter in diameter than the F1s.

Mutlu
01-26-06, 09:44 PM
Just got back from the track and I would highly recommend the 615s.
They handle absolutely amazing and actually feel softer than the OEM tires. The ride is how it should have been when driving. Steering is beefed up too. I think these are probably one of the best improvements I have done so far and for $160 you cannot beat it.

I will try and post pics tomorrow so you can see how they look on the car.

DILLIGAF
01-26-06, 09:54 PM
I have called on the 615s too,definately what i'm going with.2 of my runflats won't road force balance good enough.Car is getting scary,doing the speed limit for a while.

verbs
01-27-06, 01:30 AM
Just got back from the track and I would highly recommend the 615s.
They handle absolutely amazing and actually feel softer than the OEM tires. The ride is how it should have been when driving. Steering is beefed up too. I think these are probably one of the best improvements I have done so far and for $160 you cannot beat it.

I will try and post pics tomorrow so you can see how they look on the car.Thanks Mutlu!!

trekster
01-27-06, 02:16 AM
Cool. I'm still on the original F1 runflats, although I've been looking around at a new set to replace them before our rainy months get here (mid Mar-May) since my V is a daily driver. I need something I can count on with rain soaked freeways and not hydroplaning. Another I looked at today was this one..

http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=UHP&id=223&title=UHP+Tires I decided to try these tires out. Does anyone know what's the biggest size I can go without rubbing?

CIWS
01-27-06, 08:17 AM
I probably won't be too far behind you. But it will be good to hear your impression of them. Plus I need to check into the details of the " Free 45 day road test" that might be handy, just in case.

mlg
01-27-06, 06:47 PM
quality controlfor gsd3s SUCK. i luv so3s and they are ROUND. excellent performance from new til bald , dry and wet. only caveat is, can hydroplane only when almost bald, so beware.

Ziplicon Tuesday
01-27-06, 08:50 PM
For what it's worth, I just had Conti Extreme Contacts installed this week...they're said to be ultra high performance AS tires. So far I'm very happy. The handling is damn near as sharp as with the F-1's (in the real world including backroads) PLUS the wheel hop is greatly reduced - no sh*t. Another dude on the forum verified having the same experience. Plus they are very resonably priced and great in the rain.

I was planning to put the F-1's back on in the summer but may get rid of'em instead - only have 3500 miles on'em - I'm that pleased.

On thing though, I'm not sure I like seeing some of the tread on the side of the tire - the F-1's look a little, not much, but a little, better.

So whatever works for you....just tryin' to help.