: Boost Guage Q

DILLIGAF
01-25-06, 10:40 PM
I'm in the process of installing a boost guage in my ashtray.I haven't cut the hole bigger where the cig lighter was yet.My problem is the boost guage is to deep to allow the ash tray to close,mainly due to the length of the stem coming out of the back where you hook the line up to it.I can shim it up alittle on top that will help some.I wonder if I can remove the stem from the guage and put a lower profile stem in, or a 90 stem?Do you guys think this can be accomplished without fn the guage up?Any help appreciated.

lasstss
01-26-06, 10:39 AM
I'm in the process of installing a boost guage in my ashtray.I haven't cut the hole bigger where the cig lighter was yet.My problem is the boost guage is to deep to allow the ash tray to close,mainly due to the length of the stem coming out of the back where you hook the line up to it.I can shim it up alittle on top that will help some.I wonder if I can remove the stem from the guage and put a lower profile stem in, or a 90 stem?Do you guys think this can be accomplished without fn the guage up?Any help appreciated.

I cut both of the studs, I also cut the brass air connection to 1/2" in length and re tapped it to 10/32 and put in a miniature pneumatic elbow. Its tight but it works. You cant beat those VDO vision guages for looks though!

Luna.
01-26-06, 11:21 AM
I wish we could come up with a better solution as to where to mount the boost gauge than the ashtray; I just can't come up with a better spot. :bonkers:

DILLIGAF
01-26-06, 01:20 PM
I wasn't sure about shortening the stem,I disected an old guage to see whats inside.I will shorten the stem and put a low profile brass 90 on the guage,that should give me enough room.Thanks guys

heavymetals
01-26-06, 01:27 PM
I would propose an led array.

Kind of like a shift indicator, but ascending order and different colors.

wildwhl
01-26-06, 05:59 PM
heavy has it correct.

Just have to build one like the Audi guys do - and stash it somewhere convenient.

WW

heavymetals
01-26-06, 07:03 PM
Converting to this kind of readout shoudn't be to hard.

Just need to know the transducer signal level range.

I wanted to build a "blue tooth" accessory central that I could receive signals from remote transducers and then disply the readings, all wireless.

(I think NASCAR already has it).:canttalk:

Geno
01-26-06, 07:55 PM
Here's the installation I have in my V. Most high performance shops can fabricate the metal panel used to house the gages. It's true the area where the ashtray is mounted is not the most optimal, but a boost gage doesn't need to be scrutinized as closely as a tach. It works fine for me and more importantly, it's better than no gages.

The picture shows my boost and A/F ratio gage, with an auxilary plug.

lasstss
01-26-06, 09:22 PM
Here's the installation I have in my V. Most high performance shops can fabricate the metal panel used to house the gages. It's true the area where the ashtray is mounted is not the most optimal, but a boost gage doesn't need to be scrutinized as closely as a tach. It works fine for me and more importantly, it's better than no gages.

The picture shows my boost and A/F ratio gage, with an auxilary plug.

Interesing, thats a novel idea. Suggestion>>>A little more backslant, flat black enamel Black bezel guages.. A hell of a lot simpler than what I did. :thumbsup:

DILLIGAF
01-26-06, 09:50 PM
Recap,well the guage is working but not fully installed.While putting the elbow on it,I had to get medieval with that effer.VDO guages are gorilla tuff!I was 10 seconds from going out back throwing it up and shooting it.Reads 6lbs at WOT just like the dyno shops did.Does anyone want to explain to this goober exactly how vacuum becomes boost because of a pressure switch?Makes me go Huhh.

heavymetals
01-26-06, 10:29 PM
The vacuum switch turns on the boost for the fuel pump.

The vacuum takeoff is usually a right angle to the air flow (like blowing over a coke bottle). As the air flow increases (boost) the air pressure in the right angle will drop. Ergo boost=more vacuum.